What do you think about on the approach to a fence?

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I am the master of over analysis ;) just wondering what you think about when on your way into a fence? :D

I used to just kick and go, now I worry about it, being told too many times to "sit still" I am trying at the moment to count my canter stride so I don't fiddle and ride to a point, this really helps but if I am wrong I still panic :) so not fool proof

Last edited:

con_finn

Visit site
When i approach a fence i personally pick a point and ride to it.

It also depends on the horse and the height and type of fence.

I personally think about my striding and how to ride to that point it all really depends on how the horse is going.

only_me

Visit site
I don't think about anything when jumping!
I'm a bit weird, I appear to go into a "trance" of sorts and the only things I remember about what i was thinking when jumping, after the round are usually along the lines of "too close" or leg!

I react to how the horse is going obs, but I don't think about doing it, I appear to just do it :eek:

WellyBaggins

Visit site
That is what I am trying, counting the rhythm of the canter rather than trying to see a stride which gets me in a right old pickle if I can't see one ;) it seems to be one of my better ideas :)

WellyBaggins

Visit site
I don't think about anything when jumping!
I'm a bit weird, I appear to go into a "trance" of sorts and the only things I remember about what i was thinking when jumping, after the round are usually along the lines of "too close" or leg!

I react to how the horse is going obs, but I don't think about doing it, I appear to just do it :eek:

I used to be like this but have lost my self confidence, I wish I could be like you again :)

celia

Visit site
Usually - 'Is my lower leg secure?' (It used to be a bit useless!), 'Is beastie forwards/in good canter?' and then in the air, 'Where's the next fence?'

Occasionally though, when approaching something larger than usual or when I realise we're on a dodgy stride - 'eeeeeeeeek!' :p

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to jumping! Not something I've done much of, but I'm trying hard to improve so will be interested to see what more competent riders are thinking about! :)

TheMule

Visit site
I try my very best to think of nothing- I have received enough training to know how to ride to a fence well and I can see a good stride. Round the turns I analyse the canter, into the fence I'm much better if I just empty my mind and ride from instinct- particularly if it's big!

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Themule
This is what I need to do, get back to riding rather than thinking, I have been told so many times I am doing something wrong I now try way to hard and am afraid to ride incase I am wrong :(

millitiger

Visit site
*will you please stop pulling and bouncing and leaping Millie as it makes it impossible to see the fence let alone a stride!!!* ;)

as well as that I try to keep her straight without her bottom bouncing around and try and make sure I am soft with my hands whilst trying to retain control!

I can see a stride quite well so never worry too much about that.

On a nicer (!) horse like my old one, it was make sure we had power up but control on the corner, find the spot I want 8-10 strides out and then ride to that take off spot, letting the fence come to me.

only_me

Visit site
I used to be like this but have lost my self confidence, I wish I could be like you again :)

Confidence is easy to loose and hard to regain!

fwiw you need to make sure you are riding something that will always jump; previous horse (merlin) was a complete oddball, but always jumped, and I always felt I could jump the moon on him no problem.

I am the bane of my SJ friend's life - I rarely walk distances, usually only in double/trebles, but instead take into account the ground, and if slopes etc.
But at the lower levels the SJ course makers are not there to catch you out, so if you keep the rhythm and line, then every fence will be on a good stride :)
You do need to know though if horse's canter is naturally long or short :)

JessandCharlie

Visit site
"Stride's okay" Even if it isn't, or I tweek and fiddle and screw up. Quite often "BREATH" and generally, "Relax" and when I get there "Leg!" :D

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Onlyme, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, I have always had tricky horses and never the luxury of something that always jumps :eek: I found a horse that was 100% but he got navicular soon after I got him, he is now retired in my field :( I didn't get the chance to make the most of him

jumptoit

Visit site
Don't you dare fiddle, don't you dare fiddle, don't you dare fiddle . . . with one and it works :), I used to try to over prepare and we end up with her not being able to sort herself out and crashed through or took the top poles off.

On PP keep the leg on, keep the leg on,keep the leg on . . . .and that works too stops her dropping into trot a stride or two in front of the fences anyway :).

If it helps I think and analyse far too much as well and the problems with the first horse came from me looking for a stride and trying to focus on her too much.

loveshorses

Visit site
I dont think anything goes through my brian (like normal really) only rhytm and forward ...
Somethimes if its gone a bit wrong I think, ow gowd this could hurt when its going wrong, not that thats much help :p and all I do then is give them their head put a finger in my neck strap and sit up. :rolleyes:

cruzing

Visit site
If im going to get to the other side:rolleyes:sorry couldnt resist:)
I used to have the same problem with seeing a long one, had some lessons with a new trainer and he had me going over lots of canter poles. We were bad at it to start with but the better the canter the better the poles, then he puts a jump at the end so you have about 3 poles then the fence, if you are wrong at the first pole you know wether to lengthen or shorten. We now can have a 1.15m fence at the end of the poles and i dont even worry about it.
When jumping a course on the approach i just think if i need to adjust but if the canter is good we dont usually need to.
All i do at home is lots of canter poles, seems to work for the mare i ride and if you are wrong at the poles your not going to come to any real harm.
Hope all that makes sense:)

Yorkshire dumpling

Visit site
I am the master of over analysis ;) just wondering what you think about when on your way into a fence? :D

OH GOD I AM GOING TO DIE! IM GOING TO DIE IM GOING TO.... I MADE IT YAY! OH S**T HERE COMES ANOTHER , IM GOING TO DIE !!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
LOL that is how i used to feel when jumping my old boy lol
never fell off but his jump was very very bold and felt like you was getting catapulted over the humber bridge not a 0.9m fence lmao

caramel

Visit site
On handy at the mo jumping's a bit hairy... so for me it's...

"Leave his head alone... keep him straight.. leave head alone and over we go!"

Then it's
"Oh c**p how do we stop??"

Eventer96

twitter.com
Nothing... is this a bad thing? I think more about the corners, having beast in front of my leg and ensuring I get all of him around the corner. Approaching the fence I just focus on keeping still and having my leg on so we keep a consistant canter rhythm. :)