What do you think?

oldie48

Visit site
I hope you can get him if you like him, he sounds perfect for what you want. As you and others have said if you could find a suitable rider for Rose it would be ideal, and if they wanted to compete you could be the proud owner :)
No, not looking for someone to compete her, though I've a couple of pros who would jump at the chance as she's quite talented.

oldie48

Visit site
I think that you know the answer to that. That I cant show you how to ride your horse. And in particular because with horses, nothing is instant. Building the communication takes time. MY RI said that when I hacked her horse, I schooled it. I dont know what schooling means. Every time I hack, I check everything all the time because I need to feel safe.
I learned to drive a car years before I learned to ride. And Richard Maxwell describes horse riding on public land in much the same way as driving a car. You dont do it without brakes.

I started sharing a new horse last July. I did almost all of my first long solo hack on her almost entirely in walk. Are you sure you couldnt walk your horse along the most exciting stretches? I dont mean every time. But just for once?

One RI could not believe I had walked the whole length of the longest fastest canter track. I did it because (as I explained) two RS horses were ahead of us and sped away like greased lightening. I hung back because I wanted to be sure she wouldnt chase after them.
But O wow, I would love to visit you and hack. I grew up in a house with a painting of the Malvern hills on the landing but I have never seen them.
So pleased that you get on well with your new share horse and enjoy your hacking, it's lovely to get out into the countryside on horseback. We are so lucky aren't we? Just lovely to see us older ones doing what we love.

Nari

Visit site
That's a shame, but you're no worse off than before. Hopefully something else will turn up.

oldie48

Visit site
Shame that he wasn't right for you. Hopefully it has given you a good idea of what you want.
Yup, Rose with a "less power and attitude" button for quiet hacks! Oh and a shrink button so if I have to get off for any reason I can get back on again. something will turn up, it always does, usually when you aren't really looking.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I feel rather disappointed for you - but on the plus side the mental exercise of chewing the idea over has probably proved that yes you do most definitely need a second horse. I agree the right one will almost certainly turn up when you are least expecting it :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Yup, Rose with a "less power and attitude" button for quiet hacks! Oh and a shrink button so if I have to get off for any reason I can get back on again. something will turn up, it always does, usually when you aren't really looking.
Well, Amber's Echo found her new boy by word of mouth after she gave up looking, and YCBM's new PRE was found when she gave up looking for a horse to ride and asked the local riding school if she could borrow a companion.
Horses find us not the other way around, your pony is out there just not ready for you yet

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks for all your kind words, I'll keep looking. In the meantime, Rose is coming home next week and I am starting to plan as she needs to be kept busy. I went over to see her on Wednesday, she is looking great and I'm so looking forward to her coming home. She lost very little fitness, her stable has been given a once over and she has a lovely new bed. Take care everyone and have a lovely weekend!