What do your oldies do?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Just that really what does everyone do with their over 20Years?
Mine is mainly hacking but feeling very good coming out of winter so thinking of starting some lessons again mainly walk/trot and lateral work as he is slightly arthritic in his hocks
Just hacking now and thoroughly enjoying it. Miss competing but horse not sound enough for this so happy to be 'a happy hacker' lol

Annagain

Visit site
My two 23 year olds are doing pretty much what they've always done.

A is hacking and doing the odd bit of schooling to remind him of his manners now and again and the occasional fun ide. He stopped jumping at 12 due to very dodgy feet but is still very bouncy and lively and still has to wear a Waterford 3 ring gag for exciting stuff!

M (share horse) is hacking, schooling and doing riding club stuff as well as taking his owner's 12 year old son to pony club. He looks a bit odd being the only 17hh horse in the club but he and his rider love it! We keep the jumping to 80 max these days but he still does it once or twice a month and the same for dressage. We don't jump on grass unless the conditions are perfect so he doesn't event any more (but only did one or two a year anyway) as we can't decide 5 weeks in advance whether the ground will be ok but he still goes schooling and does fun rides.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
24 year old Belgian Warmblood. Hacking for 1.5-2hrs 2-3 times a week. Last ridden comp was a veteran championship 2 years ago. Last in-hand was last year. Still looks fab just a bit of a dipped back now.

Hacking this weekend with friend.
oJMfPMl.jpg

tda

Visit site
Fantastic thread, we have a rising 24 yr old ex brood mare, living life of reilly, and a rising 22 yr old who has been also living the life of reilly. 22yr old is a bit stiff, but I'd happily drag her out of the field for a hack of I had nothing else 😁

sjb10

Visit site
Eat & poo :)
about 25, arthritic & rider is fat (me) so didn't feel I had the option to continue hacking. Kept going round the block while he was happy for the occasional canter.

tristar

Visit site
22 year pony mare who has always been gorgeous, sadly has no rider, goes for walks in hand and always gets admirers, was surrounded by people last week and stood there soaking up the compliments although covered in mud from head to foot, also supervises gelding who can get out of hand and calms stallion by just being in a stable close to him.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My first pony is approx 29. I stopped riding her when she was 20 (I was too tall! But she was ridden by friends/liveries children a few times a week for a few years. She’s now being ridden once every week or two (still by children and mostly beginners so not intensive).
She is spoilt rotten and costing me a fortune in food! But she taught me to ride so I owe her :)

huskydamage

Visit site
26yr old happy hacker, no jumping, galloping or hunting since she injured her tendon a couple of years ago, used to do endurance but stopped that too after the injury. But still enjoys the odd short distance fun ride or hound ride. She is very hyper so easy to forget she is an old girl now but I don't want to break her! I'm lucky I can still ride her so I just let her do what she enjoys and take it easy.

windand rain

Visit site
My 23 year old mare does everything she has always done just not as competitively as before. Her main role now is teaching little kids to ride and letting older riders have a bit of fun on beach rides and a few pleasure rides

Hollychops

Visit site
My 2 oldies just mooch about the field chilling most days. They go for walks at the weekend, the elder quite happily, the younger not so as its wasting eating time, and they get pampered :) The elder i would love to find a close by loan home for her as she is still incredibly fit and agile for 39 but her age puts everyone off.

Peter7917

Visit site
Nothing at all. Literally comes in for his feet to be trimmed every seven weeks, other than that he doesn't leave the field.

Landcruiser

Visit site
My old guy is officially retired at about 27, but this is due to old injuries and a metabolic issue rather than his age. He's a great companion. My youngster(!) won the L1 TREC summer league at 18, missed a season with an injury at 19, and now at 20 he's in training for L2 TREC by hacking 3-4 times a week and going great guns. He looks like an 8 year old (a porky one).