What/how much do you feed your good doers in winter?

scrunchie

Visit site
Well, I'm not planning on giving my cob mares anything more than a mineral lick this winter.

I've been quite lucky. The man I rent my land off of never got round to making hay this year so my girls have got 3 acres of knee high grass to munch on. Both of them are fatter than they should be anyway. They live out 24/7.

The_snoopster

Visit site
I feed my cob mare nuts,chaff and speedibeet plus supplements for her joints as she is 22. I adjust the amount for the amount of weight she is carrying, at the beginning of winter the buckets are small, as she as loads of grass in her winter field. I do not put hay out untill the grass as all gone, unless we have heavy snow. She always has access to a good mineral/salt lick, and has carrots and apples a few times a week as a treat.

touchstone

Visit site
I feed high fibre haylage at up to 1.5 - 2% bodyweight. I also like to give a bucket feed of something moistened to keep hydrated when temperatures are very low, so feed about a kilo a day of fast fibre mixed with a bit of chaff or speedibeet and chaff.

Winklepoker

Visit site
This is my first year with a non TB so I will play it by ear, would rather feed ad lib hay/haylage than hard feed anyday. Last winter I was pumping the little TB with build up feeds so fingers crossed for a cheaper fat pony winter :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nowt! Until they start to lose a little, then hay/haylage and clean straw. But then we are lucky in that the grass grows nearly all the year round and we have more than enough acreage for 3 horses.

lochpearl

Visit site
Mine have Hifi Lite chaff and spillers light balancer, they are both in work and literally only have a handful of chaff in each feed with their balancer and supplements. One has haylage and the other is on 12 hour soaked hay. My fields are bare as have had them grazed down by other horses so they are perfect for my lami horse and I will only put hay out in the field when it's frosty or snowy.

vicksey

Visit site
During the winter my good doer is on top spec comprehensive balancer and a handfull of chaff and some oats if lacking energy and weather allows to ride most days. Plenty of hay over night whilst stabled but bear field during the day.

Brandy

Visit site
I have recently revamped my feeds as I seemed to have loads of different types. So I now have in what the old TB has, and the two fatties will get a handful of whatever hes having - in this case I think they will be having Alfa A oil, to keep them happy. They have access to a mineral lick, and will get hay during the day (when they are all turned out together and the TB needs the hay!) at night they will get their token feed.