What do you feed?

Luce85

Visit site
Out of interest; What do you feed, and do you change what you feed over summer/winter?
And what work is your horse in?

ellie11987

Visit site
1 scoop alfa a oil, 1.5 mugs topspec comprehensive, 1 scoop rolled oats and 1 mug linseed x2 plus a scoop of alfa a oil before work in winter. + ad lib haylage

Goes down to 1 feed in summer.

Poor dooer TB in light work rode for 45 mins 5/6 days a week mix of hacking and schooling.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
Two of mine have apple chaff; one with Topspec comprehensive and a joint supplement (old biddy hors!), one with top spec lite. The third horse has Readigrass (anything with added sugars or alfalfa sets off her itching). That's it.

They have this all year round. Summertime they have much reduced quantities - my older mare needs the top spec, joint supplement (and electrolytes once the weather is above about 13C!) so feeds are continued through the summer, but they literally get a handful as a token in the summer. Maximum any of them will have in one go is about 3/4 a round scoop.

Older mare works 5-6 days a week in the summer - 2/3 days in the winter. Pony does about the same, and youngster is busy growing and being a baby :)

justabob

Visit site
Alfa, bruised oats, speedy beat and micronised liseed. Alternate nets of hay and haylage. TB that looks just right.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Both get alfa chaff and pro balance. New tb has micronised linseed too. Same in summer, only difference is their balancer is half rations in winter. Im putting hay out, not haylege as the tb is ulcer prone. Not eating loads though as we have plenty of grass.

One is not yet backed; the tb is in light work and being built up as he was in poor condition when he arrived but this appears to have been stress related as he is putting on weight here with a simple diet.

Jenny Wrenny

Visit site
Spring and Summer - grass only
Autumn - grass and hay
Winter - grass, hay and two feeds a day of grass nuts, micronised linseed and a few carrots. I've just started her on the micronised linseed a couple of weeks ago but so far, so good.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
My mare is in heavy work, ridden 5 to 6 days a week, for 2 to 3 hours, schooling for 1 hour & 30 mins, jumping up to 1.05 -1.10m normally, for 30 to 45 mins and hacking for 2+ hours at walk, trot and canter (in a field obviously, and not all this in one day) and also does regular galloping a few times a week, as well as hunting & competing at weekends, and her winter feeds contain these things (she has two, one in the morning and the other in the evening):

Spillers Cool Mix, Speedi Beet, Just Chop, Feedmark's Meadow Blend Seaweed, Soya Oil, Magnesium and electrolytes. She also is turned out in the day, so gets grass, and gets two ad lib hay nets in the evenings when she comes in.

Same feed in the summer, with garlic added.

Last edited:

lelly

Visit site
Two year old so no work. Speedi beet, grass nuts, micronized linseed and molasses free chaff. I add mag ox, brewers yeast and salt and a basic multi vit. Also hay as the grass has gone.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Summer - grass 24/7, 1kg of whole oats, split into two feedings.
Winter - hay 24/7, 0.5kg of lucerne and 1kg of whole oats, split into two feedings.
Linseed oil, seaweed, brewers yeast, turmeric as supplements.
Carrots and/or beets, when available.

The horse in question is an 8yo, 16.1 HH, 600kg carriage type in medium workload - hacking, schooling, a little bit of jumping.

amandaco2

Visit site
Copra cool
soaked whole oats
pro balance
salt

I add fast fibre and grass nuts as I feed this on the lorry after competing so I want them used to it.

4 horses, 1 27yo semi retired up to a comp horse at inter II level. Same feed just different amounts, all fed good amount of hay, adlib in cold winter

Visit site
Summer - both of them have Baileys Lo-Cal Balancer, grass and a bit of hay when in and that's it except for carrots! My Appy has 1/2 measure of Cortaflex and Global Herbs Pollen-ex supplement too. They are kept on a dairy farm so there is never a shortage of grass and they both do well on this basic diet. My ISH competes lightly in Dressage/Show Jumping/Showing and hacks out and my Appy has an easy summer of hacking and the odd pleasure ride/Show.

Winter - My ISH - has a quieter time of mostly hacking, a bit of schooling and the odd show. He gets ad-lib haylage, 2 1/2 cups of Baileys Lo-Cal Balancer, Carrots, handful of cubes to make it more tasty, 1 x scoop of Mollichaff Calmer.

My Appy - hunts approx 2-3 time per month with hacking in between. He gets ad-lib haylage, 2 cups of Bailey's Lo-Cal Balancer, 1 x scoop of TopSpec Conditioning Cubes, 1 x scoop of Mollichaff Calmer, Carrots, 1/2 measure of Cortaflex and approx 150ml of Soya Oil.

They both always have access to a salt lick too. :)