what do you do when you go to try a potential new horse?

ed&arch

Visit site
I am going to try a potential new horse tomorrow. I know the people very well, they are really into the dressage. The owner of the dressage horse has a 17year old-ex dressage horse-medium level. She loves him so much, but was going to put him down this year or next, because she has got youngsters being broken and doesnt want him to go to a home that will abuse him. I literally want a horse to do prelim dressage test with, nicely schooled, and he sounds perfect, bit worried about his age, but he is sound as a pound!

I have a few horses before, like my first horse etc. But now I can ride properly (walk, trot, canter, jump etc) what should I do to try him out? I really want a schoolmaster. So just do basic schooling, outline in the school? The three gaits?
any advice would be great!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Best thing you can do is take along your riding instructor, or an experienced yard owner. There's lots I do at a viewing, but if you having got buying experience then I strongly recommend you take someone that does.

colour me in

Visit site
don't be too put off by his age, sometimes older horses are the best. However make sure there is no other reason why they were going to have him pts. I'd be tempted to have him vetted for piece of mind.

For things to do when you try him out basically do what you described and if possible try him a few times.

best of luck

Shooting Star

Visit site
Do what you would want him for ;)

If you want him for prelim dressage, a bit of hacking and the odd jump why not try a practice test on him (you can always memorise one of the BD ones if you can't think up your own movements on the spot), pop a couple of jumps then ask to ride him on his own & in company in an open field or on a bridlepath and check that he's ok on the road too. (Best to get the owner to demonstrate each of these before you give it a go yourself!)

Also if it's important that he's a friendly character to handle then ask to handle him, suggest that they leave him in the field so you can go out and catch him together then you can see how he is to catch, groom & tack up too. And it's always worthwhile asking for a demonstration of how well they load into a lorry / trailer - if you want to compete a non loader is very stressful!

enjoy :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Everything's been said pretty much! Also ask if he loads well.

Seventeen is no age at all! Look at the ages of some of the horses competing in this year's olympic dressage :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
Dont be put off by his age at all horses are staying healthier and living alot longer nowadays. As said above though do get a vet to check him before you part from any cash as i find it a bit odd theyed PTS for the reasons youve stated!

Have a look at the Veteran Horse Society theres lots stuff on there for 15+ horses dressage and showing theyve also got a facebook page too.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
I find it odd they would put down a healthy horse because they have youngsters to be broken in and she doesnt want him abused. I can understand the abused train of thought, but something doesnt ring true? Not so much with the horse but her motives?

Guilt Trip perhaps??

I dont know them or the horse, but something doesnt sit right with me.

Dont be put off by his age- there were older in the Eventing at the Olympics.

get a feel for him, make sure you see him being caught and brushed and then tacked up, take note of his behaviour. Ask to see the owners on him, Gaits on both reins, extended trot, nothing major. Then have a little try yourself.

Brimmers

Visit site
Everything above

Also, this may not be so essential if you know the horse well, but I always insist that the owner rides the horse first. The last thing you want is to go view a "school master" that turns out to be anything but and can potentially put you in danger.

Take as much time as you can with the viewing, one one-hour schooling session is generally not enough to suss out a horse on every level. Grooming, loading, hacking, bathing, shoeing, catching etc, all these things can make life a lot more stressful if the horse is a pain for any of them!

Good luck! :D

R.A.H

Visit site
It the owner loves him so much perhaps she would do a lwvtb first, my first horse was 16 when I got him and to this day now I wish I could find another like him. A horse that's been there and done it are well worth their weight in gold.

micramadam

Visit site
I always ask if it is possible for a trial period.

We have had 3 of our 4 on trial before we bought.
1st was 6 weeks trial - whilst pony stayed with them.
2nd was 4 weeks trial - again horse stayed where it was till we bought.
3rd - 2 week trial - horse came to us but with a legal contract stating that if she wasn't suitable then we would take her back and get a full refund. We were liable for all livery costs, vet etc.
4th one home bred so doesn't count - we can't exactly send him back!

We like to see them in the stable, loose in the arena to see how they move without a rider, being groomed and tacked up. Ridden by them, ridden by us and also hacked out. If at all possible I also like to see how they load and unload but that is not a major factor as I would be prepared to work with a horse that is difficult to load.