What do you do with your Shetland’s?

ed&arch

Visit site
Interested to know if anybody ‘does’ anything with their companion Shetlands?

I bought mine recently to keep my Section D company, he’s only young therefore not suitable to be backed just yet, or do anything too strenuous.

I just wondered if anybody ever takes theirs into the arena to do some groundwork or out on a hack etc? I’m sure he’d love to do something, I’m just not sure what?

Would love to hear suggestions!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine comes out on daily morning walk and i have dog lead in other hand, most days before I ride B Fuzzy.
She also goes toddler trekking a couple of times a week tho never been backed properly. She is only 32" and a light build so I've taken her trust in me to allow me to do 'stuff' like the riding out by a 2 yr old.
She also long reins.
I did have 2 mini mares till last November, both did 'stuff' :)

Snowfilly

Visit site
My Shetland X enjoys - jumping courses on a lead rein, Liberty / loose schooling work, handy pony type stuff like walking over tarps and picking up flags, trick training (he used to shake hands, bow, sit, lie down and pick things up in his teeth but he’s a bit old and stiff now so we only do fetching and a low bow) and being led around in the paddock when a young horse was being schooled to get it used to sharing the space.

I suspect someone better than me at groundwork could have taught lateral stuff from the floor - I know someone with a Shetland who can do the whole sideways lot including half pass, and also has a lovely Spanish walk.

Mine was never nice out so he didn’t do hacks, otherwise he could have come for walks with
us

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Mine gets lunged badly mostly because she makes me laugh so much as hates it. Does do ride and lead. I did go through an enthusiastic stage of target training but then the eventers came back into proper work. I loose jump her a bit. She is also trained to long line and I should spend some more time on this and getting her going better. Basically she is my horse experiment in training. I practice on her. I have been bucket training recall with her as I have this aim of taking her to the beach and setting her loose with one of the eventers. I am sure she will not follow in the slightest so hence putting in the bucket recall as an emergency back up to catch her.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine comes for a walk with the dog. I have him on a lunge rein so he can have a good explore. I actually think he believes he is a dog! He will long rein but doesn’t get the point of that, so pretty much free loads the rest of the time.