What is a realistic budget?

frazzled

Visit site
What would you think a realistic budget for the following would be? Schoolmaster gelding 15- 16hh suitable for competant child coming off ponies. Must have proven event record upto novice. Established flatwork.No vices . Good handle, travel, etc. Basically a superstar paragon of virtue!!!! ( and yes I know they are worth their weight in gold and as rare as hens teeth :) )

ihatework

Visit site
Depends on a) how competitive you want it to be, b) how old it is, c) how flexible you are on management issues

So not much help really!

Could be anywhere from 3K to 15K

I''m guessing a reasonable looking 15.2hh, proven at PC Opens / JRN but not a world beater, early teens, no major soundness issues you'd want a minimum of 6-7K but likely 10K

frazzled

Visit site
Something fairly competitive no major management issues. Prepared to go for slightly older horse as value experience as long as is fit and sound

TGM

Visit site
When we were looking those with respectable Novice XC records, but not so good dressage/SJ, even if early teens, seemed to be 8k plus. Hence we went down a different route!

ihatework

Visit site
Something fairly competitive no major management issues. Prepared to go for slightly older horse as value experience as long as is fit and sound

Competitive and sound then I'd agree with measles and go towards the top end of my original estimate. Although not in an abundant supply!
I know of a 16yo that was sound but had lost form at advanced being billed as a JRN/Junior for 18K, sold for less though I believe.