What do you do with Rossettes if not a 1st/2nd?

TequilaMist

Visit site
Person at yard said that their kid didn't like their rossette (5th) so threw it in bin.One of the adults said they do the same with certain placings.
I would have gave my daughter a row for doing that with her rossies tbh as does seem a bit ungrateful but hey ho

So would you keep them regardless or do you not see the point in keeping 'lower' placed rossies.
Personally I'll take anything tho do tend to think if got a rossie and only 2 in class I've got it(2nd) on default!!But wouldn't throw it away.

Not looking to have a go -up to them what they do with it-just wondered how commonplace this was.

Last edited:

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
If its just a local small show I will take the rosette in the prize giving and then pop up to the organisers and give it them back to recycle :) not being ungrateful as if I took it it would end up staying in the car for a while and then thrown away when it's cleared out. I used to keep them all but loft is getting full after 15 years of competing!!

laura7981

Visit site
I keep all of mine.... Even the "specials" I got as a kid lol! Each rosette, regardless of colour has a story behind it, I'd never chuck mine.

sandi_84

Visit site
I've only ever been to 3 local shows but I've kept and cherished all of mine, even the one I got for just being there :D
I'd keep them all personally.

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
I've kept every single one. Competing at hickstead at the likes was huge fo me so even if it was an 8th place or clear round it would go on the pin board. I still love looking at them now. As earlier poster said each one holds a story or memory

little_critter

Visit site
I keep getting 4ths at the moment so I was actually quite pleased to get a 6th the other week just to break up the sea of green!
All of mine get tied to the bannisters.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't keep any of mine. None. They just get in the way. I tend to try and decline them if possible tbh. I had about three bin bags full of them (big ones like RIHS etc and sashes) chucked them all when I went to uni. I don't really see the point of the blimming things if I'm honest. Just more junk to send to landfill!

abbijay

Visit site
I still have them all, which isn't that many but that's not the point!
My childhood ones from RS comps are all in a box but the ones I got on Big Pony are all displayed in the utility room. If I only put 1s and 2s up there'd be 5 and would miss out some of my favourites: the 3rd we got at our 3rd show ever and first time at county; the 7th we got in our first ever class and the 4th we got when I fell off in the ring. I would love to be good enough to only be in it for the reds and blues but having a horse that i can compete means so much to me that I am proud of every one.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I have hundreds in boxes from many, many years of competing with various horses and with the dogs, even my giant snails won one or two in pet classes. Can't part with them as they are the story of horses and dogs, (and snails) past and present!

HDPE

Visit site
I keep them all. I have a degenerative condition that means one day I'll have to give up riding, so I want to have as many mementos as possible.

My 2 brothers on the other hand are much more blasé and when the 3 of us did Pony Club together they'd put them down and lose them within 5 minutes.

Mythical

Visit site
If I had a rosette board it'd be empty if I only kept the red and blue ones! I only ever won two blue ones, have never won a red one! But I go MILLIONS of clear rounds and specials. Some are in a bag somewhere, just to appease my Mum, most, however went straight in the bin because I always took them mean "it was brave of you to enter" or "sorry you're so rubbish! The two blue ones de-materialised as soon as I let them out of my sight back at the yard.

One of my blue ones was second to a little lad who screamed his little head off cause he "WANTED a BLUE ONE!!" (To be fair, the red one wasn't just red, it was red and pink!) I was like "I'll swap ya kid!" (what? I was eleven!) but his mum said something about Power Rangers and he decided red might be OK after all.
Yes, I missed out on a Red rosette because of the stupid Power Rangers. :mad:

Kat

Visit site
I keep mine, but if it ever got to the stage where I wasn't bothered about them (unlikely seeing as I'm a chronic hoarder) I would either not collect them or if there was a prize giving accept it and then pop it back to the secretary so that it can be reused. I think it is a bit ungrateful and wasteful to bin them.

I have one that dates back to 1984, and every single on since, would be gutted if I lost one before I got it home.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Keep them all, loads in the loft. Daughter keeps all hers too, summer she was 3 she cried when she got a first in bonny pony cos they gave pink & purple specials to all the kids & she preferred that to red!

tinap

Visit site
Daughter keeps every single one of her rosettes & everyone is written on the back with date, place, what class & which pony! We have thousands boxed up that span the last 11yrs!! The fancy ones & ones that mean a lot to her are the only ones that are put on show

noblesteed

Visit site
I keep all of mine, I write the date and details on the back as well. I am quite 'into' interior deco in my house and I have a long twined and plaited string which I thread them through, which is hung on a wall. I think they look quite quirky and 'shabby chic' in themselves, before I even think about sentimental value! I think they're a bit more unique than bunting which is so fashionable at the moment. I am also proud of them because each one means a lot of hard work to me as a one-horse non-professional semi-numpty!

Shantara

Visit site
I keep all of mine! If I only kept first and seconds, I'd have 2 rosettes. (Both 2nds, haha!)

I don't compete seriously though, or do that many shows, so each rosette I get is special :)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
If the centre I'm competing at swaps them for drinks then thats what I do no matter the placing. If they dont then they get thrown away.
Only one I've ever kept is actually a 10th place rosette. My first placing at BE Novice.

Visit site
I have more rosettes that you can shake a stick at! All of the reds and championships go up on pinboard in the living room and they get changed around every year with new ones. I then get the last years ones and my bedroom walls are covered in them. Some of your generic ones and ones that I have about 10 copies of are in a draw. Same with the ones I won from the internet photo shows even though some of them are lovely rosettes. The funky ones all get put up on strings around and about the place. The Best Turned Out rosettes I have from Perth Racecourse - about 20 of them!) I have hanging on my set of side reins attached to the wardrobe - can you tell I never use the side reins :D Because I get so many Perth Races ones every year I now only keep one from the Festival and one normal one as they have the year stamped on them and the rest I give to random people whilst I am there. Mostly kids or someone who is cheering on my horse. Sometimes it really does make their day that bit brighter!

I have no idea what I am going to do with them all in the long run though! I may send a load along to the RDA as I know they are always looking for rosettes to give to their members.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ebay :eek:

They always sell well, not sure who buys them though!

Wow, that's bizarre... who buys them :eek:

I have most of mine, other than those that were chewed by dogs or pet rats or similar... The generics/specials/non-special ones get chucked in the heap behind the book case. The firsts and the more special ones (F's first one, J's from the Suffolk etc) are on photo frames / hanging on the curtain rail or the bookcase :eek: