What do you think ?

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I feel really upset despite this not having anything to do with me.

YO horse died on Friday from a heart attack. She is understandly very upset. Horse was around 30 and had a bout of colic (we think it was colic) the night before and obviously her heart could not take the strain. It was very sad.

Her horse lived out with another - ie there were two old mares (both around 30). The other remaining old lady is owned by an old livery (she keeps her young horse closer to home).

Because YO horse died, she had just had her mare PTS. I find this incredible. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her apart from her age and a bit of arthritis.

The mares had been friends for a long time but she seemed happy enough plus I offered to put my old boy out with her.

I keep having a few tears over what I consider to be a very harsh decision.

I know I'm a softy, but surely you don't just put animals to sleep because they are old...... ??????

filly190

Visit site
Without knowing the woman or her reaons its a difficult one to comment on. You said the two horses had been together years, maybe she and the YO had decided that they would go together?

It does seem sad if the horse was healthy and well cared for and I personally would not have taken that action. I think the owner must have had private issues and done what she thought was best, which of course does not suit us all.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Perhaps there were lots of other factors that you dont know about? Dont be too quick too judge. The owner has done what she considered best for her horse.

JM07

Visit site
they (the horses) may well have been inseparable, and the second horse owner probably wanted the horse spared any downhill decline in her health, due to pining for her companion.

i think, having seen a donkey die of a broken heart, they did the best thing in their particular circumstance.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I'm trying my best not to judge....it's not easy as I find it hard to condone her decision. I find it so sad. People at the yard were only saying last week how well she looked for her age. I think her owner just decided on it years ago that if anything happened to the other one, then that's what she would do. Just seems hard to me.

Not sure how she was PTS - we just saw the slaughter lorry leaving as we turned up at the yard.

_April_

Visit site

You'd think that wouldn't you!

Sadly having worked as a vet nurse one summer I learned differently
frown.gif

Is very sad circumstances but there may be an explanation.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I would never let a horse pine to death and I completely under that putting a horse to sleep in that situation would be kinder. But I just feel upset that she didn't even give her a chance. My old boy is such a gent - am sure they would have been OK together. Ah well, need to put it behind me now. What's done is done - just feeling sorry for myself (and the old mare) .... I guess.

the watcher

Visit site
I understand why this would happen and know how difficult it might be to find another companion so in the circumstances i might well do the same, sorry if you don't like it, but in my view it is better than allowing a horse to decline, or risk injury with a new companion

rema

Visit site
Probably not what you want to hear but i think it's quite sweet that the two old girls are still together in horsey heaven.And the old lady's old girl probably went with her dignity and pride.But still very sad for those who knew the old girls.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Unfortunately people do this. I had a hard time getiing over when my sister had her 21yo pts, there was nothing wrong with him other than abit of stiffness. She tried to convince everyone that it was because he was getting grumpy and this was because he was unhappy with pain but the only thing that made him unhappy was her new horse poking it nose over the top of the stable wall and making him squeal and kick the wall. Really she did it because she couldn't afford to keep 2 at the new posh yard she was moving to. My dad had offered to keep him at our place with mine but she wouldn't have it. It made me very upset but at the end of the day their is nothing you can do about it as the horse doesn't belong to you. The vet that did it wasn't very happy about it and a few months later when my sister was being 'a cow' saying I should have my old pony pts (because he had a stifle injury after a xc accident and then got laminitis at the same time), he turned round and said to me that my sister was the one that needed pts ing! Anyway my pony made a full recovery and lived another 3 years and competed again just to prove her wrong and when he became ill and the vet said the best thing I could do for him was to have him pts thats what I did but I would never do it for any other reason than a vet says thats the best thing for a horse.

annaellie

Visit site
Do you know the full circumstances why she opted for her horse to be pts, one of mine was suffering with colic all the time then having good days this went on for coming up to 2 years the vet advised to either op or pts having seen my tb mare have a similar op and would wish never to see what she went through afterwards, asked vet what he thought he said 75% chance the horse would not make it through the op i made my deciseion The morning the vet came out he was looking well and I questioned the vet, who said he does look fine but he is not, I had another livery make a comment on how well he did look and upset by my decision imo people should not judge unless the whole story is known am sorry if it sounds harsh but this lady has prob opted for the best for her horse, or what she feels is the best. and as long as the horse as been well cared and loved its nobody elses buisness

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Without knowing the exact circumstances its very hard to comment, but i would say, if anyone is considering this option, please please please consider re-homing through the veteran horse society, there are all sorts of people out there who rehome golden oldies, even if they do have their problems, its like us all going into a nursing or care home!!!!

They really do a fab job, I am bias with owning my very own 30 yo veteran, who is a fully active showing member of the society!!! Bless!

Happytohack

Visit site
Please don't be too upset - 30 is an excellent age and sadly it is a fact of life that many animals are pts just because they are old. It really is about quality of life and at the end of the day this horse was happy right up until the end of her life, the owner (and probably YO) did what they thought was right for a variety of reasons. Best to concentrate on your own horses and try to forget all about it.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
"Surely the vet would not have done it if there was not a valid reason???"

I know someone who's a small animal vet. If the owner of the animal wants it put to sleep, they have to do it, whatever the reason.

Broodle

Visit site
It is, of course, sad when any animal is PTS, but to be honest I think it is much nicer to let one go when at a ripe old age but still comfortable than waiting until they start failing. Also, this way, neither of the old girls had a chance to pine. Not knowing the full circumstances it's impossible to say for sure, but from what you've said it sounds like a fair and humane decision.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
Thanks all for your replies Very sad tonight when I went to yard. She wasn't ill (and never has been in the 3 years I have been at yard) and TBH the girl who owned her only came up once every few months. I feel sad as we have the most fabbest retirement home in the next road. It's called Champions Farm & the lady who runs it is simply an angel. At the end of the day - it was not my decision to make. I just know I wouldn't choose that immediately without checking out other avenues first. Thanks all