What do you look for in a potential competition horse?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Ok, so you have been given a limitless ( ;) ) budget and you are setting out to by a new competition horse in your chosen discipline. What do YOU look for??

seabiscuit

Visit site
Compact and butty with a good length of neck , good strong limbs , short cannons, good bone and feet, built uphill. A high percentage of TB blood
Eyes are very important- must have a kind and genuine look combined with absolute intelligence and spark- has got to have special eyes that convey this!!

Good walk with a clear overtrack, straight trot with flicky toes again with a clear overtrack and good hock action, and most importantly a extremely balanced springy canter that covers the ground well, but not too much ( dont want it too big so that its impossible to collect) A canter that is so balanced that they can naturally do flying changes without asking when changing the rein- a good 4 year old should be able to do this from day one.

Jumping- unfazed when presented to the jump, but looks at the jump and measures it well , making a good bascule and not afraid to go short or long. Feels very scopey and springy.

KatB

Visit site
For serious money, I'd want the whole package! Feet and leg conformation is incredibly important, for me in any horse I buy, regardless of how much it costs!! You can have the most amazing mover, with serious talent, but if it doesnt say sound, it's no use ;)

Smart active paces, good hind leg action and a good natural canter.

Most important after foot/leg conformation is attitude. I want it to want to do the job, and want to work with you. You can have the most stunning horse with fantastic paces/technique, but if it isn't interested in the job, it's no use ;)

charlimouse

Visit site
The first thing I would look for would be temperament. The horse would have to want to do the job. There is no point spending all the money in the world for a horse with amazing comformation, hugely talented jumper, fab paces, if it refuses to go near a cross pole and has a fit if you take it to a competition!