What does part loan mean to you?

Olderrider73

Visit site
Hi, as the title say what does part loan actually mean to people? In my opinion you get to pay a certain amount each month and get full use of horse to do as you please with the horse on your agreed days, am I right? Or do you ride the horse how the owner wants it to be ridden to a certain training program, and the owner chips in every time saying do this, do that, ride it this way etc. with the rider feeling like a groom!!!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Hi, as the title say what does part loan actually mean to people? In my opinion you get to pay a certain amount each month and get full use of horse to do as you please with the horse on your agreed days, am I right? Or do you ride the horse how the owner wants it to be ridden to a certain training program, and the owner chips in every time saying do this, do that, ride it this way etc. with the rider feeling like a groom!!!

it’s not reasonable to do whatever you want with horse on your days. You need to see work together to agree a balanced and fair work schedule for the horse.

e.g. if you both ride 3/7 days, you can’t reasonably both jump on all 3 days.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it’s not reasonable to do whatever you want with horse on your days. You need to see work together to agree a balanced and fair work schedule for the horse.

This, plus to a degree I'd expect the owner to give input over what they do or don't want the horse to do, since they retain ownership.

honetpot

Visit site
I think you can not have a part loan, only a part share of the time with a horse. Loan implies that you have responsibility for care and costs, and the loaner takes over the responsibilities of the owner for the period of the loan. There has to be someone who has overall responsibility and decision making on a day to day basis.
I have had someone share a horse, I kept responsibility and on those days they were riding, they got to do what they wished within reason. I did not charge them anything, their only responsibility was either to turn back out or put them in a previously prepared stable for the night.

ponynutz

Visit site
I think what you're describing is full loan.

In my experience full loan is either:
A) you 'rent' a horse. You own that horse and take care of fees and such. Horse stays at yard of owner's choice.
B) you 'rent' a horse. You own that horse and take care of fees and such. Horse stays at yard of your choice.

Part loan is either:
A) you 'rent' the horse for an amount of time monthly (or yearly). For that time horse is yours. Owner has the horse for the rest of that month/year. Horse normally stays at yard of owner's choice, and you work out an agreement between yourselves on the payment of upkeep and other bills and such.
B) you 'rent' the horse for agreed times weekly. You come on the days of the week the owner can't (say for example they work away from home three days during the week, so you would get the horse the other two days and then you work out arrangements for the weekend between yourselves).

A share is where you both own the horse equally, and work out between yourselves what days you can do, how you're going to split the costs of the horse, and generally work around each other, but you both have equal importance. A loan is more often or not where the final say is down to the owner, however the 'renter' might have more influence in a full loan situation, particularly if that horse is kept at a yard of the 'renters' choice.

ponynutz

Visit site

This also. Again, owner will often have final say, whereas in a share for example it's up to both of you.

maya2008

Visit site
I think it means whatever the owner wants it to mean! Also relates to the loaner’s level of experience. I have had sharers/part loaners who were novices. I made sure I was there when they rode (I have multiple horses) and I taught them the necessary horse care and riding skills. As they became more skilled, I let them come up on their own to ride. Then they moved on to their own horses in the end, once they were fully confident.

I also had a sharer who knew more than me - she did whatever she wanted and I was grateful for whatever she did!

We have just taken on a part loan for my son, to ride something a bit bigger while he still fits on the Shetland. My son is older than the owner’s grandchildren and they specifically wanted an older child to school the pony and take it out to pony club and shows. We have been told we can basically do whatever we want. He will have lessons, compete and improve the pony ready to back our 12.2hh next summer.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A share is where you have a few days a week and the owner has a large share in the horse.

A loan is where the horse becomes your responsibility, usually moves yards, and the owner is updated as they wish by email/message etc.

I have never come across a part loan.

But, when push comes to shove, it means whatever you and the owner wants it to. If the agreement isn't to your liking, then it would be prudent to find a different person to share with. Or, re-negotiate with the current one.

I have shared a couple of times. It worked because we sorted out the 'rules' in writing, in advance. We never needed to refer to them, we had no arguments, but I think that my be because everyone knew what the arrangement was to start with.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
part loan to me is, you 'rent' the horse for a few days a week, and pay weekly. the horse does not move yards, it stays on the yard it is currently on. generally part loan is cheaper than full, ie a flat rate of £15-25 a week for 2-4 days(variation of week days and one weekend day), as opposed to paying for extras inc farrier etc -- although some people do expect this from their partloaners which I think is a bit cheeky!

you do the chores if the owner has specified this must be done, along with grooming and riding the horse to the owners wishes, ie if they only want you to hack it out- you just hack, rather than blasting it around jumping.

when i've had part loaners in the past I give them the first week free and supervise them then leave them to it. although when I did this I had another pony aswell, so we would ride out together generally

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The owner has the upper hand when it comes to what happens with the horse, it is their horse and they have the ultimate responsibility. However the 'part-loaner'/sharer has the ultimate say in whether they do any of what the owner wants. They can walk away and never look back if they don't like the arrangement.

If the horse is co-owned, that is what I would say rather than 'shared'.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I think it depends on what you both want and both agree. I had 2 horses in the past and 2 sharers. One paid snd did no chores and had 2 official days a week. He did schooling/ lessons / hacking. Other sharer did chores 2 days a week and hacked 2-3 days a week (sometimes both horses).

Second sharer only wanted to hack. I took both horses to agility / Le Trec / fun rides with either. Plus racetrack, beach etc.

I rarely limited riding and bloke rode 0-4 times a week depending on his schedule.

But I did expect give and take and swapping around when horses were training or competing or doing fun rides and needed a day off. Same if they need a day off after body work etc.

I tried to mix it so horses had a varied workload, and riders got a fair deal according to what they wanted to be doing, and I did the competing I wanted.

it worked as neither sharer wanted to compete, both enjoyed fun outings. One had lessons with same trainers as me. Both understood that horses long term interests came first.

Spirit2021

Visit site
In my experience it a lot stricter than a full loan and the owner has a big say in what the horse does. To be honest very strict when I was doing it I just got annoyed because the rules where crazy and just bought my own horse. That’s how I got my first horse ?.

Casey76

Visit site
For me a part loan is a share. Where you pay to “rent” a horse for a set number of days per week.

The contract should state the rules of what is expected, what tack is to be used, level of activity, what types of activity etc. Certainly the owner can chip in to say if they think that certain ways of riding are interfering with the ongoing education of the horse.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I'm in my first month of having a sharer, my horse is on full livery kept at the yard where he has been on for the last four years, my arrangement with the sharer is that she, I and the professional rider who he is on livery with ride him a set number of days a week, we coordinate days and what we are going to do to make sure that he is exercised consistantly and schooled by the professional to keep him the fit healthy chap that he is.
I have said to my sharer that I'm happy for her to do what she, wants with him, but that she runs it by the professional rider who has known him all the time I've had him, before doing anything out of the ordinary. At the moment she is having lessons on him, hacking him and also learning to lunge/longrein him and enjoying it hugely. I am happy that she could travel him to a competition or fun ride or indeed hunt him if she wished to, my only stipulations are if she wants to do anything out of the ordinary with him she asks in advance, if she notices a problem or concern that she tells me or the trainer - ranging from behaviour to illness/injury, she tells me if anything breaks and alway wear hi viz if she hacks.
In return she pays me a set rate that equates to X number of riding days per week - regardless of whether she rides or not and my Full Livery charge has reduced reflecting his not needing to be ridden four days a week.
My sharer is a delightful lady who adores my boy and is getting a huge amount out of it, she turns up does her thing and heads off home, she might like I do pop in every now and then to fuss him and see him, but doesnt spend her whole day there and doesnt inconvenience my trainer. My trainer gets extra income teaching my sharer and has been able to free up more time through not having to ride mine twice more in the week.
For me it means that I have someone else of similar ability riding my horse and giving me feedback, I get pleasure from other people getting pleasure from my horse and financially its cut my costs by several hundred £ per month which allows me more flexibility in terms of my work choice. An absolute win-win-win

Surbie

Visit site
I don't think a part loan exists. To me that is a sharer, and a loan is taking the horse on full-time.

As far as sharing goes, I would agree what the horse could and couldn't do up front and have regular communication about what my horse is doing, how it is going, whether there are any issues and to be asked before it is taken to any events. I would expect to be able to trust the sharer to ride my horse within the limits that I set - and if they didn't the share would end.

If you share ownership you're an owner.

eggs

Visit site
I think you are talking about being a sharer rather than a loaner where you take on the responsibility and costs of the horse.

if you are the part loaner it sounds to me as though the owner is either a control freak or is unsure of your ability.

Ultimately they own the horse and it is not for the part loaner to ‘do as they please’ with him/her.

FantaPlease

Visit site
My pony is on loaner 3 days a week as a LR for her son. She has part loaned my pony since Sept and never put a foot wrong, she takes care of her beautifully and buys her bedding.
She does ask me if i want her out/in/rugged/muzzled ect on each of her days as she had a bout if lami 3 yrs ago.

Cutgrass

Visit site

Whatever answers you've been given here, it sounds like you're fed up! Not sure whether you're

Branna

Visit site
I think the term part loan has crept in to describe a sharer.

There are so many variations on days, duties, how much paid if anything etc but ultimately it is up to the owner what can be done with the horse.

Interesting, because we have always used the term 'part loaner' rather than 'sharer' but seem to mean the same as most above. And one of our part loaners has been with us for over 20 years and is on her third of our horses so it's not a new term!

Our part loaners ride an agreed 3 days a week, muck out or poo pick on their day but we would not expect them to come up twice, we will do one end of the day. They have always mainly hacked in summer but in the winter will school more often, have lessons, and we will offer lifts to competitions where possible and suitable for the horse. We would offer advice and give a lesson where needed, at the end of the day you don't want the way your horse is ridden to be to their detriment. Always have had good relationships with our part loaners, although you get the odd flaky one that was never going to last 5 minutes.

If someone came up and expected to, for a contribution to my horses' costs, act as if they owned the horse for their days I'd tell them to save their pennies and buy their own.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Part loan/share. Same thing to me.

Just means you pay a set amount to have use of the horse on a set number of days each week.

scats

Visit site
Interesting, because we have always used the term 'part loaner' rather than 'sharer' but seem to mean the same as most above. And one of our part loaners has been with us for over 20 years and is on her third of our horses so it's not a new term!

Our part loaners ride an agreed 3 days a week, muck out or poo pick on their day but we would not expect them to come up twice, we will do one end of the day. They have always mainly hacked in summer but in the winter will school more often, have lessons, and we will offer lifts to competitions where possible and suitable for the horse. We would offer advice and give a lesson where needed, at the end of the day you don't want the way your horse is ridden to be to their detriment. Always have had good relationships with our part loaners, although you get the odd flaky one that was never going to last 5 minutes.

If someone came up and expected to, for a contribution to my horses' costs, act as if they owned the horse for their days I'd tell them to save their pennies and buy their own.

When we were kids, a lot of my friends had part loans of 2-4 days a week. The term share was never used around here.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I never heard of shares/part loans when I was a kid but then most ponies lived out so there wasn't the same need for help with costs, chores and exercising.

When I got back into riding after a long break, I came across 'sharing' as a thing and even the adverts came under a section called 'horses for share'. This would have been about 15 years ago. I did share for a bit and then got my own horse and had sharers.

Thinking about it, I've only come across the term part loan on here or online. On the yards I've been on, people talk about their sharers or their share horse. I wonder if there are regional differences.

Adoni123

Visit site
I’ve part loaned a lot due to being too busy for my own.
I would check with owner prior to see if anything needing to be done on my days 2-3 days a week. I mainly helped hack. Was allowed to take them to fun places like the beach when agreed in advance.
Most of the time small financial contribution like paying their shoe bill.
Requires good communication with owner ☺️

Cutgrass

Visit site

Hi OP, I don't know whether you're the owner or loaner in this situation, but regardless the issue seems to be more about the communication between the two. What's done with the horse should always come down to the owner and the agreement in place, but in a positive part loan situation that will have been discussed with the loaner and will also benefit them - i.e. they get to ride without the commitment and expense of owning.