What is high mileage for a 3.5 horsebox

Lexie01

Visit site
Hi,
I have owned my 3.5 horsebox for about 5 years and never had any problems with it. It has done just over 105,000 miles in total.
It was perfect when we had ponies as it had a solid wall between the horse and groom area - nothing for my naughty pony to try and jump over! However we now have a large 16.2 horse. He fits in height wise but the space feels quite tight length ways for him.
As the box is looking a bit tired now anyway I have been looking at other 3.5 conversions which are more open. Many though seem to have similar mileage to my current box.
So my question is would it be worthwhile actually completely 'converting' mine again and indeed is this possible? I don't live too far from John Oates Horseboxes who I would get to do the conversion.
Please note I absolutely don't want a trailer and I do have a 7.5 horsebox for stay aways but I prefer to run around in a smaller/cheaper box.
Thank you all xx

L&M

Visit site
I have had 3 x 3.5t horse boxes, they have all had mileage over 100,000, and never had any major engine related issues.

If you know your vehicle, feel confident in it, and have looked after it mechanically I would look at keeping it and adjusting as necessary - a lot of 3.5t lorries have reasonably high mileage as have done another job prior.

Lady Jane

Visit site
If you are near John Oates I would definitely see what suggestions they have and get an idea of price. You don't say how old your chassis is but that is not high mileage

PSD

Visit site
Mines done over 200k and still runs very well. So I would definitely consider making the changes, trouble is with buying anothe is that you don’t know of any hidden nasties until you’ve got it and using it. I did get caught out with mine (sort of) it needed new injectors and other mechanical stuff that I have no idea about so couldn’t tell you. However they were just wear and tear things (box is 57 reg so not young).

Id personally prefer to make adjustments to one I know is fine otherwise than risk buying a money pit.

I do love my little box but I’ll be selling it next year and getting a trailer.

Lexie01

Visit site
Mines done over 200k and still runs very well. So I would definitely consider making the changes, trouble is with buying anothe is that you don’t know of any hidden nasties until you’ve got it and using it. I did get caught out with mine (sort of) it needed new injectors and other mechanical stuff that I have no idea about so couldn’t tell you. However they were just wear and tear things (box is 57 reg so not young).

Id personally prefer to make adjustments to one I know is fine otherwise than risk buying a money pit.

I do love my little box but I’ll be selling it next year and getting a trailer.
I have thought about the trailer option for local journeys as I do have access to a car which could pull one but I’m petrified about getting stuck on a narrow country lane and having to reverse. My absolute worst nightmare. My 3.5 is my comfort blanket 😊

PSD

Visit site
I have thought about the trailer option for local journeys as I do have access to a car which could pull one but I’m petrified about getting stuck on a narrow country lane and having to reverse. My absolute worst nightmare. My 3.5 is my comfort blanket 😊
Mine too. However I’m changing my car next year to a pickup and it makes no sense to have a car that I can use to tow as well as a 3.5. Might change my mind before then though, I do love my little box!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My boss had one that had 270,000 on the clock but it had stopped working for a few years and he did a lot of miles!
Never had an issue mechanically though and still got decent money when it was sold on (truthfully!)

oldie48

Visit site
Talk to the people at John Oates, I found them pretty straightforward to deal with, rubbish at keeping to time but actually their boxes are well built. Its really difficult to find a decent chassis so a rebuild might be a good option.