What do you feed your poor doers / your thoroughbreds?

MummyEms

Visit site
I know not all thoroughbreds are poor doers and we even have one 'chunky porky' one, and one lean fine one (loses weight so easily).... my daughters ponies are much easier to feed.

Just curious as to what exactly you feed all of yours? Including supplements and amounts ???

HeyMich

Visit site
Bailey's Ease & Excel (no 24 cubes, not no 21 mix). It's low starch and sugar so good for ulcers, but high in protein so helps with muscles and weight. I mix it with a handful of chaff to slow him down. I also add salt.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Emerald green grass nuts, agrobs mash, linseed and emerald green grass chaff. A mineral balancer, salt and electrolyte, and when he not on green growing grass, a small amount of natural vitamin e. He also gets oily herbs as per the equibiome stuff, and I'm going to do an equibiome test shortly I think as it seems to have made a huge difference!

I'm just about to try him on Pure Working as I don't have a lot of storage space, and this will actually work out cheaper as well. That will only need the salt/electrolyte and a small top up of balncer.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Fussy horse who isn't keen on sloppy feed so has to be chaff based. Emerald green Grasstastic, Agrobs Musli, Agrobs Grunhafer, linseed and copra. Minerals and yeasac. Also a joint supplement, just switched to Equicure Flex after vet suggested adding Boswellia.

And as much hay as he'll eat which is a lot.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Bailey's Ease & Excel (no 24 cubes, not no 21 mix). It's low starch and sugar so good for ulcers, but high in protein so helps with muscles and weight. I mix it with a handful of chaff to slow him down. I also add salt.
Mine picked up well on this too tho i used the mix. i think the gut-friendly additives helped him get the most out of his forage too. his appetite for hay increased noticeably after putting him on E&E.

MummyEms

Visit site
So mines on very good grass at the moment so is just having pink mash and her equimins advance complete balancer plus a small scoop of joint balancer because the ponies get that (they are worked quite hard for pony club etc and are both 20 bless them).
In winter or on less grass times she'll have pink mash, alfa a oil, equimins and micronised linseed. Any opinions on this? :)

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My tb is always on ad lib hay, all year. I feed him grass chaff, grass nuts, vit and min, linseed oil and salt. He went off a little recently so I upped the grass nuts and he is back to normal. Last winter I fed pink mash as well but this winter I'm going to up the grass nuts to see if that maintains his weight.

lynz88

Visit site
Mine is the world's skinniest pig....and every human female's dream - world's least fussy eater, eat 10x more than any warmblood, barely exercise, and lose weight. However he has done well on fibre cubes, alfa a oil, linseed (makes a world of difference!!), and a 50 50 mix of haylage and hay. In terms of supplements I have him on protexin gut, MSM, FP hoof and skin, natural vit e (makes a world of difference), and dried oily herbs (not sure if related but he seems to have a rounder bum and looks better over the hips since being on the herbs. Hard to explain what I mean here!). Unfortunately he has very very poor pasture grass so have done the equibiome test to see how I can help him out more. I have decided if needed, I would add oats but he seems to be maintaining. I have in the past, taken him off the vit e and usually a few months later he loses weight....put him back on and within 2-3 weeks looks great again.

Back home he did fantastically well on hi fat hi fibre, hay cubes, beet pulp and a ton of hay (we don't feed haylage back home unless you want to play with fire with botulism). He has done well on beet pulp here however the kind of beet pulp my yard (now) uses, seems to cause sarcoids so I avoid it now.

Last edited:

sunleychops

Visit site
top line cubes, dengie performance fibre and omega rice in the winter. Summer tend to play it by ear and normally just end up using the omega rice, fibre and a cheap stud balancer.

meleeka

Visit site
Mine picked up well on this too tho i used the mix. i think the gut-friendly additives helped him get the most out of his forage too. his appetite for hay increased noticeably after putting him on E&E.
This is good to know as I was looking at this yesterday. I can then feed all the same and just add this to the poor doers ration.

MummyEms

Visit site
Equerry Conditioning Mash. Nothing to add as it's a complete feed. Very palatable and cost effective - my whole yard is on varying amounts of it.

And good hay and grass.
That's interesting. Do you literally not add anything to any of your horses? I would love that.
Currently ours are on -
Equimins advance compete.
Pink mash
Joint supplement.
Electrolytes.

lynz88

Visit site
I have been feeding thyme, Rosemary, and oregano. All equal weights mixed together. Have been feeding 2x 60ml scoops per day. Wanted it to be a 50ml scoop but couldn't find one. I've bow just added a whole bunch more herbs after getting the equibiome report back so we will see. I will also be buying their biome foods very shortly to rebalance the gut.

spacefaer

Visit site
That's interesting. Do you literally not add anything to any of your horses? I would love that.
Currently ours are on -
Equimins advance compete.
Pink mash
Joint supplement.
Electrolytes.

Nope - the old boy has bettalife pharmaquin for his arthritic hocks but otherwise. no, nothing else gets supplements.

I also buy a winter's worth of feed in the autumn when the company always has a special offer of £2 off a bag. Makes a significant saving over 90-100 bags!

lynz88

Visit site
Do you just grow or buy each herb?

I have started growing them but they are too baby-ish yet for me to even pick and eat! I buy them dried from wholefoods. 500g of each lasts me about 2 months and I think I worked out the cost to be something like £5/month!

lynz88

Visit site
BTW it took about 2 months (maybe about 2.5 months) for me to suddenly really notice a difference. So it isn't a quick fix but it's been working for my skinny piggy

Green Bean

Visit site
My not-a-thoroughbred ISH does really well on Keyflow Sensi-Care and HiFi. I do add Naf Oilovite at the moment because I had a tub left after she went off her food a year ago so she gets extra vits and mins. I have also started feeding the Keyflow Omega Chaff as a small ration to see if there are any obvious benefits. [you may notice I am a Keyflow fan - for me it is the only feed that doesn't send her loopy but then my mare is 'special';)]