What Do Yours Eat first - Hay or Haylage?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Just opened our first bale of haylage we had made this summer and it smells great - not that I'd like to eat it myself!
As a result, the neds are having some slices of hay in their racks with a net of haylage on the side so they can pick and mix and get used to it before we run out of hay; (my only complaint about haylage, without nets it makes such a mess and ends up down your shirt when you're trying to put it in the racks!
frown.gif
) and I always swore I wouldn't use nets!
Now, Dotty, Joey and Misty who haven't had much haylage ever before, make a beeline for the nets and scoff that before they start on the hay but Bea who was on haylage before she came here, eats all her hay first before she starts on the haylage; none of them pick and mix!
confused.gif

What do you think yours would do?

Woody&Rockie

Visit site
The ones who are on hay make a bee line for the haylage and my other pony whos on haylage trys to pinch the others hay!
Very strange! always want what they cant have!

ihatework

Visit site
Haylage first although if you put haylage in a net and decent hay on the floor he might be tempted by the hay first as would take less effort to cram it down his neck!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo - haylage like a shot apart from carrots with green tops, this is one of his fav feeds - I buy him a bale for Christmas.

Chancer likes it, but at our last show the other horse had hay and he swopped nets with them. Red was very pleased with this arrangement, she obviously prefers haylage.

wiglet

Visit site
My two have always gone for the haylage first... until this year - for some reason they both seem to prefer the hay made on the farm rather than the bought in haylage.

skye123

Visit site
haylage!! she goes for it straight away.

used to be stabled next to a horse though who had the really expensieve hayledge and he always used to nick my ponys hay and she did the same to his hayledge. never happy with what theyv`e got!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Haylage 1st, but only because she is not allowed it (goes through her like a dose of salts)!!! My old TB would go for haylage because she was on hay and the Cob with COPD would go for her hay because she was on haylage.