What do you do on bonfire night? ?

Peglo

Visit site
What is everyone’s routine for bonfire night?
do you take horses in early?
Leave them out?
Put radios on?
Keep normal routine?
Anyone so rural they have no fireworks about?
What do you do to try and help dogs cats etc?

My oldies and field mates have never been fussed about fireworks thankfully. I usually keep my normal routine and just take them in when suits. Don’t know what new girl will think but hopefully if she’s anxious, the oldies not reacting will reassure her.
we have a lot of shooting and goose bangers going on around us over winter so I’m not sure if they have helped desensitise them (even though i hate the shooting, I guess I may have to admit they might’ve helped ?)

hopefully will get all the cats in and leave the tv on for them.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 and nothing will change. Strangely the spooky one seems to like to watch them and has a calming influence on the companion pony. However where we are now we don't get nearby fireworks. Good luck everyone.

ihatework

Visit site
I actually don’t do a great deal differently.

Im fairly rural, there is a YF display about a mile away tonight that I’m going to. I’ll make sure the cats are shut in, the TV will be left on (but I do that anyway). Dog & cats dont seem to bother about fireworks thankfully.

The horses just stay in their normal routine and I don’t do anything special for them - but then there aren’t any very close displays, I’m sure they will see/hear fireworks in the distance

asmp

Visit site
As the fireworks around here have already started I’m trying not to worry about it too much. We’ve decided to leave out this year (we haven’t brought them in yet for winter) as spotty one gets more upset if he can hear things but not see them.

Auslander

Visit site
I don't do anything different - they are in if they come in, and stay out if they live out. They are in settled herds, and take comfort from each other.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Normal routine, my horses aren't bothered. We are fireworks central here so not much choice but for them to get used to it really.

One of my dogs hates them but has lost her hearing a bit in the last year, so now doesn't seem to notice as long as she is in the house. Will have the radio on just in case though and will put earplugs in to take her out for the evening constitutional.

teddypops

Visit site
I used to do nothing different but unfortunately the travellers who moved onto a field about 1/2 a mile away have the biggest, noisiest and longest firework display and my old pony hates it, so I will be moving the ponies as close to the yard so I can keep an eye on them.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
One of mine is truly terrified of gunshots so when the shoot is about or fireworks are going off he stays out because he turns himself inside out if stabled and the last thing I need is him getting colic. I am going to give him some Procalm to help him relax and plenty of hay in the field. Luckily the other one couldn’t care less and they will be together.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There was a prolonged fireworks party last Saturday, locally. Our horses are living out and they were fascinated by the display down the valley. They will stay out over the weekend, there are bonfires planned in the nearby village, as well those which will be visible from miles away. I am sure the horses will be kept entertained both tonight and tomorrow. However, all the overnight hay will be offered in the shelter, just in case of stray fireworks (which isn't unknown).
The dogs don't care, they will be in the house showing the 4 month old Lab that we provide doggy daycare for, that there is absolutely nothing to worry about. As it happens, she was coming to us tonight anyway, as her owner is working late but they are both coming to us tomorrow evening, as their neighbours are all having a big bonfire party and we don't want the pup's first fireworks experience to be traumatic.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Ours are out 24/7 on the edge of a village and we do have to deal with fireworks a fair bit at this time of year. Fortunately ours are not too worried - occasionally they have the odd hoon around but we generally just ply them with hay and hope for the best. We do have an elderly cat but she is losing her hearing now as they used to make her nervous, but the chickens are frightened of them. One had a real meltdown last year and I found the remnants of a rocket in the chicken run which must've fallen in. I love this time of year for many reasons but fireworks isn't one of them!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Nothing at all. They just stick
To normal routine which is currently still summer in during the day out at night. (I’m hanging on to the last drop of easy routine ?)
There was a big sounding display last night that sounded close. They were all fine. We live on a farm with a shoot so they are fairly used to bangs which I think probably helps.
I’ve been lucky enough never to have a horse bothered by fireworks though to be fair.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm rural but neighbours either side of us set off fireworks. The ones to the right of us aren't too bad, but the neighbours up the hill buy seriously loud ones that freak me out never mind the ponies. I think because we are on a hill with a valley below us it amplifies the bangs.

The last time was a few days before bonfire night and I had no idea they were having a fireworks party. They set them off on land over looking the ponies paddock. Ponies were absolutely terrified and every time their was a bang they literally ran for their lives. I waited for a pause I explosions and brought them in. Unfortunately they were in a state of severe panic by that point and I sat on the yard with them for 2 hours trying to calm them down.

Last year throughout the fireworks season I put them in the school from when it got dark to around 10pm and then turned them back out which worked well. Also introducing an unflappable Fell pony to the herd who is fascinated by fireworks helped!

Reactions: tda

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Cat stays in, dog we exposed to fireworks from a young age and we also live near army ranges so loud bangs are the norm for her and she’s not bothered.

Pony will see stay out but she’s pretty rural

Annagain

Visit site
Normally our yard is fine on bonfire night, the nearest displays are about 2 miles away and the horses stay out and don't seem to care. However, yesterday the next doo neighbours told the YO they were going to have a 'few' fireworks tonight as they're having a party for their daughter's 40th. YO has told us in case we want to bring in. The problem is the yard is far closer to their garden than the bottom end of the field so we're torn. We also don't know what a 'few' means. They're very rich so could easily blow a few hundred pounds on a big display lasting an hour or could, in consideration for the animals (although if they did that they wouldn't do it at all) only let off one or two small ones and the whole thing could be over in 2 minutes.

To top it off, I'm at a wedding do tonight so will have to leave M's owner in charge. I hate placing that responsibility on her - it's not that I don't trust her, I just think it's a lot to ask. I can't believe people, who are normally very reasonable, think this is a good idea living next door to a farm and with 5 livery yards within 1/2 a mile of their house. YO isn't happy but doesn't want to rock the boat too much if it's a one off.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Annagain it is illegal to set fireworks off within a certain distance of livestock and horses. I think it’s the animal welfare act 2006. If the fields/yard are close enough they may be breaking the law. I can’t rmember the exact distance but it might be worth looking it up just in case YO can make a case for having it further away.

Annagain

Visit site
Annagain it is illegal to set fireworks off within a certain distance of livestock and horses. I think it’s the animal welfare act 2006. If the fields/yard are close enough they may be breaking the law. I can’t rmember the exact distance but it might be worth looking it up just in case YO can make a case for having it further away.

The law doesn't prescribe a distance, it just says 'near'. It also says they must warn the farmer but I don't think it absolves them of any liability if they're knowingly letting them off too close. The yard is about 30m from the closest possible part of the garden, the field is literally just the other side of the lane from the closest part of the garden but if they stay at the bottom they're about 200m away. I think it's likely they will use the lawn which is about 50m from the yard, on the other side of the house. If they use the bottom lawn they will be sending them out over my friend's yard at the bottom of the hill about 100m away from the closest part of her fields and about 200m from her yard.

scruffyponies

Visit site

I wish this were in any way enforced. Large public display just the other side of my fence last weekend.
I make a point of not making any changes to their management (they're out 24/7) within 2 weeks of bonfire night, keep them together, and hope they take comfort from each other. We haven't had any serious injuries in 12 years, but it's unnecessary and very stressful for the ponies, and for me.

tda

Visit site
I'm rural but neighbours either side of us set off fireworks. The ones to the right of us aren't too bad, but the neighbours up the hill buy seriously loud ones that freak me out never mind the ponies. I think because we are on a hill with a valley below us it amplifies the bangs.

The last time was a few days before bonfire night and I had no idea they were having a fireworks party. They set them off on land over looking the ponies paddock. Ponies were absolutely terrified and every time their was a bang they literally ran for their lives. I waited for a pause I explosions and brought them in. Unfortunately they were in a state of severe panic by that point and I sat on the yard with them for 2 hours trying to calm them down.

Last year throughout the fireworks season I put them in the school from when it got dark to around 10pm and then turned them back out which worked well. Also introducing an unflappable Fell pony to the herd who is fascinated by fireworks helped!
Same happened with my friends ponies, from a pub party on the other side of the valley, everything landed in ponies field! She went over and read them the riot act ?
Our lot live out anyway so no change, our near neighbour always has some proper loud banging/sonic boom type fireworks (they have horses too!)
Only one of the dogs is a bit twitchy but if you sit with him he can manage

BSL2

Visit site
Touch wood they are not bothered by fireworks. We do leave them out, weather permitting. Usually we time our winter turn around of bringing in at night, for a week or so after bonfire night.

Visit site
Mine will be out. Might move them into the field where slightly further away from the couple of houses just in case there are any in the village but it’s only a small village and there is a display tonight at the park so I can’t see them being many more close by. They aren’t that bothered anyway as they were near the firework championships before I moved them home!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine are used to the shoot and the firing range as well as the deer stalker so not usually bothered about loud noises. THeir fields are a reasonable distance from any displays. They’re both still out overnight so I may sure they’ve already seen a fair few this week from a distance.

Peglo

Visit site
Hope everyone stays safe and horses and pets have a stress free bonfire weekend!

wind and rain forecast here so might put a dampener on the fireworks ?

Melandmary

Visit site
Mine are all out. This will be mine and their first experience of bonfire night and fireworks living in an urban housing estate. Their field is surrounded on 2 sides by houses. I am hoping that they will be fine as they have heard plenty in their time just not in such close proximity. I have hung hay nets outside the barn so if they come towards the house for comfort the hay will take their minds of it. Unfortunately it is something they will have to get used to but fingers crossed there will be no issues

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine just come in at night as usual, although due to circumstances I was very late tonight. So far not a peep from the estate opposite. I remember a time when the fireworks would start at 5.00 as soon as it was dark, for the younger children and carry on all night with a huge party at the pup a little further away.

Nothing yet. I suppose the little children have grown up and people are becoming more aware that fireworks scare pets and there are a lot of dogs living there. We have had a fire engine though - someone must have reported our bonfire - i.e. annual rubbish burning.

Laurac13

Visit site
My oldie pony is in the stables next to the other liveries mare. He is always proper chilled. My recently retired gelding is out with my friends retired gelding I think they’ll be fine there won’t be any fireworks close by as we are on a private farm
My rescue dog got quite upset last year and was shaking as a neighbour decided to have a very loud display in his garden for his grand children. There’s extra cars outside his house so expecting the same this year. Dog is currently on the sofa with me and tv turned up !

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mine are in with lots of hay. I have worked out how to keep Mimosa busy with hay all night - I scatter her meadow grass chaff on it and then she spends the whole night looked for the chaff ?

Mim isn’t scared of fireworks but she does find them exciting and she will use any excuse to prance about snorting.

Milagra is genuinely worried about them, and loves her stable so I figured I’d play to her strengths today.

Frano

Visit site
Fireworks seem much noisier now. Which is a problem. Silent ones would be ok. My horses live out. Thunder and lightening no problem. But the more recent loud displays cause distress to me and the horses.