What do you use to carry your youngster’s balancer?

Lina2023

Visit site
Hi,

We are soon to take delivery of our beautiful yearling. So far she has only been given ad-lib forage, which I intend to continue via floor feeding.

I would like to give her a balancer to cover any macronutrient deficiencies - would I be better giving this in a small handful of chaff like with our older horse, or a mash type feed? I don’t want anything too calorific that’s going to make her grow too fast.

Thanks 🙏🏼

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My philosophy is to keep extras to a minimum. Assuming the balancer is in pellet form, I'd just feed it straight if you can, you could always add a little water if you like. If it's different (are some balancers powders now?), then whatever the easiest thing is for you - so could be the same chaff as your older horse.

MarvelVillis

Visit site
I was feeding Thunderbrooks chaff with a balancer, but I changed to a powder balancer which was less palatable (Progressive Earth Pro Balance), so I added Thunderbrooks meadow nuts (soaked) with a bit of chaff and now he licks the bowl clean.

Lina2023

Visit site
I was feeding Thunderbrooks chaff with a balancer, but I changed to a powder balancer which was less palatable (Progressive Earth Pro Balance), so I added Thunderbrooks meadow nuts (soaked) with a bit of chaff and now he licks the bowl clean.
Thanks, I’ve got some of those in too as they’re my dieting mare’s occasional treat 🙊

lucy_108

Visit site
My baby one (who admittedly is now rising four - where does time go !) has lived on fresh air and a broad spectrum vit and min supplement up until now. He's been on TopSpec TopChop Lite over the winters and TopChop Zero over the summer with a handful of pony nuts for some crunch. I use Selenavite E from Equine Products UK as his supplement as I find it gives you the most bang for your buck and they've always thrived on it - I know our ground is Selenium deficient so it seemed like a good choice.

Now he's backed and using a bit more energy for his work, I've put him onto Baileys Stud Balancer - it's got high levels of protein, low sugar and low starch. It's purposefully very low in calories, but still gives them all the protein they need to muscular and skeletal development - you can start feeding it from 3 months I think.

As many have said above, try and keep it super simple - nothing replaces good grass and forage!

sport horse

Visit site
What breed is your yearling? With spring grass coming through fast does it need anything extra? I have bred sport horses for many years and they live on grass and hay/haylage.