What do you feed your Kelpies?

cowgirl16

Visit site
As per title really. We got our new dog on Sunday - a rehome - 6 month old Kelpie male. He'd been fed Spillers Field and Trial puppy. Nev's not and is never going to be a working dog - so should we continue with this? Or get him onto something with less "oomph"?

Clodagh

Visit site
PICS!!!!!! Love a kelpie. :)
Skinners isn't bad, I'm not sure he needs the puppy stuff, but their field and trial suits a lot of dogs.

Clodagh

Visit site
I would say...sorry other posters...the muesli is a bit rubbish (IMO) but the duck and rice and lamb and rice seem pretty good.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
As per title really. We got our new dog on Sunday - a rehome - 6 month old Kelpie male. He'd been fed Spillers Field and Trial puppy. Nev's not and is never going to be a working dog - so should we continue with this? Or get him onto something with less "oomph"?

Whatever you choose, introduce it slowly over a week.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
The "oomph" is part and parcel of the breed. I have a Kelpie/Smooth Collie, who is only just starting to slow down a little now aged seven and a half. We still do at least six miles per day on lead, with another hour or so running off lead on the local beach playing fetch with his toy and swimming (weather and tides permitting).

cowgirl16

Visit site
Thanks for the replies - yes I'm sure the oomph is in his genes! just wondered if the F & T was perhaps a little too much for him as it's formulated for working dogs - I'll stay with it for the time being. Found a really good training club near us - so puppy obedience classes start next week - then as soon as he's old enough, agility and maybe even flyball!

Moobli

Visit site
Would love to see pics. I very nearly got a kelpie last year (as a working dog) but decided against. Still like the breed though. As per above, kelpies are a working breed through and through so the “oomph” is part and parcel 😊. My GSDs are fed Simpsons Premium (grain free duck & potato) and our working collies are on the same but the chicken and potato version. All are high energy dogs but with an off switch. Personally I’d feed something a little higher quality than Skinners and the link at the bottom is a good guide as to what’s good quality and be prepared for lots of training and activity.

Indy

Visit site
I've just rehomed an 8 month old Kelpie x Border Collie. He's very active and he at the minute he's getting 3 good walks a day. He has an hour and then he's ready to go again. He's going to be starting adolescent dog training in November. I don't think he got much in the way of exercise and social time before I got him but he seems to be taking everything in his stride. He's getting fed the Wainwright wet trays which he seems to like a lot.

nellietinker

Visit site
We have a 6 month old 1/2 collie 1/4 kelpie 1/4 hunteraway - she is going to be a working sheepdog and a 5 year old Kelpie collie x. The pup (now weigh is on Arden Grange puppy food at the moment and the 5 year old on Natures Menu - she is by nature the fussiest dog to feed she will eat properly for four or five days then not eat for two or three days - it does not affect her energy levels.

bonny

Visit site
I’ve got a 2 year old kelpie/collie and I’ve fed him on Arden grange from the start. Puppy biscuits then adult and now big adult ! He’s recently become fussy and slow at eating his dinner but I’m reluctant to change it. He is from a working family and would happily be out walking all day.