What do you do with your horses in a thunderstorm?

How much do you spend on an annual service?

• Total voters

sojeph

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 365 days a year-they have no choice but to stay out. As I see it, being hit by lightening is a freak occurance.

lennysmith

Visit site
See this is what I thought. But, as usual with my yard, everyone seems to think I'm horrid. Yet when i bring them in to cool them down when it's stupidly hot, they say I'm stupid!! I cant win I dont think!

Scoopy

Visit site
If im up my yard, then i would bring him in, but he really does not care about the thunder, he prefer's to stay out.

Plus my boy lives along side OH clay shooting ground
tongue.gif

SSM

Visit site
Mini Stonks was out last night, think she would have coped as she did not bat an eyelid when we had a lesson on Saturday with the storm cracking around her.

She is in during the day to avoid the heat and out at night - seems very happy with this.

jacks_mum

Visit site
yes, ours are the same.

I do worry about them out in thunder storms. When I first had Trooper I sent OH up the yard at 3.00am to bring him in out of a thunder storm as I was so scared for him. OH came home an hour and a half later, Very wet and swearing loudly because not a single horse had allowed itself to be caught and they all thought chasing OH round in the rain and thunder at 3 am was a great game. So tend to just leave them out now..

EllieBeast

Visit site
Beastlet lives out, so will stay out in a storm. i see it that if they panic, i would rather they had space to panic i.e. their field. also, if the stables were struck then there is very little chance for escape, and a slow end. if they were to be struck in the field, then all would be over in an instant = no suffering.
sorry to be morbid, but that is the way i see it
crazy.gif

Sarah xXx

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Beastlet lives out, so will stay out in a storm. i see it that if they panic, i would rather they had space to panic i.e. their field. also, if the stables were struck then there is very little chance for escape, and a slow end. if they were to be struck in the field, then all would be over in an instant = no suffering.
sorry to be morbid, but that is the way i see it
crazy.gif

Sarah xXx

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

riotgirl

Visit site
Mine stays out in storms. I have a tin roof on the stable which makes hesvy rain/hail sound so loud. Poor girl is petrified of the noise so prefers to take her chance outside! I do have a huge field shelter though which both horses can go in if they wish.

Snowberry

Visit site
leave them out!!

but then I am probably quite harsh cos I dont do the whole bringing in cos its hot/cold/windy/snowy etc...
Once they're out, they're out!!
(there is shelter in the field if they wanna use it)

Tempi

Visit site
well Bloss would normally stay in if there was a storm, and she used to be in during the night and out during the day (this is the first year ive ever put her out at night) So im afraid that last nite she was out in all the lightening. didnt do her any harm tho, she was fine this morning when i caught her in!

Taz975

Visit site
Summer ones - leave them where they are!
Winter ones - if its cold & pouring they come in - or they dont go out in the first place (they're in over winter).

Claireg9

Visit site
Well i would leave them out as i think if the stables got struck it could cause a fire and they would be trapped, however my mum panics and hates thunder storms so makes me bring them in! She says she wouldnt sleep over wise!
Seeing the houses that have been struck by lightening lately it makes me think that no where is safe.
The only reservation i have about my girls being out is our yard does not have any field shelter so they cant get out from it!
frown.gif

lennysmith

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Looks like mine are doing what I thought and staying out then! ( unless the storm decides to hit this weekend when they'll be in for worming lol)

lennysmith

Visit site
Wehad the biggest drops of rain here is Essex about 1 ish. I've never know drops like it. But then it stopped! Wish it would just chuck it down and clear the air!!

Puppy

Visit site
Mine generally live out (do have stables but hardly even use them now) and I certainly don't bring them in just because of a storm. Think Star quite enjoyed having a good soaking yesterday.

The only exception to this is last summer when we had a couple of days of what can only be described as freak weather, when it rained heavily, all day, totally non stop!! I did go and fetch in the oldies as they had the shivers. But only brought them into the barn for a feed and a toweling off, waited for them to dry, chucked on their shower sheets and threw them out again - the old boy went jumping the next day and didn't touch a pole all day, so you can't say it did him any harm!!

Faithkat

Visit site
Leave them out.
Three horses into two stables won't go! Nowhere's any safer than anywhere else - buildings can get struck but I also know someone who had a horse struck by lightning in the field . . . if your name's on it, it doesn't matter where you are . . . .

JessPickle

Visit site
They stay out, I am sure he prefers it that way being trapped and un able to run away from the scary noise just winds him up more

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Mine all come in over night anyway but if there is the chance of thunder & lightening during the day i would bring mine in as we have no shelter in our fields and they tend to get a bit fractious and lively in adverse weather conditions so to avoid injury i feel it is best if my lot come in. I feel a lot happier as well knowing that they are tucked up in their stables!!