what importance do you give to over tracking?

tristar

Visit site
what importance if any do you give to over tracking, when assessing a young or unbroken horse, or does it not matter you?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I tend to view it as part of the whole .
Very uphill youngsters rarely have impressive over track and a young TB will tend to but will lack lift through the withers but will over track effortlessly .
Depending on the whole package it would never be a deal breaker .

maya2008

Visit site
Depends on the purpose for which you are buying it, cost of horse and if they can show it nicely for you?

I buy ponies to be allrounders, the last three I picked for their kind faces. Never even saw them move. The gelding is shaping up to be everything we had dreamed of - suitable for a novice to compete, loves schooling, looks good and people admire him wherever we go!

My pony was supposed to be my son’s - but she is amazing for me and has the same nice movement as her half brother. Jumps with ease so far and schools nicely.

Both of them came from a breeder though who was reputable. Lovely lady, lovely ponies, good breeding for the type with previous ponies with her prefix doing well. I went back for the second after the first turned out so well!

The last one...she looked sweet and is put together ok. She is bold so will hopefully jump well for my son when old enough. I spent less and expect less there though!

tristar

Visit site
i have one short backed horse, light at the front when ridden, who barely over tracks when lunged, but one coming through lunging and lining who has seriously huge over track and is a fabulous mover

tristar

Visit site
Depends on the purpose for which you are buying it, cost of horse and if they can show it nicely for you?

I buy ponies to be allrounders, the last three I picked for their kind faces. Never even saw them move. The gelding is shaping up to be everything we had dreamed of - suitable for a novice to compete, loves schooling, looks good and people admire him wherever we go!

My pony was supposed to be my son’s - but she is amazing for me and has the same nice movement as her half brother. Jumps with ease so far and schools nicely.

Both of them came from a breeder though who was reputable. Lovely lady, lovely ponies, good breeding for the type with previous ponies with her prefix doing well. I went back for the second after the first turned out so well!

The last one...she looked sweet and is put together ok. She is bold so will hopefully jump well for my so

oh i agree the head is the first thing i look at, but also considering the rear end over track as this one`s is huge

catkin

Visit site
I still go on the old adage of look for a good walk as the rest can be trained.
not so much over-tracking as such but the way the whole horse moves - do they 'walk like a dancer' ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think its not the be all and end all. Like GS says there can be multiple things at work.
My horse with a giant overtrack found collected walk nigh on impossible for years and pushed herself out of balance . The one with the most modest walk has found collection a complete doddle so while her scores were never stellar for walk work at the lower levels it hasn't mattered at all. A correct walk is more important than a big one imo.

rara007

Visit site
I’d expect them to at least over track (as in hoof prints in hoof prints) and wouldn’t buy them if that wasn’t natural. How far over I’m not so fussed, as said above a massive walk doesn’t always make life easy.

tristar

Visit site
I tend to view it as part of the whole .
Very uphill youngsters rarely have impressive over track and a young TB will tend to but will lack lift through the withers but will over track effortlessly .
Depending on the whole package it would never be a deal breaker .

i have found this. horse years ago, fabulous mover huge over track high% tb part welsh not easy to get off forehand, presently high% tb pba very little over track feels very light at the front

tristar

Visit site
I still go on the old adage of look for a good walk as the rest can be trained.
not so much over-tracking as such but the way the whole horse moves - do they 'walk like a dancer' ?

yes a special walk, i look for fluidity of the whole, when on the move