What flourescent gear?

miamibear

Visit site
Im purchasing a full set of flourescent gear soon for those winter months, what items are good?

I have a tabbard but want exercise sheet for definate and then anythign you guys suggest as being good!!

I wont be riding in the dark but its for those dull days on the country roads! I must hack every weekend provided the roads are not icy.

Any suggestions?

jj_87

Visit site
leg bands and a had band i'd deffo reccomend. Derby house have a large selection of reflective stuff. You can get tabbards that flash too now

Snowberry

Visit site
as much as you can!! I saw some girls on our yard leaving for a hack last night, on country lanes with NO REFLECTIVE gear at all!!
shocked.gif

My kids wear tabards and exercise sheets (both in yellow) whatever time of day they are riding.

_April_

Visit site
I have the tabbard, exercise sheet, leg bands and tail bandage! We look like a big yellow blob coming along the road hehe

I think the tabbard is def. the most effective thing you can wear. The other items just provide that extra coverage for added safety. The sheets are great if it's raining too!

To be honest I think everyone should wear High Viz clothing all year round. I try to anyway.

riotgirl

Visit site
Echo the leg bands and the hat band. I also got some bands that velcro over the reins, but I am not a fan of these. I personally find that they make the reins very heavy. Must admit I only bought them because they were pink and on offer
blush.gif
, but I won't be using them this year.

miamibear

Visit site
I like to wear boots on my boy and i have a feeling the leg bands wont be big enough to go over boots so i think they are out as they are only one size.

Does the tail guard thingie slip down?

Definately want an ecercise sheet and im getting myself a flourescent waterproof bomber jacket.

riotgirl

Visit site
Just to warn you - don't save money by getting a tabard from a builders merchants like I did. They come in one size which is XXXL and I look like I am wearing a flourescent dress whenever I hack out
blush.gif
grin.gif

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Minimum I wear is a rather loud fluoro pink and yellow quartered hat silk, bright pink tabard and leg bands. I don't need to do much road work, but wear everything even if just out and about on the farm as it means tractors etc can see me from a distance (and hopefully slow down!).

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I look like I am wearing a flourescent dress whenever I hack out
blush.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL My friend has one of those. It's her own fault though as she was riding out without any reflective stuff on and some workmen stopped her and made her take one of theirs! She has to wear it every time she rides now or they give her a hard time!

kick_On

Visit site
PMSL
grin.gif
grin.gif

that's what i brought from charity shop, but then i cut the bottom bit of and made good waistcoat. Then with rest made four leg boot with velrco, easy it take about an 1 hour.
cool.gif
cool.gif

g

jacks_mum

Visit site
leg bands do fit over boots and i have a flourescent neck band like a martingale but doesn't go to the reins, just round the neck and down to the girth.

I also have a flourescent bomber jack that OH got me from ebay. it is lovely as it is padded and waterproof so i wear it all winter.

miamibear

Visit site
Do they even fit over big legs!! My boy is x full boots at the back!!

Want one of those neck strap things too and a hat band and an exercise sheet.

Not sure on the tail guard until i find out if they fall down or not!! Dont want it slipping off mid hack!!

_April_

Visit site
I use a tail bandage not a tail guard but I've never had a problem with it slipping. It's about 10 years old now lol

Pidge

Visit site
I use the leg wraps over his boots, he takes L on front and XL on back legs. I also have a wrap around flourescent excercise sheet (waterproof) from Derby House, which goes over the saddle, bar the seat, fastening in front of the saddle with velcro. There are holes for the stirrups to come through so by the time you are sat in the saddle pretty much all of it is covered, very useful if it's raining. Pidge is in a 7ft rug and I've got the 5ft exercise sheet which fits him fine. Wouldn't be without these when hacking in the winter, fantastic stuff
smile.gif

Bess

Visit site
I always wear a tabard and hat cover, summer and winter. I got the MOD tabard and sheet so I'll start using that. I also recently bought a fluorescent bomber jacket in a fisherman's shop, only cost £15, so I'll wear that when its wet or windy.

sally2008

Visit site
I've got flurescent polo shirts for hacking in, courtesy of my brother who works for a big construction industry supply firm. Not the height of fashion but no one can miss me!

I've also got leg wraps that seem fit over even the biggest of boots, judging by the number of times they get "borrowed". LOL!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
In a horsey magazine, I read a survey regarding flourescent gear (some time ago). They tested loads of drivers and the single most noticeable item turned out to be leg bands (on the horse that is).

Obviously the more flourescent stuff the more noticeable you'll be, but the leg bands were rated very highly.

Tharg

Visit site
I got mine from ebay at fairly cheap prices.

I have a tabard that I got from a generic supplier (not specifically equestrian), they were good they gave measurements around the chest for different sizes. I also have a reflective breast plate which is fully adjustable.

Daffers

Visit site
i usually go out in yellow tabbard, and hat cover, while my big neddy is kitted out in bright pink exercise sheet....... often get commented on how visible we are!!!!!

Salcey

Visit site
For days when you don't want to use the exercise sheet a few manufacturers now have reflective and flashing tail guards - very effective!!!! and for anyone out there that thinks that reflective stuff is a waste of money, my 12yo daughter with reflective tabard nearly got taken out on a bend by a car last sunday, they were going so fast they tried to break when they saw her but mounted the verge (where she was riding behind me) and past her backside into the ditch. Those extra seconds may have made all the difference.........

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I bought a horsewear set that has been very good especially as it was pitch black when i got back and I was riding down the A38 over a motorway bridge
crazy.gif

I also bought leg bands as it did not have this and now I can be seen from all angles!

hairycob

Visit site
A few weeks ago out hacking we went round a bend to see a dog walker already putting her 2 large GSD's on the lead - she had seen our hi viz over the hedge, so it's not only useful if you are on the road.
We wear it all year round, on or off road - markets are really good - waist coat £2.99, jacket £15 to £30 depending on style.
Thinking of getting tail wraps now - anybody tried them do they stay on as have had trouble with sheets - a lot seem to have a strange fit & the girth loop bits are way behind the saddle

TGM

Visit site
I always wear a fluorescent reflective band on my hat (makes it easy for people to spot you over hedges), plus either a fluorescent T shirt, tabard or coat (depending on the weather). I find it a good idea to make sure that you have Hi Viz on items you would normally use on you or the horse - ie a band on your hat, a Hi Viz coat etc. That way you won't be tempted to leave them off if you are in a hurry - which might be the case if you solely rely on things like tailguards etc.