What do you do with a useless pointless horse passport??????????

cariadssogreat

Visit site
(*I hope the old owners dont read this*)

I have just bought a coloured cob filly - of no particular breeding but the passport is not really right -
Its a veteran horse society passport (want it to be chaps)
Its got the worlds worst photo of the filly as a foal (could do so much better)
The owner filled out the horses profile - not a vet and not over stamped by a vet - is this right?
Finally they have stated she is to make 15.2 - which is never ever ever going to happen.

SO

How can I go about cancelling this one and setting up a chaps one?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
How old is the filly? My guess is under 4.....Why has she got a VHS passport? All bits in the passport either need to be filled out by a certified passport filling in person or a vet. My guess is the owners have nobbled together a passport which isn't legal. I'd get her passported with CHAPS pretty sharpish. You could check with the company that issued the passport just to double check that it is fake, if it is you won't need to have it over-stamped. Hope that made sense.
tongue.gif

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
Any horse can have a VHS passport - they don't have to be a veteran.

It is illegal to get another passport if your horse already has one - which yours does, even if the details are wrong/you don't like it.

You can have yours overstamped by CHAPS, but I'm not sure whether you can cancel it. My advice would be to speak to VHS & ask them about it.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
That depends if the passport is valid........and seeing as you have a filly...............who has a veteran horse society passport my guess is that it's fake, in which case shred it. I'd stilll chech the details with the VHS because the passport mght well belong to another horse. Get in contact with CHAPS and arrange to have registration papers sent out so you can get her passported PDQ.
I'd give DEFRA (they're in charge of all this passport business I'm sure!) a ring and report the people you brought the filly off because what they did is probably illegal.

foraday

Visit site
The veteran horse society were the cheapest around for horse passports-the horses do not have to be veterans to get one of these passports. When people were encouraged to get passports anyone could fill in the markings form. All the Pio's allowed this until defra changed their minds and made it a 'vet type' person. If I remember rightly it was allowed in 2003-4.

You can only have it stamped by another breed society now. It really doesn't matter who the pio is as long as the horse is what it says in the passport. Don't forget that your filly will grow and change.

When you are not travelling anywhere with your horse then send it in to get changes.

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
My horses passport was completed myself (drawings as well) as she already had her vetinary card with markings on that was signed by the vetinary practise.

All I had to do was forward a copy of this too with the passport application.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
As the above poster said, the VHS were very very cheap for passports when the legislation was first announced and to my knowledge, there were no restrictions on age.

Initially, the profiles didnt need to be filled in by passport agents or vets. I did my mares with the pleasure horse society very early on. I did contact the PHS and DEFRA after the changes were made about who filled in the profiles and was told by both that if the passport was approved before the changes, then it was legal.

If its any consolation, my current horse is passported with Wetherbys as being a TB x of unknown breeding. The previous owners were clueless and didnt have his papers but since my trainer had him straight from stud as a babe we knew he was hanoverian x connemara from fully traceable breed lines.

If it does make you feel better to get it stamped by another society then go for it but as others said, Im pretty sure you cant just choose to destroy it or apply for a different one. Just toss it in a drawer and ignore it til it's needed
wink.gif

magicgirl

Visit site
It sounds like your horse has a valid passport as a lot of people used the Veteran Horse Society. Very few horse passports have a picture so don't worry about that. Phone CHAPS and ask about rgistering with them and overstamping the passport. If you destroy it and get another one you are breaking the law and if cought could be heavily fined.

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Any Passport issued is the property of the Issuing Agency, suggest you send it back to them and ask them to cancel it as inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what I would do. Maybe worth phoning them first. I suspect as others have said, that the previous owner got one through the VHS because it was the cheapest option.

Not everyone requires to get a vet to do the drawing either. As a breeder of Fell ponies, I am able to do the drawings myself for registering my foals.

tuscanyD

Visit site
Curious to know why you want the passport to be by CHAPS? Is there any particular benefit?

Surely you [and your filly] can join the society no matter what kind of passport you have?

hairycob

Visit site
Up until 5th Jan 2003 a lot of organistaions allowed owners to fill in details and these are perfectly legal. On 5 jan a statement was made in Parliament tightening up the rules. I know the dates exactly as Pickle was vetted on 6 Jan & I was planning to save money by doing the description myself. I found out about the rule change 1 day too late
frown.gif
. Luckily some organisations would still work from a vetting report provided it was very recent (phew!).