What do you feed your oldies?

HashRouge

Visit site
My mare (26) is not thrilled about eating her feed at the moment (alfa a oil and speedibeet) and I'm looking for a good alternative. She needs it to have her danilon (she's a bit arthritic) in so needs to be palatable, but ideally no sugar. She is a little lighter than I'd like after the winter so something good for condition would be ideal. She doesn't like copra though, so looking for alternatives.

Thanks all 😊

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Every oldie we've ever given it to has enjoyed soaked grassnuts and Speedibeet, you might need to choose your grassnuts carefully, Emerald Green are good, ime. You might also need to add a chaff to stop the horse bolting the feed and choking, we use Graze-on but your Alfa-A oil would probably be just as good.

Visit site
Lots and lots of purabeet with Alfa a oil for our oldie, who like yours needs medication but struggles with non soaked feeds because he's missing a few teeth now. But free samples are absolutely your friend with fussier oldies :)

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
Bran is very palatable, and although it does contain a little starch you don't need much of it. Also mint - I have a rogue mint plant out of the garden tamed and kept in a pot near the feed room door

daydreamer

Visit site
Every oldie we've ever given it to has enjoyed soaked grassnuts and Speedibeet, you might need to choose your grassnuts carefully, Emerald Green are good, ime. You might also need to add a chaff to stop the horse bolting the feed and choking, we use Graze-on but your Alfa-A oil would probably be just as good.

Similar to this, I use Emerald green gassnuts, Graze-on chaff, equimins balancer, joint supplement, respiratory supplement, magnesium oxide and micronised linseed. For a 23 year old TB working 5 days a week. He loves the grassnuts. I make up the whole feed and then add half a jug of water 10-15 min before feeding.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mines a bit of a fuss pot and I recently, half accidentally tbh bought a bag of spillers speedy mash. It’s quite strongly smelling of apple and he loves it. I chuck a handful of hifi and cup of nuts in and have had a clean bucket for a week or more which is unheard of!