What do you do with your rosettes?

Bernster

Visit site
I've just had an unsuccessful rummage trying to find post-it notes (my life is that dull) and kept coming across drawers and shelves with random rosettes in them.
Mainly from sponsored rides and my yard clinics, none that are especially special (apart from perhaps the sunshine tour champs, lovely big yellow ones).

What do you do with your rosettes? Have you come across nifty ways to display or store them? Feel free to post your proud pics of them on display!

I'm an adult by the way, although I do feel like a 7yo asking this question haha.

Shay

Visit site
I've got some rigid square wire netting with holes about 1.5" wide screwed onto a door. (I think it came off an old dog cage or poultry cage or similar) I hang the "valuable" ones on there and it makes a pretty display. The others go in a plastic box - one per year - which is put in the attic. Each one has the event and pony name on it. (I should add these are my daughter's not mine personally!)

Alternatively there was another post recently about how much the RDA appreciate old rosettes. They can replace the center discs and re-use them. I might go through some of dd's old ones. 15 years of affiliated competition - there are a few!

Schollym

Visit site
We have bought some rug making netting which is a fairly rigid plastic to hang on the wall, you can buy it in different sizes so you can hang them any where.

Last edited:

Queenbee

Visit site
I got some expanding trellis -
GRD07249.jpg

I stretched it out so that it is about 4 ft long and about 1 ft high... It is hung parallel with my staircase and I hang my rosettes on there. I have another one for the other side of the staircase.

Equi

Visit site
Anything 1st place and up (champ etc) is on my wall. I do have one second, and third on my wall but they are from my ridden horse and ive only ever done two shows with him so they are all special lol

I have a large plastic box with the rest (2nd -3rd) in it

Llee94

Visit site
I picked out the special ones to me and put them on a display board and covered with perspex that I plan to hang in my new house.
All the others were sent to the RDA (I had two separate branches ask me for some after I posted on Facebook). I got a lovely message back from one of the trainers who had given one of them to a little girl who had just mastered her rising trot after being really nervous about riding and it made my day to know that something I had forgotten about and kept under a bed in a box had made someone else so happy.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Most are hung in my tack room. I have one of those gas bottle cages in which my tack is stored and I've hung my fillies on the front. Some special ones are stored in a plastic box and my very special ones are displayed indoors, as there are very few of those. :D

BBP

Visit site
Bin. They are very pretty but Usually I don't take them unless they have writing specific to the event as I hate throwing things away but I have no space nor need for them, they just collect dust. I ask the organisers to reuse it for another competition. I didn't realise charities would take them, I'll do that with the few I have taken.

Equi

Visit site
Bin. They are very pretty but Usually I don't take them unless they have writing specific to the event as I hate throwing things away but I have no space nor need for them, they just collect dust. I ask the organisers to reuse it for another competition. I didn't realise charities would take them, I'll do that with the few I have taken.

That would make me cry! I could never throw one away hahahah they are so very special to me.

Visit site
That would make me cry! I could never throw one away hahahah they are so very special to me.

Same! I have rosettes dating back to 1994!

I have kept all the ones that mean something and all the firsts and champions etc. then I packed over 150 off to the local RDA group. I still have over 200 at home ...

The ones I have kept are hung up on bailer twine or cork boards around the house.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A plastic bag full, a box full, and some on a shelf in a pile. I know I don't look at them, but they mean a lot to me, and I do not want to part with them, right down to the first one, a "Special" for the walk, trot, canter, lead race when I was 10 years old!

jumbyjack

Visit site
Hundreds from years and years of horse and dog shows, oh and the ferrets! They are in boxes under the spare bed and will stay there until I pop my clogs then someone else can decide what to do with them. If they bin them I will be back to haunt with much wailing and rattling of chains!

BBP

Visit site
I think it comes from being a kid and showing in the states. Between my sister and I we had an awesome pony who we rode and won hundreds of rosettes and they ended up collecting loads of dust and being a bit manky. I do have a couple that I've kept for sentimental reasons but since that I've been a bit brutal with them! Photos however I keep millions of!

gothdolly

Visit site
Mine are all in boxes in the attic, dating from 1985 onwards. I like to occasionally get them out and remember happy times with ponies long gone. Rosettes from the horses we currently have are hung on the dresser in the kitchen and Domino's best ones are in a box frame on the wall, he died last year so its all still very raw.

Bernster

Visit site
Some of these posts made me smile! I am imagining boxes upon boxes of rosettes, and some gathering dust, others never opened, others treasured and on display! Have to say Ive not thrown many of mine away, yet I don't ever look at them either. They do take up space and can look a bit tatty, but I can't bear to bin them!

Might tie some string up and display some in the lorry. Don't think the OH would put up with them on show in the house, wouldn't suit the decor haha. And my storage area is really dusty so would need something covered for in there. Hmm, and now I remember I have some plastic boxes that I'm not using that would be perfect. Duh.

GemG

Visit site
Crammed into old boot box .. But all laid perfectly flat and uncrumpled. Dates/horse/venue/class etc all written in the reverse. Look through them rarely but when you do, it reminds you of good times and there are some that remind me of events I totally forgot about. I love keeping them. Strange, very child like, but true.

I would like a more 'modern way' of keeping mine (a way of displaying them in a minimal way) as I don't like them hung up in the conventional manner (weird I know)..

I was quite liking the putting in glass jar idea another poster said about. Although that would be crumpling... Mmmm ...

Pictures please!!

teapot

Visit site
I picked out the special ones to me and put them on a display board and covered with perspex that I plan to hang in my new house.
All the others were sent to the RDA (I had two separate branches ask me for some after I posted on Facebook). I got a lovely message back from one of the trainers who had given one of them to a little girl who had just mastered her rising trot after being really nervous about riding and it made my day to know that something I had forgotten about and kept under a bed in a box had made someone else so happy.

That was me :smile3: and she's still smiling about it even now!

OP, I did a facebook request on behalf of my RDA group for old rosettes (we simply cannot spare the expense they cost to get ordered) and I think the running total is now well over 500 in donated rosettes, which we'll put to good use.

For anyone who's considering binning them, please please contact your nearest RDA group. Some of the ones we've had can be immediately given out, like llee94's, others we're changing the centres thanks to a creative volunteer. They simply can make someone's day.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
When I was a kid I didn't have a rosette. When I eventually got one I covetted it! Without sounding ancient, these days it seems you get a rosette for anything. My daughter loves them but we have hundreds all the same for CRs. I'd rather the entry was cheaper and they kept the rosette. Anyway I'm going to give to to the RDA. Apparently they can recentre them. The special ones go on a string on the wall.

SuperH

Visit site
My most recent ones from my current two hang on a bit of hessian in the kitchen. My older ones are boxed up in the loft. I couldn't throw them away. I do sometimes go and look through them and remember the pony and the event. I've seen a few displayed in jars/vases and think they can look quite jazzy. Maybe one day I'll do that.

atropa

Visit site
I have a special rosette holder on my wall with all mine hung on it, although it's a bit of a rip off as is almost full and only holding 13 atm. Every single one of mine is special to me, I only had 4 to show for 8 years of riding until March this year when I started competing my first horse, and having lots of lovely frillies is something I've always dreamed of. I write the horse name, event, date etc on the back of each.

If they meant less to me I'd donate to the RDA as I personally know how great it feels to receive one.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I've got every rosette I've ever won, probably no where near what most people have won but they're all special to me. They've all got the class, horse and date on the back. It's sad but I can still remember pretty much all the classes and how they went.
This season's ones are on the wall in front of my bed. The special ones from years gone by hang on the wall behind it. I have them all along the pelmets and a box of them too

MagicMelon

Visit site

I wish I could do this but just can't bring myself to! I keep all mine, I have boxes upon boxes of them in my garage (moved from my mums house!). This years ones are currently piled up on a shelf in the hall. I used to hang them up on mesh in the tack room but I found they got damp and started getting wrecked. I now keep my 4yo sons rossettes too - his are hung around the top of his bedroom but I fear its already looking a bit full so not sure what to do soon. I write on the backs the date, which horse won it, what class etc. So sad I know but I actually thought everyone did this! I have thought about having a heap of them turned into things like ribbon cushions or a blanket.

Snowfilly

Visit site
They stay forever! Class, horse and anything else interesting to in the back - percentages and test for dressage, jump off times, little bits about the day, any special moments.

The ones belonging to my three special horses, now all over the Bridge, are on big cork boards in my room, just above their photos.

Big lad's current collection are on strings in the front room, with plenty of room for the next few years.

Others I owned or had a lot to do with are on a shared board and the ones I was riding for other people are in plastic boxes.

My mum displays all hers the same way. Some are 40 years old and even her championship ones look plain next to today's blingy ones with long tails.

I could never get rid of them - they're treasured memories and it saves me decorating my room!