What indicates a dun/buckskin?

shadowboy

Visit site
I have a rising 2 year old sec D X Unknown. He's currently shedding his winter coat and the colour appearing beneath it is unlike any I've seen before. He has a mealy muzzle that is a pale caramel colour including round his eyes. His fetlocks and lower leg is a kind of ashen/silvery chocolate colour and he had almost blonde/caramel coloured armpits and tummy. His main coat looks a bright bay with a lot of white hairs flecked within (almost roan) . His mane is dark bay but his tail is bay streaked with silver. All really odd. Any idea if this is a form of dun? Or is it just typical bay colouring? His passport states he is bay.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have a rising 2 year old sec D X Unknown. He's currently shedding his winter coat and the colour appearing beneath it is unlike any I've seen before. He has a mealy muzzle that is a pale caramel colour including round his eyes. His fetlocks and lower leg is a kind of ashen/silvery chocolate colour and he had almost blonde/caramel coloured armpits and tummy. His main coat looks a bright bay with a lot of white hairs flecked within (almost roan) . His mane is dark bay but his tail is bay streaked with silver. All really odd. Any idea if this is a form of dun? Or is it just typical bay colouring? His passport states he is bay.

Can you post a picture or link? Sounds lovely. Not dun from your description but may be golden buckskin or something else entirely, maybe bay with pangare. The white flecking and silver streaking could be sabino.

Last edited:

shadowboy

Visit site
I'll get some pictures this afternoon 😀 He's a freebie that was dumped on my friend as his owner went AWOL but thankfully she had the foresight to keep the passport on her livery yard. Her owner abandoned him in Novemeber last year - I've had him since 7th Feb. So no one knows what he typically looks like in summer clothing!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm not a colour expert but if he has a dorsal stripe, he's a dun. If not, very likely a buckskin.

Duns tend to have darker heads than their bodies where as buckskins have lighter heads (especially muzzle and around eyes). This is why I don't think the OP's horse is a dun. Could be wrong though. Looking forwards to the pics.

A good comparison is here, about 3/4 down the page http://unicornsofkalidore.angelfire.com/staff.html

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
I look forwards to seeing the photo, from your description he could be lots of things, sounds like pangare, rabicano, maybe silver, or wild bay or sooty, easy to guess online.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Dun is very rare in welshies Duns also have a whole heap of indicators and a slightly different tone of body dilution to cream (buckskin). He is bay, probably with pangare but would prefer a full body pic for that :)

shadowboy

Visit site

Enfys

Visit site
Definitely bay, probably wild bay, I had an arab mare that was wild bay she had a dark line down the back of her legs, but not the usual black points of a regular bay.

shadowboy

Visit site
I did think he was bay but the odd leg and tail colours were what was throwing me. Never had a bay like that. Just now got to play a waiting game on height for the next 2 years.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Can I piggy back off this thread and ask what colour you think my mare is please? She is described as Dun on passport but from what I'm reading here ( and it's all a bit technical for me) she may not be. She Is silvery grey underneath with dapples, has silver in the mane, but red lowlights in her tail.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Can I piggy back off this thread and ask what colour you think my mare is please? She is described as Dun on passport but from what I'm reading here ( and it's all a bit technical for me) she may not be. She Is silvery grey underneath with dapples, has silver in the mane, but red lowlights in her tail.

Definitely not dun but may be buckskin. Hard to tell when clipped. Could even be light bay, but I think buckskin, personally.

On the Hoof

Visit site
Thank you both, well at least I know she isn't a Dun now but some kind of buckskin. Her colours change so much, one year she was just the palest yellow and the next as in the picture unclipped. The dapples come and go as well. I think she likes to keep me guessing.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thank you both, well at least I know she isn't a Dun now but some kind of buckskin. Her colours change so much, one year she was just the palest yellow and the next as in the picture unclipped. The dapples come and go as well. I think she likes to keep me guessing.

Buckskins do change colour a lot. My mare was born the pale caramel, and is now a kind of dark pewter.

LiffWee93

Visit site
op, your pony is a very similar colour to mine :) she started with a totally silver mane and tail as a baby, which have both darkened over age... her legs are brown, not black, with light hairs on particularly in winter :) shes always been described as "bright bay"
11220103_10156252764485066_573487703274134362_n.jpg

13091991_10156841335910066_5778070718383432468_n.jpg

she still have silver in her mane and tail but only single hairs spread evenly throughout.
sorry i couldnt fid a better photo to show her legs!

shadowboy

Visit site
op, your pony is a very similar colour to mine :) she started with a totally silver mane and tail as a baby, which have both darkened over age... her legs are brown, not black, with light hairs on particularly in winter :) shes always been described as "bright bay"
11220103_10156252764485066_573487703274134362_n.jpg

13091991_10156841335910066_5778070718383432468_n.jpg

she still have silver in her mane and tail but only single hairs spread evenly throughout.
sorry i couldnt fid a better photo to show her legs!
Aw what a cutie! Is yours a welshie?