what does everone think

annaellie

Visit site
I am looking for a new horse, now I always had young tb type youngsters that lets say have a lot of attidude probs which I love seeing them come on over the years But a girl who known me for years said am bloody stupid to look for one that I normally go for now am older and have a child and its about time I got one that I could just sit on take out and compete and win now to me I would get more enjoyment getting no where and myyoung horse has made lots of improvement than one that you just sit on and wins. What every one elses opinion on this subject.
wink.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I would have loved to get a ready made easy horse to go straight out and compete on, however for me money was tight so I had to look for a project horse that had issues or a youngster. I am nt prepared to take anything lame or unwell on so that left me looking at re-breaks or those with an attitude problem. I was initially looking for a TB, but ended up with Spring. She had a big attitude problem but was s good to ride and I saw lots of potential in her. She has come on well and its nice to see the change in her, but its taken time (and is still ongoing). If you have a child and are lacking in time then I would go for somehting a bit easier. Maybe look at one thats been turned away so you are bringing it on rather than overcoming issues as that would still be rewarding but with some of the danger element removed!
smirk.gif

Good luck.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I have always had problem horses/youngsters who i have brought on, and i love improving them and selling them on as a complete different horse- I dont get the same thrill when getting on a "know-it-all" horse that is perfect. However, I am selling my youngster (he is going tomorrow!) and getting a good safe horse who I can win on and do "big things" on, as I only have 2 years left before i go to university and I want to enjoy those years on something that I don't need to work on!

so i can see both sides; perhaps when you start looking you should have an open mind, go to look at both young, green horses AND "know-it-all" horses, see which one takes your fancy
laugh.gif

Tia

Visit site
I was always like you right up till I left the UK a couple of years ago. Now I do still like to bring on youngsters.....but not of the TB type any more. QH's are soo much more sensible. So I still get to do what I like doing, but on quiet and totally sane horses.

Once you are a little older you will likely feel the same as I do now, but if you still enjoy the nutty ones, then why stop? Enjoy it while you have the passion for it.
smile.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Different people get different things out of their pleasure with horses. Although it is nice to ride a well trained horse now and again, I still find it immensley rewarding to work with those with 'problems' . Do what you enjoy doing and get the most out of.
best of luck in finding your new horse
regards
Dawn

helenandshadow

Visit site
I've always had youngsters because we can't afford 'ready made' horses, and I've always been put on the naughty/green ponies. I find more enjoyment bringing on youngsters because it's more rewarding when your hard work pays off. I suppose if i had the money i wouldn't mind a horse to go out and win on, but that's never going to happen!

filly190

Visit site
I would say go with what you like and gives you enjoyment. I love T.B's and find them intelligent and quite easy to fix. I have not the funds to buy a ready made horse and therefore have young horses, for my ultimate pleasure I have an ex eventer who came ready made at the end of her career. It is lovely to get on and ride her knowing the whole ride will have no issues and its lovely and easy.