What is Bridle Lameness??

BorgRae

Visit site
Has anyone heard of Bridle Lameness, and if so, what is it? What are the signs? And what can you do to stop it?

...The reason I ask is that I have just read a thread about head nodding when riding and someone mentioned it could be because of Bridle Lameness.

Recently, my gelding has started to nod his head when I'm about to put his bridle on. Then when I ask for a contact, at first he's ok (for 5/10 mins or so), then begins with shaking his head and grabing for the reigns. When i give the reigns away and let him stretch he's fine?

I had his back checked last year, and the physio said he was tender in one of his shoulders and at the bottom of his back. He had treatment for this and I still continue to do the excersises she mentioned. I had her out 6 times in total until he was better.

I am now concerned that his back is bad again. Do you think it could be he back, or could it be something to do with his bridle/bridle lameness.

He has a comfort bridle with padding around the nose and poll, and has a loose ring snaffle with a losenge. His saddle was fitted last year along with teh physio treatment. Saddler has checked again, and it's fine.

Thank you so much for reading, lots of chocky biccy's for any help!!!

BorgRae

Visit site
I've found the link below, don't know anything about it myself, but you might want to have an experienced person have a look at you riding to make sure its not you

http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/TheBridleLameHorse.htm

Thank you for the link. That's really interesting...

he doesn't seem to do any of the short striding or skipping that they are talking about, so maybe it's not Bridle Lameness.

Which leads me to believe it may be his back again :(

I have lessons weeky, and my instructor on our last lesson made me ride him through it until I had managed to get what I was asking for (just a simple leg yeild down the 3 1/4 line).

Not sure if he does the head thing when he's tired maybe? If I only do a 20min schooling session, he seems fine. However, in lessons it's a different story!! Is he possible misbehaving?

Tickles

Visit site
I've heard 'bridle lameness' used as a short hand for 'horse doesn't want to work' (as in not lame in legs/back, just lazy). But I'm sure it has other meanings too.

It sounds as though your horse is uncomfortable somewhere OP. Every horse should be encouraged to stretch regularly during schooling but if this behaviour is new and your horse's workload hasn't increased it might well be a case of saddle not fitting so well anymore/something being tight/pulled... maybe get your instructor/YM to take a look and let them suggest either saddler or vet...

UPDTAE: Just read your second post... I'd ask your instructor about letting horse stretch regularly (they should be reminding you to do this every so often during a lesson). It should ideally be the case that you encourage him to stretch every few minutes (how often depends on horse and what you are doing) rather than him telling you. If you ride considerately (and have comfortabel horse in well-fitting tack etc) then horse should learn not to snatch stretches becasue they get enough that you ask for.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
I have always understood it to be that the horse bobs its head when its ridden or has a bridle on, hence why even with the stallion when the vet came up to him they were always trotted up in a headcollar.
Generally sending them forward into a contact works. Cunning little things are horses :D
Obviously regular stretching, putting a bit emphasis on forward energy and variety seems to help.

BorgRae

Visit site
I've heard 'bridle lameness' used as a short hand for 'horse doesn't want to work' (as in not lame in legs/back, just lazy). But I'm sure it has other meanings too.

It sounds as though your horse is uncomfortable somewhere OP. Every horse should be encouraged to stretch regularly during schooling but if this behaviour is new and your horse's workload hasn't increased it might well be a case of saddle not fitting so well anymore/something being tight/pulled... maybe get your instructor/YM to take a look and let them suggest either saddler or vet...

UPDTAE: Just read your second post... I'd ask your instructor about letting horse stretch regularly (they should be reminding you to do this every so often during a lesson). It should ideally be the case that you encourage him to stretch every few minutes (how often depends on horse and what you are doing) rather than him telling you. If you ride considerately (and have comfortabel horse in well-fitting tack etc) then horse should learn not to snatch stretches becasue they get enough that you ask for.

Thank you for this. When I ride him, he gets to stretch every 10 mins or so, however in our lessons, we are made to work into a contact pretty much the whole time (... and I do as i'm told!!) I will make sure that I tell my RI he needs to stretch more often!

He's definitely not lazy, in fact if anything he's very forward going, he loves to work, so now I have a better understanding of what Bridle Lameness is, I'm sure it's not that. But definitely think he just needs to stretch more!!

Thanks for your help!! Much appreciated!

K27

Visit site
The thoughts that i've had is- are the teeth due for rasping?- maybe there are some sharp edges or hooks? or is he getting dry dust up his nose or pollen allergy?

Could also be a strength thing and the stronger he gets in his muscles and frame the easier he will find the work, lots of stretching, leg yielding, rein backs, and hill work can help get them strong and carrying themselves.

Is he ridden in a flash noseband/crank noseband? is he better with it looser or tighter , have you tried a drop or cavesson?

Bridle lameness is where the horse will look lame when working, but when they are sent forwards strongly into a contact so they are carrying themselves correctly, they will become freer and the short steps will disappear.

BorgRae

Visit site
The thoughts that i've had is- are the teeth due for rasping?- maybe there are some sharp edges or hooks? or is he getting dry dust up his nose or pollen allergy?

Could also be a strength thing and the stronger he gets in his muscles and frame the easier he will find the work, lots of stretching, leg yielding, rein backs, and hill work can help get them strong and carrying themselves.

Is he ridden in a flash noseband/crank noseband? is he better with it looser or tighter , have you tried a drop or cavesson?

Bridle lameness is where the horse will look lame when working, but when they are sent forwards strongly into a contact so they are carrying themselves correctly, they will become freer and the short steps will disappear.

Thank you for your reply. He had his teeth done about 2 months ago. I have the dentist to him every 6-8 months as he does tend to get very sharp!! SO that shouldn't be a problem at the moment I don't think.

Hmm, not sure about the pollen alergy? That definitely may be worth looking into. Is it something they can develop as they get older. I've had him since he was 3. He's 7 now and not had allergies before, but if they can begin to develop them at an older age, I will defo check it out!!

I currently ride in a flash nose band. I used to ride in a caveson, but my intructor told me to put him in a flash. He has gone better since I put him in it. I might try loosening it a notch maybe? See if that makes any difference. Or, may take him back to the caveson and see what happens!!

You're para on Bridle lameness is great thank you. It does seem to rule him out as he doesn't go lame when I ride, he just fights and snatches with his head.

Thanks again for your post. Will try all those things!! :)

ozpoz

Visit site
Bridle lameness is usually back/neck discomfort - or caused by the saddle, so you were on the right track. It's another of those 'old fashioned' terms like cold backed - nowadays we have a lot more diagnostic tools to identify problems so those terms aren't used so much. But sometimes, the rider/owner is in tune enough to pick up where something is wrong, as you seem to be!

BorgRae

Visit site
Bridle lameness is usually back/neck discomfort - or caused by the saddle, so you were on the right track. It's another of those 'old fashioned' terms like cold backed - nowadays we have a lot more diagnostic tools to identify problems so those terms aren't used so much. But sometimes, the rider/owner is in tune enough to pick up where something is wrong, as you seem to be!

Thank you! I guess, like most people, I like to think I know when something is wrong... although I do wish he could talk sometimes!! That would make life a lot easier!!! ;)