what do you use for bathing your horses

kylee86

Visit site
im wanting to give my boy his first bath 2moz but havnt got time to go get any horsey shampoo. id sometimes used to use baby shampoo on my old mare and her coat would be great. im thinking good old washing up liquid 2moz with good rinse. hes a piebold and looking very yellow at min so hoping to get some stains off him

charmeroo

Visit site
Washing up liquid is ok but a little harsh I think. I use a human shampoo with conditioner. The last one was apple scented and made him smell really nice!

Moomin1

Visit site
Any nice smelling, half decent human shampoo as it's me that ends up getting my hair washed more than my horse if I attempt to get the hose near her head!

I don't really like using baby shampoo apart from for the face as I always found it left the coat a bit dull for some reason. :confused:

CobSunshine

Visit site
Babey shampoo 9p a bottle from tesco. gallop on special ocastios lol. Decathlon do a citronela fly one that smells lush massive bottle for £4

LeannePip

Visit site
tesco apple washing up liquid or for the sensitive souls tesco value sampoo and they all get tesco value conditioner on mane and tail! but the best thing i have found for white patches is head and shoulders shampoo and its always on offer somewhere!

Paris1

Visit site
Baby bath, and you don't have to be overly worried about rinsing it 100%, unless the horse is very sensitive.

ThePony

Visit site
Use human shampoo from the £ shop or value shampoo from tescos/morrisons. I don't use fairy unless on a grubby tail end.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
All these spoilt horses!? Ours have been washed with Hederol, the cheap 'industrial' washing up liquid, for last 30 years. For very yellow stains- our horses are coloured show horses- have the second wash as expensive purple shampoo- but really grit my teeth at the expense!

becca1305

Visit site
Whatever cheap 'sensitive' shampoo I can get my hands on :) I did treat my (almost) 3yo to a bath in an almond moisture shampoo the other day as it was cheapest available at the co-op and now she smells amazing :D

Enfys

Visit site
Wella something or other, pomegranate I think.

I got 12 litres of shampoo, and 12 of conditioner for $5 the lot - got to love having a Boarder who works for P&G :D

jenki13

Visit site
Cow shampoo! It was way cheaper than horse shampoo & we've had a 5L bottle for years (don't wash the horse much) :p

For an old loan pony that had sweet-itch used to use a tea tree horse shampoo which seemed to work to help keep the flies away as well as soothing.

Think I have some "bay" shampoo which I brought with the tea tree one on offer somewhere...

I wouldn't use fairy liquid as it makes me come out in a rash if I have my hands in it.. so avoid it for my sake & the thought that the horse might get a reaction to.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Dirty Beastie - it smells LUSH and is very effective but needs diluting don't use neat

I bath mine pre clip, usually clipped 3 - 4 times, he'll have one in the spring, then few through the summer

Does help that we have a horse wash with warm water and a solarium, although mine doesn't get the solarium, he stands there like yeh well where's the grub this is SO boring !

Last edited:

acw295

Visit site
Cheap supermarket human shampoo for everyday (tea tree or apple usually ) - NAF dark horses or gallop for "special" (about twice a year)

I've used washing up liquid for tail but wouldn't use on body as takes too much grease out IMO and makes Molly scurfy