What does everyone feed and why?

Ellietotz

Visit site
As above, including supplements etc.

Purely just interested!

I feed:

Fast Fibre - main reasons for the linseed, fibre and water intake, also low in sugar
Honeychop Lite and Healthy - low in sugar and starch, to aid chewing and bulk out feed if needed
Grass nuts - tiny handful for texture or if needing a little boost when grass is lacking
Premierflex HA Joint Supplement - ticked all the boxes for the ingredients I wanted in it, to help with joints etc long term
BioMos Supplement - to support overall gut health, feed friendly bacteria, removal of bad bacteria
YeaSorb Supplement - blend of yeasacc and mycosorb for hindgut support and mycotoxin removal

Your turn!

ihatework

Visit site
Big horse that has been doing some work and needs grub has been on castle zero mix, 2-3kg/day plus varying quantities of oats.
The mix chosen because it is a clean, high quality, high calories fibre and oil feed which importantly is GMO free - I’m on an organic yard and it has proved a nightmare to find a higher energy feed that conforms to soil association requirements, most things have GM soya in

ponyparty

Visit site
Agrobs Leichtgenuss chaff - very low sugar and starch
Agrobs Wisenflakes (flaked hay cobs) - low sugar and starch and good sloppy carrier for supplements
Agrobs Naturmineral balancer - low sugar and starch and much better value than Thunderbrooks balancer which he was on previously
Salt
Science Supplements Flexability Plus joint supplement - to support his arthritic hock(s)

Dried mint - to make him eat the bleddy joint supplement.
Dried rosehips - because they are out at this time of year but he hasn't got access to any. I know horses will seek them out if they are around. I don't plan on feeding all year round.
Dried echinachea - because it's meant to be good for the immune system and this bleddy sick note of a horse needs to stop having things wrong with him!
(I mix the dried herbs at home and bag up into daily rations so making feeds doesn't become a ridiculously time consuming activity)

If condition required, micronised linseed (definitely not required at present!).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
grass.
some hay.
Salt.
agrobs cobs (tiny handful) with Equimmins Complete and as an experiment for a year Lamintec 5HT. I didnt used to feed vits and mins but it was a hard winter and I felt they could be better in their coats last spring, very pleased with how they are just now.

Lintel

Visit site
I have a shetland and highland and i feed:

Topspec lite balancer throughout the year.
Just to ensure they are getting their essentials.

Speedibeet through winter.
Because whw older Shetland loses abit of condition and I feel a better "mum" giving them a little more in winter!

Sometimes garlic in summer.... because I like the smell of it!

holeymoley

Visit site
EMS 16 year old pony

Limited Grass
Ad lib soaked hay when in

Hard feed depending on time of year and waistline, either of as follows;

Fibre cubes
Fibre cubes + Bland chaff(HealthyHooves Mollasses free)
Fibre Cubes + Bland Chaff(Healthy Hooves Mollasses Free) + Speedi Beet

Supplement-wise normally ;

1 scoop Magnesium
1 scoop Top spec All in one supplement

Also a dose of devil's relief if worked hard or pollen supplement if its a problem in the Summer. Sometimes scoop of straight MSM powder in winter if looking stiff.

Lexi_

Visit site
Grass .... because they are horses
Hay/ Haylage ..... because its winter and there is no grass ... and they are horses

Hardfeed ... depends on time of year, what requirements they have and whats on offer at the time!

:D

But yes, pretty much the same with a handful of pony nuts in a treat ball to keep them occupied at tea time. They're really good doers and haven't been in hard work recently, so aren't in need of hard feed.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
grass and haylage if in overnight, although have been feeding haylage in the field this year as we had no grass and she is out 24/7 in summer.
small feed of alfa a(fibre) formula4feet (vits,mins ,& hoof supplement) newmarket joint supplement , salt ...carrots when i have got them
horse is half tb, 20 year old with flat feet and is a good dooer...

FizzyBum

Visit site
My TB (ulcer horse) is on ad-lib hay, two bales of Horsehage per week and: -

1 Stubbs Scoop of Alfa-A molasses free (Great for ulcer horses as the calcium in alfalfa is good for neutralising acid),
1 Stubbs Scoop Veteran Light (the only feed to keep the weight on him but not heat him up - switched from Veteran Vitality to minimise starch content which is a must for preventing re-occurrence of ulcers),
1 Stubbs Scoop Super Fibre Cubes in two treat balls (Low sugar, low starch, high fibre and better quality than pony nuts),
This is across two feeds but in winter, I add an extra feed for lunch as he is a poor-doer and struggles to hold his weight.

Supplements
Glucosamine, HA and MSM (DJD and general maintenance),
Equine AmericaSo Kalm (Nutcase is low in magnesium),
Seaweed (typical TB hooves although I'm yet to see the benefit of this supplement),
Bute Free Gold (DJD and can't bute due to predisposition to ulcers),
Acid Ease (Ulcers).

The 4yo Cob is muzzled when turned out, has two sections of soaked hay every evening and a handful of light chaff morning and evening and that's only to put his Equivite (vitamins and minerals) in as he's a growing lad but will get fat if he even looks at a bale of haylage. Although I feel mean feeding him so little, this diet has achieved and maintained a healthy weight throughout spring and summer.

ponyparty

Visit site
Mine has very limited grass turnout due to EMS, so he's on soaked hay and some Topchop Zero so he's not stood without anything to eat overnight. This means I do worry about the nutrients he's getting, as soaking does degrade the nutrients in the hay and his postage stamp paddock and grazing muzzle means that he can't necessarily get all the herbaceous plants he might want to.

My feed started off simple - low cal chaff, flaked hay cobs to soak as a carrier for balancer, balancer and salt.

With the addition of the joint supplement, which he doesn't like and ends up kicking his feed bowl around his stable, I added mint to mask the taste. I may have got slightly carried away with my herbs though :eek: I like giving him a bit of variety and what he would choose to eat naturally were he not always exclusively on a postage stamp of grass or hard standing with soaked hay :)

Asha

Visit site
frank the baby gets baileys stud balancer, Asha & Pip get a sprinkling of alfa a (purely to say thank you for coming in), Finn & Aria get alfa a, and baileys No 19 performance balancer and electrolytes when necessary. Aria also gets a scoop of protexin.
they are out at night, and in for a few hours during the day, and get a small haylage net. So far all in good shape, and no ones misbehaving.

SEL

Visit site
Well the mare is interesting, because she has PSSM.

So not much grass and her hay is soaked. To get her 1,567,999 different supplements into her she has a small amount of speedibeet mixed with about a tablespoon of copra and topchop zero. Apparently a tablespoon of copra is the minimum required not to send the bucket with vitamin E powders in it across her stable in a huff. Given I need a new mortgage every 6 months to buy vitamin E its cheaper to give her copra.

The Ardennes is currently in coat change mode and so needs to be pumped full of food. Grass, hay, a big dollop of speedibeet, ERS pellets and a shovel full of copra. He only gets copra because I have it in for the fussy one, but he thinks its yummy. Right now he also thinks he's a 5 year old without arthritic joints and is being a PITA charging around. Forage Plus balancer when I remember to give it to him.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I keep trying to keeping it simple then end up adding something else!

They both get grass on a well eaten down grass track arrangement and just enough hay in the field to keep them from galloping around like lunatics any time a PERSON WHO MIGHT HAVE FOOD appears. If the stay put or amble slowly to the gate when they see me they don't get hay that day, if they trot or canter up I give them a net or two. Scientific no? :lol:

They get a bucket feed each too, containing...

For Granny. Bute because shes arthritic and it keeps her comfortable. Handful 16 plus mix so she eats the Bute. Speedibeet to make the Bute stick to the mix. Salt because salt. I was adding herbal anti-itch things but it's run out and I'm not carrying on with it as not sure it helped much, think she just stopped being itchy on her own.

For The Beast. Speedibeet, low sugar low starch and it carries her supplements well. Top chop zero to make her chew it a bit. Vitamin E oil because she has tied up before and adding the oil seems to have helped with the tying up and some other possibly related stuff. Salt because salt. And NAF Profeet because I'm an idiot. :lol: Actually think it has helped though. But that's probably because I've spent money on it so I want it to help.

Surbie

Visit site
Grass & 2-3 sections of hay.

Plus a cup of speedibeet to carry the following: half a cup of micronised linseed for coat and feet, 2 scoops of brewer's yeast to try and reduce his itchiness, 2 bags each of redbush and chamomile tea for the same reason (I think it makes no difference, but he loves it), Forageplus balancer - only half rations because if I increase the amounts to what it says on the bag he won't eat it. And salt.

I make up 2-3 week's worth of the supplements in bags so it's easy to do his feed every morning.

tda

Visit site
Only 2 getting fed here atm, two elderly ladies each one Stubbs scoop dry weight of unmollassed beet half scoop of fibrebeet, cup of micronised linseed, all in one feed just now as still living out away from home, but once winter comes they will be back here and I'll split it into two feeds.
Others are all at grass or on yard on haylage

Ellietotz

Visit site
My TB (ulcer horse) is on ad-lib hay, two bales of Horsehage per week and: -

1 Stubbs Scoop of Alfa-A molasses free (Great for ulcer horses as the calcium in alfalfa is good for neutralising acid),
1 Stubbs Scoop Veteran Light (the only feed to keep the weight on him but not heat him up - switched from Veteran Vitality to minimise starch content which is a must for preventing re-occurrence of ulcers),
1 Stubbs Scoop Super Fibre Cubes in two treat balls (Low sugar, low starch, high fibre and better quality than pony nuts),
This is across two feeds but in winter, I add an extra feed for lunch as he is a poor-doer and struggles to hold his weight.

Supplements
Glucosamine, HA and MSM (DJD and general maintenance),
Equine AmericaSo Kalm (Nutcase is low in magnesium),
Seaweed (typical TB hooves although I'm yet to see the benefit of this supplement),
Bute Free Gold (DJD and can't bute due to predisposition to ulcers),
Acid Ease (Ulcers).

The 4yo Cob is muzzled when turned out, has two sections of soaked hay every evening and a handful of light chaff morning and evening and that's only to put his Equivite (vitamins and minerals) in as he's a growing lad but will get fat if he even looks at a bale of haylage. Although I feel mean feeding him so little, this diet has achieved and maintained a healthy weight throughout spring and summer.

Which Super Fibre Cubes? The only ones I can find are Saracen ones but they are high in starch and contain molasses

rara007

Visit site
Rocky- 1x Stubbs scoop of cool mix twice per day and 1x scoop of electrolytes twice per day. Because he was on ‘museli’ before and I don’t want rocket fuel + only had him 10 days so not started changing.
Cheeri- 1x small scoop of blue chip pro, 1x large of oats, 1x large of honey chop and 1x electrolytes once per day. Because it keeps him ticking over, possibly slightly more forwards and is easy to do.
Pip- grass, because he’s barely in work. Over winter he’ll go onto some food as last year he dropped condition.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Currently shes getting a handful of Copra and D&H Ulcer sensitive balancer and a big dose of salt. These are hand me downs from my previous pony and wouldnt have been what I would have chosen for her, but saying that she looks very well. She has a lovely shiny coat, is losing fat and putting on muscle, as well as a noticeable improvement in her feet, so I'll probably keep things as they are for now.

MochaDun

Visit site
Grass at night, soaked hay when in during the day (on winter regime will be other way round minus soaking). Very good doer with Cushings so only gets handful of D&H Classic Fibre cubes soaked with handful of Top Spec Top Chop Lite to get supplement into him.

Michen

Visit site
Very little. Equimins mineral balancer, bit of linseed, salt and agrobs musili. Eventing every other weekend, now autumn hunting or hound exercise once/twice a week, SJ lesson once a week or so and looks fab.

blitznbobs

Visit site
They all get hifi lite with a lo cal balancer in differing amounts due to size... except super dressage cob who gets havens slobbermash because it gives him enough fizz to get his work done without making him silly and he loves it too and it makes his coat shine

vam

Visit site
I try and keep it simple, big mare, good doer, naturally laid back but with a mean spook when feels the need.
At the moment she is on about a mug or 2 dry weight of grass nuts well soaked, a large handful of grass chaff and 2 mugs of Re-Leve with her supplements in the evening, supplements wise she is fed Protexin Gut balancer, mug of micronized linseed and salt.
Breakfast is just a scoop of chaff with half mug of Re-Leve.
I have fed her grass chaff and soaked grass nuts for about a year and so far it seems to work well although I’m always looking to tweak it if I need to. Try to keep sugar and starch as low as poss (I know grass nuts aren’t that low but I work on it being natural sugar so not as bad)
She is fed it in varying amounts depending on work load and grazing. She is out all night on limited grazing due to the weather this year but fed haylage, then more haylage when in during the day.
I introduced the Re-Leve as she struggled a bit with energy after a busy few months with a few away shows, not fed much to be fair as she has a quiet August and I don’t think I’ll feed it in winter due to her previously mentioned spook.

windand rain

Visit site
grass and a variation of grass so soaked grassnuts, grass chaff and salt is the base the two oldies are on turmeric so have micronised linseed and pepper added too. Dont usually need to feed hay as we have standing foggage but might/will need to this year as its been so dry the grass isnt very long. We havent had appreciable rain since April. A few showers and one drizzly day is about it
Forgot the why. Because every thing is chemical free and they are all natives or cobs They are in great shape due to the track system so why change what is working

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
The 2 fatties have a handful of Baileys Lo Cal just so that the old girl can eat in peace!

She currently has soaked grass nuts and Honeychop Lite & Healthy with some veggie oil. Usually add Veteran Vitality in the Winter to keep her weight up.

conniegirl

Visit site
Fibre beet - because pony would guzzle without it and there is very little grass at the moment
Performance balancer - to help prevent ulcers and to ensure he gets enough vitamins and munerals etc to allow him to do his job and feel fab.
Equilibrium growth - because it gives him lots of energy without sending him silly and puts a lovely shine on his coat.
Linseed oil - to help with the coat
A joint suppliment - he’s a veteran and i want to avoid stiffness for as long as possible.
Pony is ridden 6 times a week after worfk. Mostly at least an hours hacking mininmum but twice a week he is schooled for 30 mins before we go on our hack and 3 times a week he is lunged/longreined in the morning before work. He is fit as a fiddle.

TelH

Visit site
4 have hifi molasses free, high fibre cubes and ad lib hay. They are all pretty good doers.

1 has 1/2+1/2 high fibre cubes + conditioning cubes, hifi molasses free and ad lib hay. She is coming up to 22 now and the conditioning cubes help to keep her a good weight.

1 has conditioning cubes, 1/2+1/2 hifi molasses free and mollichaff showshine, ad lib haylage. She is a picky eater, has a dust allergy and coughs on hay even if it soaked, and doesn't hold her weight as well as the others.

They all get a carrot and a general vitamin/mineral supplement.

In the depths of winter when the grass is really poor they get haylage in the field; they all go out together so hay is not an option because the one with the dust allergy would end up coughing her own lungs up.