what does this say about fitness?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Hi guys, after a little advice regarding my horses fitness.
I would deem my mare fit, she happily hacks 10 miles to competitions or xc schooling lasting about 1.5 miles. And the journeys aren't slow. Including long bouts of trot or canter. She doesnt sweat from this exertion and is just as happy to go forward at the end of the day as at the beginning. She has completed. One day event without being fazed by it in recent weeks. However point her up a gallop - in trot and by furlong 3 the power has drained. Is it because its a deeper surface, up a hill or just a true reflection of her fitness level? In canter its 5 furlongs up hill before she tires... Neither trot or canter up the gallops causes her to sweat, she just visibly tires and wants to walk before continuing. I'm worried that she's not as fit as I think and I want to make sure she's comfortable at the level were competing at, don't want her to become tired half way round xc.

I know its a silly question but I've not had to get her fit before now and want to make sure I'm on the right track. :)

anna22

Visit site
People don't realise how much exertion it is to trot up inclines... it's far more hard work than people imagine. It depends what level you're competing at, most people say for 80, 90 and probably 100 you don't need to do structured fitness work.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
We are aiming for 100 by the end of the season. My worst nightmare is her getting tired and to hit fences or misjudge them toward the end of a xc round. Not sure my nerves could cope, lol.

clippi

Visit site
You are trsting two different fitness, your everyday stuff - hacking out for 1.5 hours, doing 10 miles etc is aerobic fitness; whereas gallop work is anaerobic fitness

Kelpie

Visit site
what breed is your horse?

People always say that for up to 100's you don't really need to do the fittening work but I think there's a big assumption in there that you're competing a WB or TB that gets fit easy. For eventing my little connie at 100, we definately need to do our fittening work!

the impact of hills has a massive effect on fittening too.

Basically you need to train for what you need to get fit for, if that makes sense. So if you need to gallop/ fast canter for 6 minutes, then you need to practice that (and that's where interval training comes in handy). If you want to do endurance and practice the longer rides, albeit mostly in trot with some canters, then that's what you practice. If you know you have an event coming with hill work, make sure you've practiced your hill work, etc, etc........