What do you do when tackroom locked shut and you need to ride?

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
answer: find an old bridle desperately in need of an oil, a spare bit and a pair of reins in same state as bridle and a extra thick numnah (essential due to size of withers)!

Apply to horse and ride bareback!

Tackroom lock has seized and YO can't fix till tomorrow so all tack locked in. luckily had old bridle and stuff in trunk by stable so used that

Dan was a saint and we even cantered he is progressing really well *touches wood and crosses fingers* now and just slowly building up fitness (getting fit again now after being treated with Tildren for navicular and bone spavins). Am trying to strengthen up his hindquarters again with lots of transistions and lateral work and have literally just started very short amounts of canter. Even though no saddle and not an ideal bit we were doing renvers, travers, shoulder in and half pass in trot and walk
grin.gif
grin.gif

One thing I have noticed is how much better with the bit he is. He had been getting increasingly heavy in the hand over the last few years which in hindsight was due to his feet/hocks, but he is pretty much as light as I have ever known him now in the hand and is working solely in the lozenge french link.

so was interesting this evening, good for my seat though and meant he was ridden, lets just hope they sort out the lock tomorrow so we can get back in to the tackroom!!

Anyway it all means I'm a happy Katie at the moment as I am getting to ride my horse again and he seems happy again as well
grin.gif
grin.gif

Katie

frannieuk

Visit site
Hey Katie, thats very diligent of you, I might have been tempted to say sod it and have a night off! Hope you don't ache today - I'm sure I would
smile.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
no pain today! i do occasionally ride bareback just for the hell of it to improve my seat!

Dan is very comfy though (as long as you have thick numnah to protect you from his huge withers) as he is built like a barrel! Also thankfully he doesn't have a tendancy to bounce sideways at any given oppourtunity having thankfully reached a decent standard of sensibleness :lol:

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Sorry - wasn't being cheeky!! I just cant imagine a numnah staying on my boy without a saddle - Mind you, hes a bit barrel like, was having visions of me sliding round his big ol' belly!