What do you consider a 'long' journey?

nato

Visit site
I am blessed that most training and competition venues are all within 1-1.5 hours journey from my yard. I often go alone and my horse is a great traveller. However, tomorrow I have to make a 3.5 hour journey, mostly motorway, and with the wind we've been having I am a bit nervous. To me, this is a long journey.

What would you consider a 'long' journey, and any tips for me? I know once I am on the road I will be fine :)

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
I am blessed that most training and competition venues are all within 1-1.5 hours journey from my yard. I often go alone and my horse is a great traveller. However, tomorrow I have to make a 3.5 hour journey, mostly motorway, and with the wind we've been having I am a bit nervous. To me, this is a long journey.

Just to reassure you about the winds. We drove our trailer down the M5 in gales and horse just behaved as usual. For me if a journey is going to take 4 hours I feel that the horse needs a break in the middle for water, head down. Depending on the horse anything between 2-5hours is a long journey

nato

Visit site
Thanks :) I'm not worried about my horse really, she is a super traveller. More worried about the trailer weaving on the road and lorries overtaking! I'll go slow as I need to anyway.

I usually stop halfway through my journey for a coffee so I'll do the same this time, I've been advised there's no need to offer water during this trip unless my journey takes longer than expected. Without a trailer I could do it in 2 hours so I am probably overestimating the time required but I'd like to err on the side of caution!

Last edited:

LibbyL

Visit site
I live on an island so anything taking the horse off the island is a long journey for me because that would include an hour on the ferry plus half an hour waiting time. I live 30 mins from ferry so I suppose that means anything over 2 hours I would consider long :)

Tnavas

Visit site
Long journey to me would be 5 hrs or more, getting to Horse of the Year here in NZ involves a trip on roads where it's not really possible to stop, narrow roads, mountainous twisty roads. Horses seem to cope well. Mine get Sugarbeet, well soaked before a long journey.

If you are worried about trailer sway, have tyre pressure checked carefully as uneven pressures is one of the main causes.

nato

Visit site
We made it safely :) I left early as the winds were set to pick up at lunchtime, and the trip was a breeze, we did it in 3 hours as there was no traffic all the way which I had allowed time for.

Pedantic

Visit site
Took me about 3 hours to take horse on holiday, that was non stop driving except for pee stops, I wouldn't want my horse travelling any longer than that, it's a long time stuck in one position in a small space in a trailer, don't know about lorries as never used one.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The longest one ofmine has travelled was just over 300 miles. He was 10 - and Mr. Laidback. He travelled well - according to the transporters - and had an overnight stop. But he was stressed when he arrived - and got worse (as his new owner was nervous.) After 4 weeks I had him back. He travelled beautifully and got off the lorry as if he'd never gone anywhere. Who can work them out!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
In Cape Town, South Africa, we did 750 and 990 miles to shows in Johannesburg and Durban. Horses would spend the night somewhere along the way and were checked every four hours or so. They were absolutely fine.

A friend bought a yearling with delivery included from a breeder who sent her horses on the 990 mile trip without stopping. Horse did look a bit worse for wear when he arrived, on the ribby side and very quiet but picked up in a few hours and had no lasting negative effects.

As far a driving goes, we tried to swap every four hours. I think boxing is more stressful for the human than the horse!

rara007

Visit site
Over an hour and half in trailer or 3 hours on lorry I'd consider long. We've been all the way to Hungary from Essex so we've done multiday trips, and been to Scotland in a day, but still over hour half trailer or three hours lorry I'd take it into consideration :)

foraday

Visit site
Anything over 100 miles I would consider a reasonable journey ie 2 hours

Ensure your EQUINE breakdown recovery is up to date we use Equine Rescue Services who are excellent and will look after the horse all the way.

Carry water, feed, haylage and horse pjs just in case!!!!

Ensure all tyres are inflated correctly for towing.

Oil and water checks on tow vehicle.

Passport for horse!

Sweeties and drinks for you!

Maps!!!!!!!!! Do not rely on sat nav or drain your phone using that sat nav!!!

I would offer water when you get a coffee as it is SOOOOOO warm at the moment, very spring like not winter at all. so offer some water.

Enjoy the trip! Hopefully the roads won't be too bad-only queues for the shops as of course being shut for one day means you have to buy the shop out!