What do you think of him?

ridersince2002

Visit site
Everyone else is doing it so i thought i would join in :)
What do you think of his conformation ect? ;)
Hes 5 years old, his toes arent that long anymore, this was before he liked the farrier :S and he has more weight on him now :)
Good enough to be kept a stallion ??
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

soulfull

Visit site
he looks sweet enough. However as there are so many many ponies I would only keep something entire if it was as near to perfect as possible

He is too long in the neck for me. Also a little straight in his hinds

Sorry!

miss_bird

Visit site
For me to keep a horse entire i would want near perfection.
My stallion is slightly long in the back but has fantasic breeding, and the best temperment in the world.
From the pictures your horse is far too long in the neck for me, but it could just be the way the pictures are taken

Balibee

Visit site
I personally think he is a little cracker! Yes he does have a long neck but I thought that was the norm for a stallion to be long necks with an impressive crest :confused: I also think taking the pics from the front side view probably makes it look longer.

I think he is a gorgeous pony. Stunning colour! I think if you are looking to use him as a stud then, rather than get peoples subjective/personal views, I would get a vets/or expert in your breed (Judge etc) to have a look at him.

Good luck :)

ETA, I would also think you would need to get him out and about showing and proving himself if you did want to use him. Again that would give you a very good indication if to keep him entire depending on how successful he was.

Last edited:

ridersince2002

Visit site
Thank you Balibee, we think hes gorgeous! I just wanted to see what people thought of him, and we're getting someone who shows sec a's to come and see him in spring and we'll make our final decision then, and he has a lovely temprament too :)

He does look rather like a giraffe in those pictures, we were trying to stretch him out :)
Maybe this ones a bit better ??

picture.php

jsr

Visit site
If you are keeping him as a stallion just for breeding forget it. The price foals are currently selling for at the auctions is shameful so to add to those numbers is immoral. Unless he's papered to the gills, 100% conformation (which I couldn't say cos know nothing but he looks very long necked from those photo's) then get him cut and enjoy him as he is.

Balibee

Visit site
Thank you Balibee, we think hes gorgeous! I just wanted to see what people thought of him, and we're getting someone who shows sec a's to come and see him in spring and we'll make our final decision then, and he has a lovely temprament too :)

He does look rather like a giraffe in those pictures, we were trying to stretch him out :)
Maybe this ones a bit better ??

picture.php

I love him! Good for you getting someone to see him. You sound like you are genuinely wanting to get sound advice before making your decision. Don't be put off by some peoples assumptions. Enjoy him and good luck for the spring. :)

soulfull

Visit site
I love him! Good for you getting someone to see him. You sound like you are genuinely wanting to get sound advice before making your decision. Don't be put off by some peoples assumptions. Enjoy him and good luck for the spring. :)

OP ASKED for opinions. If people want us to lie then don't ask. I'm sorry but again this is PC gone mad!!
how are people going to learn what great conformation is if people on here are not honest??

Sorry hun even in the last pic his neck is too long and slightly too high set for my liking. That is in NO WAY mean't to criticise to him as a lovely young pony

ridersince2002

Visit site
Thank you, yes his neck is quite long.
As we all love him so much, we find it hard to critisize him so i thought i'd ask others oppinions on him, and if im honest we didnt realise quite how long his neck is :eek: So thank you :)

soulfull

Visit site
your welcome hun. Please don't let this upset you at all. There are very very few horses/ponies that should be kept for breeding.
My own WB gelding is wonderful BUT not quite perfect enough to be bred from.
He is well bred and moves fab, jumps great amazing temperament but that is not enough to breed

Bug2007

Visit site
I personally said it was too long for what i like, but he still young yet, he might grow into it.....my NF had the biggest head in the world looked more like it belonged on a shire, but he's growen into it....a bit!!!!!:D

I do however agree with jsr, if breeding for money then not really worth it, they just aren't making the money to cover the stud fee in most cases, but if you just want to breed for fun, then go for it.

Lovely looking colour though. Have fun with him. :)

Balibee

Visit site
OP ASKED for opinions. If people want us to lie then don't ask. I'm sorry but again this is PC gone mad!!
how are people going to learn what great conformation is if people on here are not honest??

Sorry hun even in the last pic his neck is too long and slightly too high set for my liking. That is in NO WAY mean't to criticise to him as a lovely young pony

:confused: :confused: Whoa there! :)

I am sorry but please re read my post, I think it was mis read big time, so apologies if it sounded otherwise :) I said she seemed genuinely interested in getting peoples advice. I didn't specify anyone on here were making assumptions, I meant in general what she may come across. And advising that if she was thinking of keeping him entire, rather than relying on peoples personal/very subjective views, it would be of best interest to have someone experienced in the breed see the pony in the flesh. That does not mean I was in any way shape or form saying people shouldn't have an opinion or voice them.

My post neither criticised anyones opinions nor advised her to ignore them. :)

OP

Keep us informed of your story. I would love to see what you decide for him. I had 2 boys who were not at all into ponies unfortunately but if one of them had been interested I love the Sections A's and would have loved to have had one :) not having any more babies :D but in about 20 years maybe I will have a grandson or grandaughter to spoil :D

:)

htobago

Visit site
I think that the angle in all of the photos is making his neck look longer than it is, and making his back end look a bit weak. I'd love to see just a straight side-on photo of him.

I applaud you for getting an expert opinion before deciding to breed from him. If you could get him out to some big breed shows, and see how he does against the best of his 'peers', under respected judges, this would give you an even better idea of his potential as a breeding stallion. Have you considered showing him?

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
If you are keeping him as a stallion just for breeding forget it. The price foals are currently selling for at the auctions is shameful so to add to those numbers is immoral. Unless he's papered to the gills, 100% conformation (which I couldn't say cos know nothing but he looks very long necked from those photo's) then get him cut and enjoy him as he is.

Unfortunately I totally agree with this. I read all of the sales reports and keep an eye on the general market for section a's and the prices they are going for is peanuts. Far too many people breed section a's- people can hardly sell brilliantly bred section a's let alone a standard one. I bought a section a that was bought at brecon sales- she's gorgeous (to me anyway) and has the most fantastic temperament but she was just one of many who sold for about £50. The list of studs breeding section a's is huge- even in my immediate area there are about 30+! He is a lovely chap but I think you should seriously consider whether it is the best option to keep him entire. It wasn't long ago that the welsh assembly put forward a cull of the mountain ponies to get them down to more manageable numbers, which was put down but who's to say it will be the same next time?
On a better note your chap looks very familiar to me.. maybe I've seen him in an advert or something? What is his name?

Mistletoe-Kiss

Visit site
Conformationally: Long neck (In all pictures), seems to toe out and is camped out. Overall, nice looking pony, would make an even nicer gelding!

ridersince2002

Visit site
Yes he is the one I was thinking of- saw him on a sale advert not long ago.

I think hes officially for sale at the moment, but there isnt really much intrest, so if hes not sold soon were keeping him until spring i think, and if we geld him we might sell him too. (Not my decision, if i had my way he would be kept in my bedroom :) )