what do you do if.......

Claireg9

Visit site
your pregnant and still wanting to ride?
my friend is struggleing to find jodphurs to fit, is there asuch a thing as maternity jodphurs/riding wear?

horsegirl

Visit site
Should you ride when pregnant? Surely it can't be advised? Would be interested to hear the opinions of others. Can't she wear leggings? They would be quite comfortable I would imagine.

Halfpass

Visit site
I'm a midwife and of course you can carry on riding. Basically if you feel comfy than carry on doing what you would normally (obviously advanced eventing may not be ideal!!
laugh.gif
). The problem realy only comes when heavily pregnant with getting on and off. If the pregnancy is straight forward then carry on!! Obviously take advice from your own midwife if there are complications. Leggings for riding also seem like a very good idea cheap and stretchy!!!!
grin.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
She needs the padding at the knees, plus she says she doesnt want to look like a tramp! (We have some really smart people at our yard. Shes only 4.5 months at the mo, as it gets to uncomfy she'll stop but i dont think its a probklem to do light schooling.

Sooty

Visit site
Pregnancy is not an illness, and should not be treated as such. Riding is great exercise. Taken to the extreme, you wouldn't get out of bed when pregnant! I wouldn't take too much notice of NHS direct, they have been known to be wrong about one or two things and I suspect this may be one of them.

harvgj19

Visit site
As long as she feels comfortable I see no reason for her not to carry on riding. It is her choice after all.

As for NHS Direct not recommending it, well, she could trip and fall down in the street, or fall down the stairs, but you won't see them encouraging you to stay in bed the whole time wrapped in cotton wool either!!!!

Prudence

Visit site
My sister rode till she was 6 months pregnant. Mary King was still eventing at top level when she was pregnant - didn't she win Gatcombe or something?? Anky van Grunsven won individual GOLD in Athens when she was pregnant! I reckon it's OK!

Jo C

Visit site
I rode until I was 8 months pregnant I only stopped because it got uncomfortable. I used jodpurs 1 size bigger than normal with an elasticated waist - can't remember the make now but I can have a look at home tonight I still have them!
smile.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Tell her to enjoy herself until it gets too uncomfortable ( a friend did until 3 weeks before the birth and would have carried on but hubby put his foot down LOL!
grin.gif
) The obvious thing is not to take any risks and to keep tottering along gently for the last few months, no gymkhana games or jumping!
She will be far healthier and stronger when it comes to the huffing and pushing believe me! Good luck to her.

Claireg9

Visit site
Thanks everyone i will pm you Kildalton as that would be great, she'll really appreciate it.
And Jo C if you could let me know the make that will be great, if you were riding at 8 months they must be stretchy so could be ideal!
Thanks again all x

horsegirl

Visit site
I know pregnancy is not an illness, I do have 2 children and continued to do most things while pregnant, however I would be too concerned about falling off (a bit different to tripping in the street I think as you have that much further to fall) and injuring the baby to ride while pregnant. Of course exercise in pregnancy is good but there must be a limit? Would you go rock climbing/sky diving/parachuting/run the marathon?

Claireg9

Visit site
yeah i know she done riding last time she was pregnant but always used jogging bottoms, but she was at a place where everyone wore joggers, but at our yard there is so many people wearing all the best makes let alone no jods at all!so she feels a bit self conscious.
Shes only planning on chooling and her boy is pretty good so unlikely to fall, and her midwife told her last time she found the birth easier due to her stomach muscles from riding!
anyhow it is up to her, and i know if she thought it was a real risk she wouldnt do it, and she's only gonna ride once or twice a week and im gonna ride her boy for another couple of days a week to keep him fit and ticking over so he doesnt go mad through freshness!!!!!!
I think its ok, but each to there own if you dont feel safe dont do it, if you do feel safe do do it.
Great thank you to all for your input though xx

matthew

Visit site
I think as long as your careful-you have to carry on pretty much as normal-its early stages that you most likely to miscarry! my mum fell off when she was 8months pregnant with me and i was fine! up to the individual though i think!

Eliza120280

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mary King was still eventing at top level when she was pregnant - didn't she win Gatcombe or something??

[/ QUOTE ]

Mary did win a big international event when about five or six months pregnant - there was an article in H&H a while back about riding and pregnancy - there was a photo of her on King William at the prize giving and you could even see her baby bump!

Some people dont like to take the risk but its each to their own I say! Dont think I could stop riding for a whole nine months!