what do you think?

lizzieuk1

Visit site
just mentioned this on competition section and thought it would be interesting to get everyones thoughts on the idea.

recently looked in to protection for motorcyclists and found a great idea called an air vest (seems quite new and only made in far east at the moment i think), it basically fits like a waist coat over your other clothes and has a string that you clip to the motorbike, on becoming detached from the motorbike the vest inflates just like a car airbag, in a split second. it contains canisters that can be replaced as necessary and also has a neck protector on it. the stats looked impressive and i am thinking that it would also be ideal for riding in. What do you think??

MissDeMeena

Visit site
in theory a very good idea.. but again, abit like racing, with a motor bike you're going to be going alot faster than you would be eventing, therefore have more of a chance of being thrown clear of the bike (where an inflateable vest would help)..
With the worst type of rotational/crushing fall that you may get eventing, i doubt it would work, simply because you wouldn't be thrown clear enough!!

meandmyself

Visit site
There's already one been made for riding.

I don't think it's that good an idea actually- I don't like the thought of riding around with tins of compressed air strapped to me.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
There was a post on something similar a while ago, think the general opinion was you wouldn't want it go off if you just got jerked out of the saddle rather falling, Not sure the horse would appreciate the sound of compressed gas going off while you hanging round their necks! Mind you anything that improves safety is worth looking at.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
wonder if it could be produced in conjuntion with a body protector as well? also from what i read they don't go off unless the weight against them is over 30kg perhaps some modifications might make them plausable for riding. meandmyself where have you seen them already? as would be interested in seeing if they have them for bikes aswell.

allijudd

Visit site
im not really sure i would like something dangling attaching me to the saddle..with a motorbike you would stay pretty still but when you ride you are moving you weight, leaning forward etc...could be dangerous