What is a bubble bit?

Selkie

Visit site
My instructor says my horse leans on the bit and I ought to get a bubble bit, not because she is strong but to stop her leaning. I dont know what one is
confused.gif
and wondered if I should try flexi-reins instead

helenandshadow

Visit site
Yep is a dutch gag, also known as a belgian gag/continental gag/three-ring gag/three-ring snaffle etc. (don't know why it has so many names!) Looks like this:
3858.jpg

helenandshadow

Visit site
A dutch gag is quite a lot stronger than a french link snaffle. You could try a hanging cheek which isn't as strong as a dutch gag, or maybe a waterford to stop her leaning.

ETA - is her snaffle eggbutt or loose ring? My mare leans with an eggbutt but not with a loose ring.

Selkie

Visit site
I have a hanging cheek snaffle as well and she does the same in that. I dont really want to put her in a stronger bit if I dont need to. I asked about the flexi-reins because I have just read their ad and it says 'largely eliminates leaning on the bit and also head shaking' which is another of her little habits

helenandshadow

Visit site
Have you tried her in a loose ring? You might find it makes a difference, it did with Shadow. I can't comment on the flexi-reins as I haven't used them, but they sound like they could help.

Selkie

Visit site
Have't tried a loose ring but will do so. I really feel uncomfortable trying stronger bits (although my instructor does say I have good hands and wouldnt be bad to her!)

Selkie

Visit site
Hmm got to remember my pay pal password to pay for something I bought last night
confused.gif
and OH says I'm banned from that site because parcels keep arriving
blush.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Selkie

Visit site
Just to update you have eventually got in to paypal and bought a loose ring waterford snaffle half an inch bigger than her usual bit. I will let you know how we get on with it.

Zebedee

Visit site
I have to say that I think you are showing an alarming lack of faith in your instructors opinion, & I wonder if perhaps you need to think about changing, as confidence what your instructor tells you really important. (Having said that if any of my pupils bypassed my advice in this manner the changing instructor question wouldn't be an issue........!!!).
There is nothing wrong with any of the advice given on here, but perhaps you should have discussed the matter & your concerns re the dutch gag in more depth with your instructor.
Remember there's no such thing as a severe bit, only severe hands, so as your instructor tells you that your hands are good that shouldn't be a problem.

berry

Visit site
I think your instructor would be talking about a Waterford, I have heard some people call it a bubble bit.
You would need a waterford snaffle, I always thought a bradoon was the snaffle part in a double bridle and I did'nt know you could get a waterford one!!!!!