What does it mean to be confident?

Elopi

Visit site
what does it mean to be confident and have experience in handling horses on the ground?
I have an interview for an apprenticeship at a stud yard in the coming weeks, and was made aware that the most important quality they are looking for is experience and confidence handling horses on the ground. There is an opportunity to learn more about the stud side of things and gain various experience in the equine industry.
At the moment I part-loan and take lessons regularly.
I have loaned multiple horses over the years, some with quirks such as being a little pushy, refusing to pick feet up etc, and I’ve always managed. I’m extremely nervous and doubting myself as I don’t think I’m good enough for this apprenticeship, and I’m sure they will have other applicants which have way more experience than me. This is a very rare opportunity in my area and it’s something that I would love to do and gain more experience in. Advice and opinions would be so appreciated thank you.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think others probably have a better idea about it but for me, confidence on the ground is about being calm and quietly self assured around horses, noticing behaviours almost before they happen and swiftly & decisively acting without making a fuss to shut down any potential problems. As well as being able to give a horse confidence in you, in its environment and in any new things it needs to learn, and give the horse appropriate boundaries in a non-confrontational but clear way.

it's the sort of thing that comes with (good) experience, but you can learn it, and as it's an apprenticeship I'd expect them to be prepared to take you as a slightly blank canvas to train on a bit.

popcorn1

Visit site
It's a stud so you may be expected to help with things like in-hand coverings. They can be quite hairy if you have an inexperienced mare or a young, inexperienced stallion.

You need to be confident dealing with a hormonal, half tonne animal

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Basically confidence around horses is saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Horses can understand language and tone.

Experience you build over time; that helps you learn what to say with your body and tone. Some people have a good natural way or feel for it.

Winters100

Visit site
It is a difficult one, as confidence is relative, and also too much can be dangerous.

Personally I would try to turn a question such as 'are you confident handling horses on the ground?' into an opportunity to show your good points. For example you could answer 'yes, I have always been confident and able to handle quirks in the past. Of course I do not have stud experience, so I am prepared for a learning curve, but I am a hard worker and I learn quickly. I am not afraid to ask if I am unsure, and would always put the safety of the horse and my colleagues first'

They will not expect you to know it all or have lots of experience, an apprentice position should be designed for people to learn.

Above all be prepared to tell them why you want the job and what you bring to it, show enthusiasm, ask questions and smile. I am always amazed when I interview people how many don't smile, or really seem to even want the job.

Carrottom

Visit site
I think you will be better to be as honest as possible about your experience, so if you don't have any with young stock it is better to say you want to get that experience and that is one of the reasons you want the job.

Lurfy

Visit site
Just go to the interview and be honest about your experience and be yourself. Personality and trainability may also be important qualities as it is an apprenticeship you are seeking. Presumably the successful applicant will be trained on the job. Good luck.

SO1

Visit site
Well done for getting an interview, they would not have bothered interviewing you if they did not believe that you might be able to do the job.

I am not confident handling horses on the ground except for my own pony who is 13.3 and fairly quiet. I am quite scared of big horses and that they might suddenly do something like take off and I would not be able to control them. I don't like leading more than one horse at a time. I think someone who is confident handling horses on the ground is someone who can handle many different situations that may occur without being frightened. There is a big difference between leading a small elderly pony and a large hot blooded stallion that may get no turnout or horses that you are unfamiliar with. What sort of horses do they breed at this stud?

I think you can probably say that you have never been in situation where you have been scared by a horse that you have been handling and then give some example of situations where a horse may have been a bit sharp to handle. If you have not handled stallions or youngstock before then be open about it and say that whilst you have not worked with these sort of horses before you are confident that could cope with them especially as this an apprenticeship role where you be given training. You could also say to make sure you can be prepared you would where possible try and learn about the temperaments of the horses you were handling, what their normal routine is and any quirks they may have prior to handling them.