What height do you think he will make?

I See Clover

Visit site
Inspired by another thread.

As per the title really. He has just turned two and standing around 15.2hh. His sire was a full cob standing approx 14.3hh and piebald. Dam was a sport horse, approx 16hh and palimino.

This was taken in January (sorry about the quality, taken on phone :eek:)

402374_314840091872844_100000405688085_1044164_1921118956_n by lem20, on Flickr

These were taken end of Feb roughly

20.02.12 - Ty Outside the Stable Block (2) by lem20, on Flickr

20.02.12 - Ty Outside the Stable Block (3) by lem20, on Flickr

What do you think?

rowy

Visit site
Probably around 16hh. He still needs to catch up with his bum which looks to be an inch bigger than his forehand. I would be surprised if he ends up bigger than 16hh because his sire was so small. But sometimes they do grow a bit taller.
Just out of interest how tall are you? As my horse is 15hh and I am 5ft6 and he comes up to the same height as where your horse comes up to next to you, when he is stood next to me....

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He's lovely! :)

I think that he is longer in the body than my 2 year old, who's just had an upwards growth spurt and is looking very short lengthwise again. ;)

Have you tried the string test? Take a leadrope and measure between his elbow and fetlock. Keep hold of that measurement and move the leadrope so that is goes from above his withers to his elbow. The gap between his withers and the top of the leadrope is approx the amount he still has to grow in height.

competitiondiva

Visit site
what height were the grandsires/dams? I ask because you can get a throw back. My 3 year old is out of my 15.2 mare by a 16.1hh stallion and he's now 16.2 and bum high!!!

I See Clover

Visit site
Probably around 16hh. He still needs to catch up with his bum which looks to be an inch bigger than his forehand. I would be surprised if he ends up bigger than 16hh because his sire was so small. But sometimes they do grow a bit taller.
Just out of interest how tall are you? As my horse is 15hh and I am 5ft6 and he comes up to the same height as where your horse comes up to next to you, when he is stood next to me....

Yeah he is a little bum high atm. He has had a growth spurt from when we first went to see him last Sep!

Height wise, I'm around 5'5 maybe! We haven't actually measured him, just a rough guess so he could well be at the 15hh mark. My friends mare is 15hh and he's taller than her, but maybe got mares height wrong. Will need to look out my measuring stick :eek:

Last edited:

shadowboy

Visit site
Oh he's stunning!! Adore him. I have to say he looks smaller than 15.2hh there is a intermediate show horse on our yard who's 15hh and her owner is 5'6 and she can see over the top of her mare easily like your boy. I'd guess he's 15hh. If that's the case is say 16hh ay maturity. My id x warmblood grew from 14.3hh at 2 years 6 months to 16hh at maturity. I love your boy's colouring and build!

rowy

Visit site
Yeah he is a little bum high atm. He has had a growth spurt from when we first went to see him last Sep!

Height wise, I'm around 5'5 maybe! We haven't actually measured him, just a rough guess so he could well be at the 15hh mark. My friends mare is 15hh and he's taller than her, but maybe got mares height wrong. Will need to look out my measuring stick :eek:

Haha yeh was only asking as lots of people over estimate their horses height. If he is 15hh then I would think he will def make just 16hh :)

domane

Visit site
I think 16.2+. I always thought height was down to the parentage but my mare is 14.1 and a half and has been served three times by the same stallion who is bang on 14hh. Her first colt is rising two and already standing at 15hh and her filly who is a year in a couple of weeks is already standing at 13.2hh.

I See Clover

Visit site
He's lovely! :)

I think that he is longer in the body than my 2 year old, who's just had an upwards growth spurt and is looking very short lengthwise again. ;)

Have you tried the string test? Take a leadrope and measure between his elbow and fetlock. Keep hold of that measurement and move the leadrope so that is goes from above his withers to his elbow. The gap between his withers and the top of the leadrope is approx the amount he still has to grow in height.

Thank you :) He has had a growth spurt too. We went to view him last september and he was about the same height as my mare who is 14.1hh. He still has a lot of growing out to do, he has no chest at all :eek:

Heard of the string test, but never actually knew what it involved. Will need to try it out now :D

what height were the grandsires/dams? I ask because you can get a throw back. My 3 year old is out of my 15.2 mare by a 16.1hh stallion and he's now 16.2 and bum high!!!

Sire is a full cob, approx 14.3hh and piebald. Dam is a sportshorse, approx 16hh and palimino.

Haha, bet that was a surprise :D

Oh he's stunning!! Adore him. I have to say he looks smaller than 15.2hh there is a intermediate show horse on our yard who's 15hh and her owner is 5'6 and she can see over the top of her mare easily like your boy. I'd guess he's 15hh. If that's the case is say 16hh ay maturity. My id x warmblood grew from 14.3hh at 2 years 6 months to 16hh at maturity. I love your boy's colouring and build!

Thanks :) Yeah we will need to get him measured so we can get an exact height. Some of them grow so fast don't they! 16hh would be the perfect height, so fingers crossed :D Thanks, he has such a lovely nature too. Constantly putting my mare to shame :rolleyes:

Haha yeh was only asking as lots of people over estimate their horses height. If he is 15hh then I would think he will def make just 16hh :)

I'd guess 16h too. But looks like he has low withers so I think under saddle he'll look & feel bigger.

It would be a good height for him especially when he grows into himself a bit more! He's all leg atm!

I think 16.2+. I always thought height was down to the parentage but my mare is 14.1 and a half and has been served three times by the same stallion who is bang on 14hh. Her first colt is rising two and already standing at 15hh and her filly who is a year in a couple of weeks is already standing at 13.2hh.

My mum might faint if he gets that big :D Yeah we were talking about that the other day and think it is quite possible for him to exceed 16hh. That's a really big growth from the size of your dam and sire, I wonder what height they will make! It's quite exciting ;)