What have I let myself in for? (Showing people)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
So in an effort to be a good citizen (and because at some point I WILL take The Beast out to Riding Club stuff so I want to contribute not just take), I volunteered myself and MrPF to help at the riding club show...

They've asked me to steward for the working hunter ring (Mr PF gets to man the gate)... erm. Yes no problem, says I. But I'm not really sure 100% what that means. I'll have a clipboard and a pen and get to direct people about. It'll be really interesting because working hunter is one showing class I'd quite like to have a go at if I'm ever brave enough. Can someone talk me through the process of a working hunter class and what a steward is likely to be asked to do. I'm hoping the judge doesn't mind me figuring out as we go but some general idea to start with would be good.

Hahahaha. This is what you get for trying to be a good person. It's just a Riding Club show so hopefully no one is going to mind what I wear? Right?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You need to be clean and tidy, dressed suitably for the weather but not in riding gear, as you are not riding. The judge should tell you what s/he would like you to do but at RC they don't always really know. The judge will expect you to mark how the rider performs at each jump (clear, knock down, refusal) 3 refusals = elimination, then will give you a mark for style and manners to add to the score out of 50.

Depending on how many there are in the class, the clears will be asked to come back in to do their shows. You will be expected to bring each horse out of the line-up to wait for the previous horse to finish its show, so that the class keeps to time. The judge will also give you a mark for conformation/manners for the show, you will be expected to add the marks for each horse together to give the placings. Should the judge ride the horses (unlikely at RC level), you will need to assist with mounting.

Visit site
Oooft! You couldn't have been given a more annoying class to steward for! BUT stewarding is great fun! You get to meet so many different people and the bonus - the final placings aren't down to you so no one can moan at/about you! I love stewarding far far more than judging! I avoid working hunter rings because I have never done it. But as PAS said - the judge will dictate marks for each fence/competitor and you need to add them up. Take a calculator with you if you want. Rather look a bit daft using one of them than add it up wrong!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm probably speaking too soon but adding up scores is the least daunting bit for me! Lol.

Thank you both. I'm sure I'll be a bit confused in the first class but be an expert by the second. If I do get overwhelmed I can swap with MrPF on the gate I'm sure.

I'm struggling for smart clothes a bit but can just about manage clean and tidy.

Visit site
I'm probably speaking too soon but adding up scores is the least daunting bit for me! Lol.

Thank you both. I'm sure I'll be a bit confused in the first class but be an expert by the second. If I do get overwhelmed I can swap with MrPF on the gate I'm sure.

I'm struggling for smart clothes a bit but can just about manage clean and tidy.

Clean, tidy and wear a hat! Even if it is a baseball cap or cheap straw hat thingy from asda.

I tend to wear dark coloured chinos with walking boots (you'll do a fair bit of walking!) And the top half depends on the weather and what I am stewarding. If I am legging up I have a brown fleece coat that I can move easily in, for anything else its either my tweed waistcoat on dry days or my long waterproof coat because this is Scotland!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
A hat! Jesus. Lol. I feel a trip to Tesco coming on. A baseball cap? Are you sure? It might be a woolly hat at this rate.

Edited to add... Just checked... we're not traditionalists, no hat required thank God. Hahaha.

Last edited:

SmallHunter

Visit site
You should be give a sheet which will have the class number and name and the competitor's numbers on so you can mark them off as they appear. If the show doesn't have a tannoy you might need to call the class so just call the name and number of the class.
The judge might get you to do the pull in at the end (this depends on the judge some prefer to do it themselves) and you will have to retrieve the rosettes, prizes, qualification cards etc.
You might need to put any poles back up between jumping rounds again depends on the show some might have an extra person to do that.
You might have to call for competitors to trot, canter and extend and you will have to show them where to change rein, they should go around you but I always keep an eye out just in case:D.
Stewarding is normally good fun you might get the odd moaner but most people are fine. If you get a persistent moaner just mention it to the secretary and tell the competitor that they should direct their complaints to the secretary in the politest of tones and with a big smile:p. I think I've only ever had to do that once though (and the secretary was my mother) and I have stewarded a lot.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A hat! Jesus. Lol. I feel a trip to Tesco coming on. A baseball cap? Are you sure? It might be a woolly hat at this rate.

Edited to add... Just checked... we're not traditionalists, no hat required thank God. Hahaha.

When I first started stewarding at a local agricultural show, female stewards were expected to wear a skirt! Thank goodness we have moved on from that. You had to choose a straight skirt to preserve your modesty on a windy day but be able to move easily :eek:
Windy days usually mean that we do away with our hats too!

Visit site
Well I enjoyed that very much. Although I'm extremely tired and my adding up skills got overwhelmed by the social effort so I got my calculator out after the first class... too many numbers ending in 7.

I pretty much want to have a go at working hunter now too.

I genuinely enjoy stewarding! It's great fun when it's not raining and your not soaked through to your pants! I'm glad you had a good day. Being in the middle of the ring gives you a whole new insight into showing!