What do you class as THE most important....

Tia

Visit site
.....item of horse goods?

I know there are many things which make up health and happiness for horses, but which one takes the edge in your opinion? And what item of tack surprises you that other people don't take as being important?

I am not so fussed as others about saddles, because if I don't have a perfectly fitting saddle then I would just ride bareback until I found one. For me the most important item is by far the bit. It is also the bit which surprises me the most where other people are concerned; I have no qualms about spending a lot of money on a top notch bit, whereas I see a lot of other people who wouldn't dream of spending more than £20 on one but have no problem with spending £100 on a bridle. To me I would much prefer the other way around.

Malibu

Visit site
bits and saddles are very important because they can affect your horses so much, i love kk bits and i would "not be" without them! bridle, boots etc are important but do not affect the horses "way of going" as much as the bit and saddle!

airedale

Visit site
safe fencing for turnout

safe fences to jump

safe hacking

but the most important thing is a 'safe' diet for the horse, consisting of QUALITY hay, top branded feed and no risk of shortages.

so many people have designer imported expensive horses and then stable them at yards that feed 'livery mix' or 'livery nuts' - which to me is equivalent to feeding ASDA 'smart price' instead of M&S or Waitrose.

Why spend 40k importing a horse and then feed it cr*p.

I've known people feeding 'less than good quality' feed find rat droppings, etc in totally unpalatable sh1t rather than pay for the D&H or Spillers equivalent.

'rubbish in - rubbish out' (aka potential for large vets bills or buying lots of supplements )

bits - yep - but most horses will go reasonably in any reasonable bit

and most horses will go well in a reasonable saddle - I do think that a lot of horses with 'saddle' problems can be brought back to horses made 'crooked' by riders who themselves cannot sit square and level and should themselves go back to 6 weeks of lunge work and then review if their nag needs a 1000 quid saddle or they just need a good osteopath ;-))

Blizzard

Visit site
You are so right, I think many people get too concerned with how the horse looks or what brand he is wearing than with the actual functioning parts of his tack.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i love kk bits

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I haven't had a horse that dislikes them - all of mine go superbly in them so I feel that they are definitely worth the money.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but the most important thing is a 'safe' diet for the horse

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent item and good reasons for choosing it.

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i love kk bits

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I haven't had a horse that dislikes them - all of mine go superbly in them so I feel that they are definitely worth the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My horse really doesnt like hers. She tends to take the pee in it and goes so much better in a bradoon. All that money down the drain
mad.gif

As for my item, I would have to say a good quality rug. They last for ages and IMO are vital for a clipped out horse. Also always buy good quality tack for the same reason that it will last.
The item I wouldnt be without is a hoof pick and so cheap for something so useful.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Not actually an item of tack but adequate turn out. And with companions too, not alone.
So many horse problems come from over stabling, stuffy atmospheres with deep litter beds etc, and I swear most arthritis related things come from standing still on hard concrete.
Being out with at least one other horse is vital to a horse's peace of mind, watching their inter action as a group you soon see companions make them feel happier and more relaxed.
(I speak as someone who kept their horse alone in a big garden too!)
As pure items of tack a good fitting perfectly positioned saddle would be my piece of kit. My whole philosophy of training has always been "Do not interfere with he horse until you can sit on it without interfering first!" A saddle which puts the rider in a secure balanced position makes this easier.
We must have literally dozens of bits from very expensive to cheapies, and all have had a use at some time. I prefer the mixed metal ones but quite whether the horses care I'm unsure!

teapot

Visit site
turnout and grazing for me.

You could have the best and most expensive tack in the world but if your horse has been standing in a muddy field for it 1 hour only of turnout - it's going to be miserable.

The yard I'm at, been there 6yrs but have ridden at various other RSs during this time. Some of the happiest horses I've come across are the ones I worked with and still ride. They're out 24/7 on rotated grazing. Don't think I've ever unhappy horse there.

Plus horses are trickle feeders - good grazing provides that constant supply of food

clipclop

Visit site
Lifestyle for the horse.

Turnout, ability to move around, constant access to good food and clean water.

Regarding tack, I have pondered and pondered and there are so many if's and but's I abandoned thinking about that anymore,,,it was doing my head in.
tongue.gif

Chex

Visit site
Same for me, most important is good grazing and friends for Chex. Not so fussed about tack, I would ride bareback and with a halter if I had to (rides might be a tad scary though!). His rugs are important too, he would be miserable about them.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
err now let me think......ahh yes that would be Camrosa! (I know I am sounding like a broken record player
grin.gif
)

Other than that a happy life for Ellie. She has had such a rough time in the past so i just want a happy horsey life for her

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Routine! I think that so many horses/ponies get stressed and behave badly because they have a poor routine. I think this is the single most important thing for a horse if they know what to expect they will be safe and confident in your care, making every aspect of stable management easier.

Tia

Visit site
Oh jeez....you will be sounding like me in no time
grin.gif
. It is a really amazing product though isn't it.

Patches

Visit site
Can't think of one single thing that screams out at me as "the thing".

However, possessions wise, I'm really pleased with my Dually Headcollar and my Avalon Clippers for Patches. I also wouldn't be without my High Viz wear.

The thing I keep feeling that I should put is my farrier! Without him I wouldn't be enjoying Patches as much as I am right now. He's stopped her from tripping and stumbling and with his patience we've turned a horse who reared when being shod into a horse who stands so well behaved that the farrier says she's "boring, I used to like the challenge!" He's also done a great job of sorting out Talis's offside fore that was starting to turn out.

Tack wise...I love my Saddle Co saddle. Wouldn't want to ride in anything else now. I've also discovered a love of copper bits. If Patches wasn't happy with her current bit, I would have moved onto the KK or Mylers. As you say, no point scrimping on a bit for horse's who aren't happy in their mouth. The outlay, should your horse go better in such a bit, is worth it for the rewards.

Kezza

Visit site
A saddle as riding bareback long term is not good for the horses back IMO... A safe, comfortable and secure saddle can make the most explosive of horses rideable and enjoyable. Without my superbly fitting saddle, my boy would be a complete nightmare to stay on top of.
cool.gif