What do you feed along side Speedibeet ?

sjdress

Visit site
As title, what do you feed along side speedibeet for a poor doer. He’s currently on speedibeet and Alfa a but think Alfa a is making him a bit silly so going to probably go back to Hifi. I’m not a fan of cereal feeds but not sure speedibeet and Hifi will be enough to maintain him?

The Trooper

Visit site
Fibre nuts and chaff for our 2 good doers. Only after being ridden. Good doers have 24/7 turnout and adlib hay during the winter months.

Admittedly the chaff is Alpha A + Oil, but that is only because that is what We/I have for the poor doer Bonnie.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Alfa a can make them silly it sends my horses nuts, you could feed a grass chaff instead of HiFi as that still has alfalfa in it, I feed graze on its just chopped dried grass mine are fine on that, in your situation I would feed micronised linseed with the sugar beet and chaff, is the beet your feeding unmolassed? Because that can effect some horses as well I can't give mine anything with molasses either.

Other conditioning feeds I would use is grass nuts, Copra or rice bran like Equijewel these can be good for horses that need condition but not energy.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Linseed
Grassnuts
Beetpulp
Fastfibre
Purple solutions mash
Grasschop
Veteran vitality
Spillers young stock balancer.

All the above I fed to my cereal intolerant cushings boy and he was fine. I gave between 3 and 5 small feeds a day towards the end but for years he was fine on 2.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Top spec lite balancer.

I fed that to my boy and it sent him off his head, made his feet soft and crumbly and triggered his intolerance. He had rock crunching barefoot feet and I had to shoe him for a cycle after feeding this for a month.

Wouldn’t recommend it for something that doesn’t want cereal and has alfalfa sending it mental.

Brownmare

Visit site
Both speedibeet and alfa A are high in calcium so it's likely that the silliness is due to magnesium deficiency as all the extra calcium will have sent the ratios out of whack. Stick with what you are feeding and add 30g magox daily

TPO

Visit site
Although lower Mj/Kg I've found Pink Mash a better conditioning feed than speedibeet. I've swapped four different horses (gradually) from speedibeet to pink mash and they've all done better on it. I'm assuming that increased gut health means they can absorb more nutrients from everything else.

I feed pink mask alongside grass nuts, micronised linseed, unmollassed chaff (dengie meadow grass), salt and powered vit/min supp.

Currently have 3 horses with very different requirements but all doing well on different quantities of that feeding regime.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I'd add magnesium to the diet because that's a high calcium ration. I have no issues with alfalfa since doing that. I feed Alfalfa pellets with equijewel in a 2:1 weight ratio with a mineral balancer (mostly magnesium, copper, zinc etc)

If you don't want to change anything else though try the equijewel- it's spendy, but you literally need like 500g/day to see results in terms of weight gain. It's the only thing that put weight on mine after a run with shipping fever (until the spring grass came thru lol)