what do you think of this horse (to buy)?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I wonder why he is in the hands of a dealer. A horse of that type and description (assuming it is truthful) would fly off the shelf even in this difficult climate.

Of course there may be personal or sad circumstances behind the sale. I would be doing plenty of research and question asking OP.

soulfull

Visit site
yeah want him as an allrounder

I wonder why he is in the hands of a dealer. A horse of that type and description (assuming it is truthful) would fly off the shelf even in this difficult climate.

Of course there may be personal or sad circumstances behind the sale. I would be doing plenty of research and question asking OP.

apparently the 82 yr old man is a friend of theirs and passed away suddenly so he is being sold on behalf of non horsey family. but i guess that may or may not be the truth

soulfull

Visit site
Easy to check its hunting history with the local hunt he was hunting with, would soon get an idea if the story added up

Good idea. also someone has mentioned his hinds don't look right, like he has hock trouble?? especially I think in last video, which would be the original video they took

be positive

Visit site
Isn't duns and palominos a part of Imperial horses, it was there in July and now with another dealer since August there must be a reason.

ihatework

Visit site
There is a LOT to like about this horse. He looks very careful and genuine to a fence. He is a very desirable type - the sort that if truely as described, sound, shown off correctly by the right seller and to the right market could probably double the price tag.

A couple of times he goes disunited behind. Combine that with the price and the fact he has ended up at a micky mouse dealer then I would go in with eyes wide open. Check out the horses history and get an independant vetting done.

soulfull

Visit site
Isn't duns and palominos a part of Imperial horses, it was there in July and now with another dealer since August there must be a reason.

there are at least 2 horses on both the duns and palaminos and right ride, I had just presumed the duns site was perhaps someone who worked for right ride??

There is a LOT to like about this horse. He looks very careful and genuine to a fence. He is a very desirable type - the sort that if truely as described, sound, shown off correctly by the right seller and to the right market could probably double the price tag.

A couple of times he goes disunited behind. Combine that with the price and the fact he has ended up at a micky mouse dealer then I would go in with eyes wide open. Check out the horses history and get an independant vetting done.

I will thanks.

be positive

Visit site
there are at least 2 horses on both the duns and palaminos and right ride, I had just presumed the duns site was perhaps someone who worked for right ride??

I looked further down the long list of videos and the duns are linked to Imperial, I think the whole lot probably chop and change the horses that stick around so it appears they are getting new stock in and selling plenty.

I noticed it looked awkward behind at times, especially when landing over the fences it was disunited and trying to drop back to trot, a cob of that type you would expect to sell on temperament, if it is as described, not jumping fences of that height it is unlikely to go to someone that brave so why show it jumping and not much else.

Booboos

Visit site
I saw the video first, then read the first few posts and went back to the video to make sure I was not imagining things!!! He is disunited most of the time. If you really like him I suggest a very thorough vetting by a good vet. To me he looks disunited even on the approach to the fence so I don't think it's necessarily the jump that is muddling him up.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The videos won't work for me but this type of horse sound and hunting well and calmly would never would be sold up here without ever getting near to a dealers yard.
Nice type but proceed with caution .

soulfull

Visit site
I will be very careful. I've had more than my share of bad luck!

He was with imperial horses, they took him to equifest I believe?
I'd def go and view, but do wonder why the dealer is lying to you?

Can I ask how you know/what makes you think that. Pm me if you like. After all the bad luck I've had over the last 12 yrs I need to get it right

Also need to be as sure as anyone can be he would stand up to arena work too, not just straight lines

Last edited:

Sparklepony

Visit site
Just if he has been with imperial horses, then she obviously sold to this dealer ( must of been cheap as I think he was advertised for £5000 with her? And new dealer is saying he is selling for a family friend or whatever? Makes no sense for current dealer to say he was from an 80 year old man

L&M

Visit site
Echo above - they have advertised him several times, and was up for sale about 6mnths ago as I phoned to enquire about him!

Allegedly sold and may have come back for a legitimate reason, but I would be suspicious.

mollichop

Visit site
Cracking horse but yes, that yard is just down the road from me - it is Imperial so your choice whether you take a look or not. He does look a super type though!

Puppy

Visit site
Dont buy from them!!!! 82yo ownerLOL
Just to clarify any horse that has been through imperial horses or her many guises will probably have been treated like this by the wonderful Kate Thurston.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdIicGvIEM

That's the second time I've seen her name this morning. I see she is selling a couple of cheap horses on the BSJA FB page.

Personally I would never buy a horse from her.

BeckyC

Visit site
i like the horse a lot, i suppose it depends on whether you think you can cope if he doesnt turn out quite as advertised. I bought a horse not from them but it was with them a month before i did buy it from its new owners and it has been difficult to say the least but seem to have come through that now (mostly) and under all his issues he is a cracking horse.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I will be very careful. I've had more than my share of bad luck!

Can I ask how you know/what makes you think that. Pm me if you like. After all the bad luck I've had over the last 12 yrs I need to get it right

Also need to be as sure as anyone can be he would stand up to arena work too, not just straight lines

Soulfull - are you actively horse hunting? In this area (I can see you are in Staffs) there are a couple of pretty decent dealers who get that sort of horse in. I don't know anything about the dealer you mentioned in your OP but can suggest a couple locally (Shrops/ Staffs) that I would speak to. I went to one last year when I was horse hunting and he had some really nice Irish types in. Also know someone who sells some quite nice cobs occasionally. As with all dealers, including the ones I'm thinking of, you always go into it with your eyes wide open but there are definitely some around here I would try.

soulfull

Visit site
Soulfull - are you actively horse hunting? In this area (I can see you are in Staffs) there are a couple of pretty decent dealers who get that sort of horse in. I don't know anything about the dealer you mentioned in your OP but can suggest a couple locally (Shrops/ Staffs) that I would speak to. I went to one last year when I was horse hunting and he had some really nice Irish types in. Also know someone who sells some quite nice cobs occasionally. As with all dealers, including the ones I'm thinking of, you always go into it with your eyes wide open but there are definitely some around here I would try.

I have one to sell first if I cant part ex so it all depends..pls pm which dealers you have in mind thanks