What do you expect when viewing a horse to buy?

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
After 4 horses failing vettings, 1 horse passed and turned into a nightmare (most likely drugged!) I'm at a bit of a loss.

I was lucky enough with horse number 4 as I had an extensive trial including cubbing, riding her at my yard etc.

Now I tried one today that was local and she was sweet enough and safe/sane, but wouldn't do any sort of trial - I know most people don't nowadays, but being totally spoilt with the last horse I'm wary of only trying horses at their own homes as they normally do change when elsewhere.

Basically my question is, what do you expect when viewing a horse and when do you decide you'll buy the horse? How many viewings do you do? Do you just 'get the feeling?'

Ps. Sorry for all my dreary posts, I thought horse shopping was meant to be fun.

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
Most of mine I've decided on first viewing, just my D I went back to as he isn't the comfiest ride and I went in the dark so didn't hack him that first viewing.

I like to see them in the stable/field, have a chat in there, stood up, feel all over, trotted up several times if needed, lunged if I'm looking for action (my D is 'fun' so wasn't that bothered. Then see them walk/trot/canter then have a go, see them jump them, then have a go. Then a short hack/leave the yard. I usually have a good idea by then! Though I do also tend to buy the first I view so maybe not best to advise....

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
I have always bought youngsters or breed them myself tbh, not helpful I know.

For me, I want a kind eye and I want to feel that just seeing their head over the stable door would make me happy :)

The last one we bought was a just landed irish 4 year old - immediately had a good feeling, daughter sat on it for 10 mins, walk and trot up the road and that was that.

Not that I am recommending this as right for you - just being nosey, but what didn't you like about the one you took cubbing? She sounded perfect.

Hope you find the one soon.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I have always bought youngsters or breed them myself tbh, not helpful I know.

For me, I want a kind eye and I want to feel that just seeing their head over the stable door would make me happy :)

The last one we bought was a just landed irish 4 year old - immediately had a good feeling, daughter sat on it for 10 mins, walk and trot up the road and that was that.

Not that I am recommending this as right for you - just being nosey, but what didn't you like about the one you took cubbing? She sounded perfect.

Hope you find the one soon.

She failed the vetting :(

cundlegreen

Visit site
Get a trial and then get them vetted with own vet. No trial I don't bother buying.

If a reasonably expensive horse, no way I'd let anybody take on trial. If somebody's serious, and can ride to the standard of horse they want to buy (plenty of wannabees out there!) I'm only too happy to have them come back, even stay overnight so they can do everything with the horse, and box up for either a long hack or xc schooling. Totally agree about the vet.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
My current boy, I knew as soon as I sat on him. Mind made up there and then. A week later he was mine. Best decision I ever made :) This was after I'd watched his selling video on Horsequest about a million times LOL

The seller showed me him in the stable (weather was terrible on the day) I watched him being tacked up. She rode him while I watched then I rode him (sadly, as it was so cold that day hubby stayed in the car instead of videoing me like I'd wanted him to.) Once I'd done my stuff, popped him over a few jumps I led him back to his box and untacked him and rugged him up after a conformation appraisal (he could have had three legs for all I cared by then, I was smitten LOL). Had the weather not been so foul (Gale force winds, horizontal rain, freezing cold, it was Feb 2013 when every where was flooded) I would have taken him for a short hack up the lane and watched him trot up - she offered both.

The above was what happened with most horses I've viewed in the past so much what I would expect at a first viewing at least.

Holliehope

Visit site
I'm the same I won't let mine go on trail as have had bad experiences with it ! Turn him out in a herd after I said only on his own while on trail and he ended up being kicked and broke his splint bone !
Was delivered to me with his broken leg ! They didn't want him cause of this lol
Was not best pleased

I will happily let any one come as many times as they like take them to shows ect but they must stay at my yard I had one lady who came 12 times before she brought her
I think most people know after a second or third viewing defiantly think boxing them to a show environment is a good idea as you see what there like out and in a strange environment and I have no issues with that at all I recommend it to any one buying a horse off me
I've had a few have them on a months trail again though at mine but they do them completely like there there's

But must admit on the other flip of the coin if I'm taking clients to try horses I always ask for a trail of possible lol
But always get the horses insured and contract drawn up

millitiger

Visit site
Always decided on first viewing, usually after 5-10 minutes of being on board tbh!

I know lots of people who do multiple viewings though and also like to see the horse at a show etc.

I do think if you are adamant you want/need a trial period, you need to be upfront with sellers when you initially call.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I dont expect or want to have a trial .
When I bought my last horse in the spring he was a big purchase an advanced event horse.
I watched him ridden and rode him on the flat his owner jumped him and I jumped a small fence on him I went back and rode again and took a two trusted friends one a BE accredited trainer the other my former groom with me and owner rode and then I rode and jumped I hacked out once .
Then he was vetted by a friend and I bought him and kept him of the yard for about three weeks in that three weeks I took him to dressage training and cross country schooling before I brought him home .
Usually I watch the horse ridden and jumped sit on for ten perhaps twenty minutes and decide .
When I am riding the horse I am seeing if it will suit my training system , that is if I think it will be easy to get the horse on side and working with me .
With J I decided in thirty seconds in fact I had decided before I got on but I felt I had to go through the motions and ride him .

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I usually have a good idea before I've even seen the horse ridden/sat on it. Always bought after first viewing, once even took trailer with me! Always worked out well for me *touch wood*. Only time I've ever done things differently is when I was young, about 13, and needed a confidence giver. Bought a pony off a dealer, but stayed with them in grooms accommodation for a week before I brought him home, rode him in lots of different situations every day. That was good, although had already bought him so it was more just making sure I got off to a good start with him!

I'm about to sell my horse, and I would never let her go out on trial. Not because I worry about her behaviour away from home- she tends to go better when she's not at home! Just way too many things that can go wrong. Would let any suitable, serious buyers come and try as many times as they want, and would take them out and about (at their expense!), but always with me there.
Sorry to hear things aren't working out well for you :( hope you find something suitable soon!

twiggy2

Visit site
I want to see horse in field when I arrive, want to see it caught, see trot up, I like to brush off and tack up, see someone ride in all three paces on both reins (not fussed about jumping for myself but of for someone else see jump), then I ride or the person I am helping look will ride in school, see horse on short hack.
I have not had vetted but tend to buy cheap and work for a vet and have been very lucky to date.
my current mare was bought as a 2 yr old so, just met he and saw her move and bought her there and then.
edited to add I would never ever allow a horse of mine to go on trial if it was for sale

Last edited:

Luci07

Visit site
No trial. I was asked last time around when selling and refused. Horse was a competition horse and I wanted them to try/ test/ train as much as they wanted, but his care did not pass from me till he was sold.

I did first viewings when buying for myself with a friend or solo. I videoed this. Then I go back and reviewed the video with my trainer. One horse she vetoed as said looked lame (to my shame..normally ok at spotting this) vet checked for me as well and agreed. 2nd viewing is with my trainer and I both riding and asking more of the horse. A friend who bought very recently tried out a lovely mare and the owner then took said mare to a training venue where my friend and her trainer showjumped and XC'd the mare. I had one fail the vetting (gutting and expensive). I have also taken a day off work and driven 3 hours WITH my trainer to see a horse in a pro eventers yard only to be told that said horse had been sold. He had waited till the money had been transferred at lunchtime. Thanks a bunch. So in my limited recent exposure, the successful sales were for me, a well known dealer with a good reputation to protect and b, a local person who sells a couple of horses a year.

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
I don't expect a trial but do expect to be able to take the horse out and see what they're like out and about - will the sellers not allow it to be traveled to another arena?

MargotC

Visit site
Trials are not common around here so I would never expect one. I would however expect being allowed (and above all encouraged!) to try the horse out on more than one occasion and in every possible setting. My last purchase I tried twice but extensively both ridden and driven in traffic as well as all kinds of handling - on my own whilst the owner watched after having demonstrated what I asked on the first viewing.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I generally know within 10 mins if I like the horse. I go a lot by temperament though so as long as the horse is nicely willing and happy under saddle then I can work on anything else. I've never had more than 1 viewing on any horse I've ever bought! I'm not really used to people who have more than one viewing although I have had the odd person come back for a second time to one or two of mine that I was selling. I wouldn't expect a trial but I would always ask just in case (might as well!), I've had 1 horse on trial, all others I've either bought or not at the one viewing. I've always bought young horses though (unbacked or very green) so it's not like I expect much of the horse and need to see it out doing XC etc.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
After 4 horses failing vettings, 1 horse passed and turned into a nightmare (most likely drugged!) I'm at a bit of a loss.

I was lucky enough with horse number 4 as I had an extensive trial including cubbing, riding her at my yard etc.

Now I tried one today that was local and she was sweet enough and safe/sane, but wouldn't do any sort of trial - I know most people don't nowadays, but being totally spoilt with the last horse I'm wary of only trying horses at their own homes as they normally do change when elsewhere.

Basically my question is, what do you expect when viewing a horse and when do you decide you'll buy the horse? How many viewings do you do? Do you just 'get the feeling?'

Ps. Sorry for all my dreary posts, I thought horse shopping was meant to be fun.

I have had my new mare two months but only 2 stage vetting. I asked for bloods to be done for calmer or bute, both turned out neg.

I check horse all over and by the way it reacts with the owners then with me. Lots of the foibles I have found sine are just disciplinary ones which we are working on. It is down to the individual horse and whether it meets my criteria and how it behaves when I am there. The way she moved was far from perfect, very wobbly and cutting corners etc, all due to her being mature and that can be worked on.

Any horse showing teeth on ears back is a nono. It depends if it is malice or just being bolshy or trying it on.

I never hacked out but rode in school but since I had not ridden for 2 1/2 years to any degree I was rusty anyway.

She had a kind eye and saw her caught in and I brushed her off picked feet - rode - jumped - untacked and turnout again

She is spooky and jumps at shadows and patience is not there at mo but she is only 5 and has not been taught my way so work in progress. We will get there in the end.

Last edited:

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I feel a bit disheartend and just brush off all the horses. The one I tried today is very sweet, green but safe and she gave no reason to not view her again, I just feel a bit meh and think she is bound to fail on something knowing my luck! ive spent nearly 1k in vettings and still don't have a horse.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I wouldn't spend any money on something I felt 'meh' about !

I looked a loads when I was buying 18 months ago, all rubbish even though I had a (what I though) sensible £6-8k budget for a riding club horse. I then spent a few hundred quid on an ex racer on the basis that he couldn't be any more rubbish that all the ones I'd looked at and if he went wrong at least he wouldn't be a particularly expensive pet !!

Can't really offer any advice just sympathy - horse shopping is truly rubbish and I hated it all. before my TB the only horse that hadn't landed in my lap in more than 10 years I had on 2 weeks trial

Could you ask to have them on trail at the owners yard for a couple of weeks? I can see why people don't want them to leave but a trail at their yard can't be so risky?

Jango

Visit site
I would never offer a trial if selling! I was buying recently and first one I liked I rode her in the school after the seller and popped a fence, then took her up the lane and for a canter in a field, second viewing took her xc schooling then she was a marginal fail on flexion tests.

Second one I rode after the owner in the school then took her for a walk around the block, was completely smitten but she failed the vet.

Third one I liked, I schooled after the owner and popped a little fence, went back 2 days later with my physio and took him for a hack, booked vetting he passed and he's a super duper little lad! Much much better than the first two I was so gutted about failing the vettings earlier. It's worth the wait for the perfect one!!

Boulty

Visit site
In theory I would like to see the horse groomed, feet picked out, tacked up and ridden on the flat and over a small fence and then if happy have a go and ideally take the horse up the road and back. In an ideal world I'd also like to take the horse for a hack in company and see it being caught. A trial period would be fab but for very good reasons a lot of people don't offer them now. If you're dead set on wanting a trial then maybe keep your search local and see if a trial at current yard (with scope to box to a few places) may be possible?

In practice when I bought current horse the owner had nobody to ride as her rider had either cancelled on her or not turned up (she had a back problem hence the sale) so I ended up just getting on in the end, had a ride in the school and over a small jump (which I believe he actually refused a few times!) and then went for a meander down a bridleway and for some reason took leave of my senses and bought him on the strength of that.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I haven't bought a horse for years - last one I bought for me the owner turned up at the yard in fashion slacks and high heels, lol. I guessed she was scared of him. He was fine )just green) and I bought him after trying him with no vetting. He's still with me - 14 years later - though retired now.

I sell a lot of horses and wouldn't allow an off-farm trial but encourage buyers to come back a second time - and a third if they're still dithering. The only one I sold that played up as soon as he got to his new home I took back with full refund - I figured it was my error in judging the buyer's confidence and capabilities.

My only beef with buyers is one who seems keen and goes home to think on it - and I never hear from them again! What DOES a quick phone call or e-mail cost! It's basic good manners. I try NOT to show a horse to someone else if I think someone is keen and about to buy - so I can lose a genuine buyer that way. Alhough a lot of people come with a keen 'want' for a grey gelding - and buy a chestnut mare instead!

I have two lots of buyers coming today - for one lot, only two are the right size for them (they want no bigger than 16.1hh and the 3rd 'possible' on size is still at the potty stage!) The second lot I have 3 or 4 (at least) that could suit so we'll start with a 'browse' - often one will just appeal as THE horse so we start with that - and possibly do one more to assure them they're right!! It's going to be a busy day!

It's even harder when someone wants a weanling to 3 year old. By 3, I have a good idea what height they'll turn out to be - but it can still be guesswork. One of my original foundation mares had 10 foals for me - all by the same stallion. She was 15.2 - he was 17hh. Her smallest filly ended up 15.3 - the biggest gelding ended up 18hh! Same with a SH mare,. 16.1 - her fillies were pretty consistent - the biggest 16.2 - her biggest boy is now 18hh!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
HGA-12, do you mind me asking what having the blood tests checked cost?

Hi yes I found them
VFP bloods for testing were £264.60 inc vat - vat was £ 44.10 so bloods were £ 250.50

Hope that helps, they said we normally put them on shelf for the future but I decided to get them checked in case of bute or calmer. As it turned out she was clear and I feel better for sending them off

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
I think success in choosing a horse comes down to knowledge, experience and confidence. When I go to see a horse, I know before I go whether it is likely to suit me - I know what I want, whether I am buying something to bring on, or something for my OH - our search parameters are fairly specific. So for me to get in the car and have a look, the likelihood is fairly positive that I will at least make an offer, IF the horse is as described when I get there.

I'll see the horse in the stable, get them to bring it out, assess the conformation, lumps, bumps etc, trot it up somewhere hard and flat. See them ride, ride it myself - flat and jump - either in the school or field.

Generally speaking, I'm assessing the vendor as much as the horse - whether the reason for selling rings true, how they are around the horse (scared, confident etc) which tells me as much about the horse as anything.

I've bought off videos, unseen/untried from Ireland, and in person in both the UK and Ireland. It's more about gut instinct and horse savvy than anything else.

The only horse we have ever had on trial, we were almost forced into it by the vendors. Went to see the horse who was very very fresh, had lost a shoe and bucked/leapt her way around the school. They suggested we took her home and had her for an unspecified period of time to try her "properly". They were terrified of her (rightly so, having experienced her bucks) and were happy for her to go halfway across the country, with complete strangers. Took us an hour to load her when we collected her, and they reduced the price by 75% when we talked about taking her back to them ! We didn't learn any more about her during the trial period than we had learnt in 5 minutes in the arena at the owner's place.

Flame_

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I feel a bit disheartend and just brush off all the horses. The one I tried today is very sweet, green but safe and she gave no reason to not view her again, I just feel a bit meh and think she is bound to fail on something knowing my luck! ive spent nearly 1k in vettings and still don't have a horse.

Its fine to maintain a distanced feeling before the vetting. If you're buying a horse for performance there are so many different things that you might not see that the vet might fail them on, if you've already bought, bonded with and are having a lovely time with the horse in your head it is just being hard on yourself.

Let yourself imagine the horse is yours. Can you imagine smiling at seeing her head over the door, feeling proud to be on her at a local dressage whatever anyone else is doing, or can you see yourself thinking "what I still really want is a tb/ buckskin/ stallion/ etc…. Decide if she is probably what you really want, then it makes sense to disconnect and wait for the vet to do their bit before you let yourself feel excited about her.

sarahann1

Visit site
I've just bought my first 'unknown' horse, everything else I've known well before purchase. She came with a good reputation from folk I know so word of mouth helped lots.

I knew on 1st try, she was so sweet and willing, and while she's a bit anxious she was looking to me for help not making the decision for herself. I'm a grade A coward these days and I felt more than comfortable taking her for a canter in a stubble field.

I was at the vetting and the owner couldn't make it so myself and the vet just got on with it and she never put a foot wrong. It was a 5 stage vetting and the vet was totally honest with me, discussed the things she could in theory have failed her on (misshapen feet, slightly straight conformation) and why for my needs she'd likely be ok.

Based on my one and only experience I'd now try to attend any future vettings so you get the chance to chat to the vet at the time and to see how the horse behaves in different circumstances.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I'm still surprised you didn't buy the horse that had corns. Corns are almost always caused by poor shoeing or under run heels (barefoot horses rarely get them) and are easily resolved by changing the shoeing/trimming style. If the horse is sound enough to go cubbing then the corns can't be causing that much of an issue. If the horse was perfect in all other ways and the vet didn't pull up a major conformational issue that could have caused hoof imbalanced, I'd have bought the horse and had a remedial farrier start shoeing it.

I personally still think you should go for this horse - it sounded perfect!

Flame_

Visit site
I'm still surprised you didn't buy the horse that had corns. Corns are almost always caused by poor shoeing or under run heels (barefoot horses rarely get them) and are easily resolved by changing the shoeing/trimming style. If the horse is sound enough to go cubbing then the corns can't be causing that much of an issue. If the horse was perfect in all other ways and the vet didn't pull up a major conformational issue that could have caused hoof imbalanced, I'd have bought the horse and had a remedial farrier start shoeing it.

I personally still think you should go for this horse - it sounded perfect!

Yes, given the circumstances with this horse, why don't you work with the owners to try to solve the corn problem then re-vet after, say, two shoeing cycles or just see for yourself whether her feet are improving or if the problem is still very apparent? There is no such thing as a perfect horse and if that one was close to perfect, and you have had such an extensive trial with her, wouldn't she be worth the wait if her feet can be sorted?