What do you feed your TB?

Parkranger

Visit site
Just wondering what Ty will need to be on seeing as he's getting fitter!

He's on rubbish grass during the day and then hay at night - he gets a small haynet which I tend to fill up once I get to the yard. He's fed twice a day on a bit of chaff (a double handful) and a handful of pony nuts. Only supplement I give him is garlic.

He's being ridden nearly every day now and has progressed onto canter work and jumping! We're not doing a vast amount of schooling yet but I guess that's the next job.

Just interested to know what you guys are feeding......

Scoopy

Visit site
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i have the worst TB in the world to keep weight on.

I feed

Cherry Chaff
Cond cubes
Weight gain mix, but now down graded to normal mix YAY !
Quite Pencils

Sup he has

TLC
Garlic
Lindseed Oil
and a calmer (just to take that edge of him hehe !

He is out on grass for the first time, and he has the best field as OH owns farm i have a bit of a say hehe ! and hay when he is in !

And lots of carotts, apples and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also ment to say he is in full work and very fit !

Scoopy

Visit site
LMAO but they are magic pencils
tongue.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Ally my last horse was TB, he was a very poor doer and a bit older than yours though. Anyhow this is what he was fed:

Alfa A
Allen and Page Old Faithful
Topspec conditioning flakes
Speedibeet
Veg oil
Ad lib hay.

He got 2 big feeds a day but mostly fibre (so large amount of alfa and speedibeet), if you gave him to much cereal he would do his nut! High fibre and oil diet worked well for him and the topspec flakes are excellent for maintaining condition.

Parkranger

Visit site
I believe he was getting sugarbeet and calm mix aswell when he was working hard at the school but I really don't think he's ever going to get to that point again (ie 5 hours a day at weekends)!

Frazer

Visit site
My tb, is very hard to keep weight on even in the summer. She is out on ok grass during the day. comes in and night and has 2/3 hay nets at night.
She is feed twice a day
morning :
1 sccop chaff
1 scoop top line mix
1/4 bucket of redigrass
then the supplements

evening :
1 1/2 scoops chaff
1 scoop top line mix
1 scoop barley o's
1 cup of farriers forumlae
1 bucket of redi grass
then the supplements

With all that shes only just starting to put on. hehehe

airedale

Visit site
D&H buildup cubes (cheaper than the mix) for slow release energy than keeps the weight on
Hi-fi
Readigrass

add in D&H country cubes on the days he's ridden

I'd also use AlfaA Oil for slow release energy and condition on a TB but I can't on mine as he's allergic to Soya (amongst other things!) but tolerates the D&H nuts as they've got less soya than the mix according to D&H

wiglet

Visit site
Mmmm... my TB is a really good doer...

In summer she has grass (out 24/7) and a 'feed' of TopSpec feed Balancer, apples, carrots and garlic.

In Winter she comes in for the night and has haylage, TopSpec, AlfaA, apples and carrots. If it's a really cold night she also has Speedibeet.

horsegirl

Visit site
well I now feed mine per day

2 scoops alfa A oil
1.5 scoops (2.5kg) conditioning cubes
carrots
apples
parsnips
half scoop speedi beet (dry volume)
biotin

plus poor grazing all day and 1/3 to 1/2 a bale of hay a night and he is still ribby.

This is the day he arrived.
Picture112.jpg

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Finni has:

2 Scoops of Baileys No. 4 Cubes split between Brekkie/Supper/Luchtime snack ball.
3/4 Scoop Unmolassed Chaff.

2 large sections hay at night
1 large section at lunch.

He goes out on crap grazing for 3 hours a day (colic probs).

In winter he also has Sugar beet (unmolassed)
and a feed balancer together with 3 or 4 sections of hay.

UKa

community.webshots.com
High Oil, High fibre diet for mine – A&P Calm and Condition plus Alfa A Oil plus additional veg oil and supplements; plus she needs ad lib access to hay/ grass to maintain condition.

Twiglet

Visit site
Out all night on average quality grass. In during the day with 3 sections good quality hay.
1 large scoop Hi Fi Lite.
1 large glug of soya oil.
Garlic
Cortaflex
Equivite

He used to be a very poor doer, especially in winter, but since taking him off of mix, and adding soya oil (miracle stuff, especially for Tb's!), he's literally never looked better.
His coat is so gleaming it looks like I actually bathe and groom him (!), and he's got a nice controllable energy, as opposed to the nervous fizz of before.

Eliza120280

Visit site
At the minute Alfie is out 24/7 on really good grass but is getting breakfast so i can get some biotin into him (typical TB with crap feet!) - in that he gets scoop of Hi Fi with garlic and oil too. Last winter, he wasnt in too much work so only got one scoop of Hi Fi, half scoop of Allen & Page Calm & Condition with oil and a vitamin supplement. He also gets ab lib good quality haylage. This winter he will hopefully be doing more work so he will probably be getting more!
I tried last winter Alfa A with Allen & Page Conditioning Mix - this blew his brains and turned him rather crazy!!!
shocked.gif
Will be avoiding that in future!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Believe it or not I feed whizzy PF straight oats, soaked for 12 hours and strained, plus alfalfa, sunflower seeds, and recently, cider vineger.
She used to be a royal pain in the bottom to get and keep weight on, and now she looks fantastic and is CALM!!
smile.gif

Can send you a factsheet on oats if you like!!

fizz-tally

Visit site
roo gets hi fi, pasture nuts in the summer, thiswinter he will get hi fi,calm & condition,speedi beet,supps,veg & ad lib hay while turned out during the day on good grass
grin.gif

Shrimp

Visit site
Mine has:

Hi-Fi
Slow release energy mix
Alfabeet
Top Spec supplement

he is out and night and in during the day with ample haylage.

During the winter he is on Sumo aswel to help keep the weight on though it is not easy

Bossanova

Visit site
Grinder gets:
In total 6 scoops conditioning nuts/day, ad-lib alfa-a and some topspec, along with ad-lib hay. He's a very fussy eater and pretty skinny but is building up.
Our normal tbs get normal rations- 1-2scoops nuts/day and some alfalfa

Ginn

Visit site
T has been on applechaff, salt, garlic and Benevit supplement all summer. Only have about 6 weeks of benevit left so have started to slowly introduced winter diet. Tonight started her on a little cider vinegar (as her coat is getting very bleached and the ground is so hard I was worrying about her joints). I also hope to add in black sunflower seeds over the next month instead of oil this winter and then the plan is to try the soaked oats diet come october time having done muchus reading on it. To be honest I'm forever tweaking her diet slightly depending on her condition, mood/stressfulness, grazing, weather etc - its true what they say: Feeding horses is an art!

berry

Visit site
The yard owners TB gets;
1 scoop alfa A,
35oz triple crown base feed,
1/2 scoop baileys No 1 cooked cerial meal,
2 cups of veg oil.

He gets this twice a day, plus 3 sections soaked hay during the day and is out on really good grazing during the night.
And he is still ribby!!!!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Pf - I read about oats loosing their 'fizz' when soaked.....although I may be wrong!

When I owned my first horse, I fed him DRY oats, and wondered why I had to scrape him off the ceiling of his stable.......seriously.........

seabiscuit

Visit site
Owen used to be a skinny little TB being fed huge amounts of conditioning nuts, now all he gets is this and looks fab;

(x2 a day)
1 scoop soaked oats
2 handfulls alfalfa
1/2 scoop readigrass

Supps-
cidear vinegar
Readi linseed
seaweed
brewers yeast

he is on poor grazing and eats 1/2 to 2/3 a bale of good quality hay a day.

FABPICOFOWEN2.jpg

owengoodpic25june.jpg

My other TB Forrest looks like a RSPCA case at mo as havent worked out a diet for him yet, he is intolerant to everything so only gets alfa-oil and ad lib hay at the moment!

SillyMare

Visit site
Lexi is a really good doer - she out 24 hours a day at the moment (in light work) and currently on the chubby end of the scale (not really fat, just chunky). She is eventing at the end of September so as we pick up her work we will introduce some nuts (just horse and pony cubes - nothing special).

Lexi is very sharp and only eventing at PN at the moment so no need to give her anything high protein. As she gets a bit older and goes up the eventing scale a bit (hopefully) I will introduce high energy feeds, but not until I need to.

Merry tends to be a bit leaner. Work-wise he is just walking out at the moment (getting over a curb). He is out at night and gets as much hay as he will eat during the day. He also gets half a (big) scoop of nuts morning and night. Looks well at the moment.

Both have rubbish feet so they get Feedmark Hardy Hoof supplement - not sure how much difference it makes.