What is a good age for a child to start riding lessons?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My niece was 2 in May and is pony mad. ALways wants to come and see them and now likes sitting on them.

I've been over at my sisters tonight and somehow became "horse" to my niece and her friend! Walking round on my hands and knees with her 3 year old friend wobbling all over and grabbing my hair was not fun. Then my niece hopped on and her seat was amazing! Really well balanced and i was "trotting" around and she didnt slip or move once! I was really impressed and I reckon she will be an ace little rider!

I reckon shes still a bit young to understand riding lessons but at the same time would like her to get as much riding exposure as she can.

She can sit on my pony as much as she likes, but hes too big for her to ride. What do you guys think? xx

Last edited:

ruth83

Visit site
Most riding schools don't have insurance to take anyone under 5. Those who do usually only take them for little walks round.

If you're happy for her to sit on your pony and maybe have a walk round being held on, that's going to be the best start for her at the moment. You can 'teach' her things like how to hold the reins and 'steer' and stop and go.

At 5, group lessons will be the best way forward. They can learn from watching each other and the attention required is not overwhelming. The occaisional half hour private lesson every few months can sometimes be useful to give that extra push to achieve odd bits (e.g. a lunge lesson to help cement rising trot without holding on) but I don't recommend them regularly as the children do not usually have enough attention span to get proper benefit from them.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thanks. If she keeps up the interest ill probably get her a little pony on loan next year and see how she goes. I'm very excited to see what kind of rider she turns into x

Littlelegs

Visit site
I teach mine myself, she's been on them since being able to hold up her head. Obviously at a few months old I wasn't giving her instruction, but its amazing what they do naturally when they've always rode. As she got older I just included more on her rides, so wasn't a case of one day she started formal lessons. Even now at 7 while I give her proper instruction, its more in the form of fun, regardless of the content. As said though, few places take them under 5 now because of insurance.

katymay

Visit site
My Son is four and he has lessons at our local riding school, they do it on a one to one basis, he was off the lead rein and and learning to change direction and rise to trot on his first lesson, he does have a pony at home although he doesnt ride him a lot as he is a bit of a monster!