What do you tow with / transport your horse with?

regalrendezvous

Visit site
I was just wondering what everyone transports there horse around in.

I tow with a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

and my horses travel in a 2 horse angle load with the horses heads to the right. I find they travel far better this way as Regal my TB can't travel in a straight load and he still is unbalanced with the angle to the left.

So what do you all use and are you happy with your set up?
I love the Prado it's easier to drive than the proper landcruiser. Although i know the real landcrusier would be better for towing etc.

I was just wondering how many of you have a truck / lorry and how many have a car - float (horsebox) set up.

conniegirl

Visit site
we currently tow an iforwilliams 505 forward facing, with a 2005 Mercedes ML270. Brilliant car for towing, never even feels the steep hills round here (we live in a mountian range). Brilliant for show field tht are up to te axles in mud.
Were currently looking at a horsebox to carry 3 ponies herringbone

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Older Discovery 2.5 4cyl TDI (with real metal bumpers) with Ifor 505.
Works a treat, and is very stable on bends etc.
The Discovery is an old lady now, and I've just got it back from the garage from its 300'000km service !!
smile.gif

Anyone else driving a Discovery with that amount of mileage?

RobinHood

Visit site
We have a 28ft long Bedford TL 7.5 tonne. It is the 2nd Bedford TL we've had, the first one got smashed up by a sri lankan man who didn't even have a license.

Sometimes we borrow a trailer from someone (there are about 15 ifors in the carpark!) if we're just taking one horse. We tow with a landrover discovery which I would like to point out that we only use for towing or for work in the fields. We have a nissan micra for day to day running about.

TrecPeter, I think 300,000km is about 180,000miles in which case your landy has done more than ours. I think it's on about 165,000 miles.

Natalie_H

Visit site
Tow an 870kg Bateson Deauville with 2 x TBs (16HH & 15.3HH) with a Kia Sorento 2.5 ltr XS Diesel (capacity 2800kg).

Heidi1

Visit site
7.5 tonne Bedford TK, three horse on the old M plate (early 1970's). Love it....... Must do had it for the last 20 odd years.......just passed it's plate with flying colours....

SusanFlynn

Visit site
I have a Pajero 2.8 TD LWB automatic which I feel safe towing with. The automatic is so useful especially when in traffic jams. Hill starts easy peasy as well. I have choice of 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive and lower gear ratio's which help and it can be held in a gear as well. I also can adjust the suspension.
I tow a New IWilliams 505 with my RID who travels a dream. I have towed him and another horse a 15.2 Tb type and didnt notice the difference at all.

I also have a camera fitted in case ( although it is turned away if I am on my own, as illigal to be able to see screen whilst driving) to be only looked at if I had to pull over for any reason) but it is glanced at by passengers and you can see him simply noshing away.

Alibear

Visit site
Land Rove Discovery Diesel and Rice Lightweight 16.2 trailer.

Runs like a dream no weaving etc .
Bonus is the trailer is light enough for me to shove about on it's own if I need to.
(Parking at the vets is rubbish I and have spent a LOT of time there this year, ah yes now I remeber where all my holiday days went )

Have to say if I was starting again from scratch I'd probably now go for a "normal" car and one of the transit lorries as they don't seem to suffer from being parked for periods of time like the traditional lorries do.

jemima

Visit site
1978 Leyland Terrier 738 ex-blood transfusion service! Up to five horses travelling herringbone but nothing over 16hh sadly.

hadleigh

Visit site
Ford Explorer Love my car!!! and a brand new this year equitrek trailer. We do have a lovely horsebox where the horses travel herringbone. Every horse I have owned has traveled beautifully in it until we bought a German Hanoverian. He is a dressage horse and could not find his balance in it. Finally gave up when he fell over travelling at 20 miles an hour. Have now discovered he likes to travel rear facing hence the equitrek. He still stresses when travelling but at leats he stands up!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
One 14.2 cob in a Bateson Derby - lightest double trailer you can get with a 2 litre TD Nissen Primera - have to be careful on fields but it tows well and we are within the legal and safe towing limit provided Chancer doesn't go over 500 kilos (400 at present) in which case I'll look for a new tow vehicle.

Nic

Visit site
We have a volvo FLC 7.5 ton new conversion which is fantastic, but sadly for sale*cough*
grin.gif

100_0744.jpg

We used to tow with a Disco would love another one of those but boy falls over in a trailer
smirk.gif

FINMCCOUL Tallulah is my lorries name too!!!

Taboo1968

Visit site
A F plate Ford 0813, stalled for 4, 28 foot long and has too many shiny panels for me to dent! (Oh I want my little old B reg Bedford TL back!)
Not driven this one myself! hence wanting the Bedford back!

2035417690057989513UtCNpH_ph.jpg

lornaA

Visit site
ford mondeo 2 litre tdi (deisel) Tows my ifor williams trailer and one horse perfectly and enough capacity left to legally tow my pony as well though i've never towed them both as my pony never goes anywhere as she's retired.

RachelB

Visit site
N reg Discovery, automatic diesel, and one of various friends' Ifors. The automatic diesel is useless at pulling, it hates hills (even when using the gears). Last thing we had was an auto petrol/gas conversion, it was fab! Could pull away at a stonking rate even with a trailer attached, but the diesel just doesn't want to know. First set we had was a diesel manual Disco and a lightweight Bahill 15.2hh trailer, both were fab.
Hopefully we're getting a decent Defender to replace the useless Disco with! And a Rice Beaufort trailer if I can find somewhere to store it!