What is old?

where do you place the most topics?

• Total voters

parsley

Visit site
I have just been reading the post about the cob for sale and was surprised at how many people consider 14 to be old! I always thought that a horse wasnt really getting old until about 16 - over this and I might have a few quams about buying, but not many if I wanted a hack.

SSOOOO

teapot

Visit site
I'm gonna say other just to be difficult as IMHO a horse is only as old as you treat it.

The best ponies in the RS are in the their late 20's and still occasionally have a cheeky 5mins and think bucking whilst cantering is the done thing.

These ponies are out 24/7 and enjoy life

harvgj19

Visit site
My friends have had several retired horses for plodding or hacking, and I don't think one of them was under 18 yrs old. The last one they had went on until she was 27, then her arthritis and the winters got the better of her. As long as they are healthy I don't see why an older horse wouldn't do the job. They are often the quieter types as they have "been there, done that!"

TequilaMist

Visit site
Agree with Teapot would put other....Do think generally ponies tend to age better than horses and would depend on the individual horse/pony.If wanted a hack would take horse on suitability not nescessarily age.

CobMania

Visit site
I was riding a horse last summer, hes 17 and he enjoyed putting his head between his legs and bucking!!!

He also bucked when he started cantering, also he was doing XC

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
my second pony was about 20 when we bought him and we had 2 years of 2"3-2"6ft eventing before he sadly had to be PTS (due to something NOT connected to being over worked, he had a liver problem).

severnmiles

Visit site
Our old mare is 25y.o. She's whipping in and is as young as she was 10years ago. Keeping them in work keeps them young, when they retire they 'rot' so I don't think I'd class anything too old as a hack!

clipclop

Visit site
I haven't voted on the poll. Didn't know what answer to give.

I used to have a pony who was in her late 20's who used to win gymkhana games, show jumping comps and pony races. She beat so many horses over half her age.

At the moment I have a mare who isn't old in years. (Only 23) but she is well worn. Had a career as a race horse, broke down as a 5 year old and has been a brood mare ever since. Only in the last 3 years has she been retired fully and has come to live with me. I don't think she will make this winter as she is very worn out.

All my ponies in my life have been late twenties at least. None of my horses have got to the end of their lives yet. The oldest one is now 23 and is still worked regularly. He has had a nice easy life. Hacking and riding club work.

C x

mandy4727

Visit site
One of my old ponies died this year in Jan. Aged 29. Was still competing all year on her and winning. The other one is 40 in January. But he is well retired and grumpy. But otherwise okay. He won at the local show a veteran class aged 35!!!!!!!!!

SSM

Visit site
Age does'nt matter - it's their outlook - I've hunted a 23 year old!

The old pony (28) where SD was is missing his tazzes around the field with her he is beating up the other pony
tongue.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Definitely not old! I would certainly look at an older (15+) if it ticked every other box. I have talked before about getting something older next time, something that has been there and done it, real schoolmaster that can teach me. I think I will want something that's competed and would still be able to compete, just at a lower level. Horses like that aren't 8, they're in their teens!

I loaned something before I had mine and he is about 25 now, apparently still going strong and still feeling like a racehorse (friend went to visit and ride him recently with new loaner)
grin.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our old girl retired at 28 from hacking as she seemed tired a lot of the time. If your buying I guess that you have to take into account insurance etc, but we bought a horse which was retiring from Landau driving in Blackpool when he was twelve and he died from an accident eight years later. So for hacking older horses can be great.

so03

Visit site
I think it depends on the individual horse.

My tb mare is 28 going on 3. I still take her to little shows and she jumps around the 2' class, she loves it and gallops around. She pulls my arms out, beats the ponies in the jump off. She gets soo excited if I hack out on toll rides.

I think the main thing is that the rider is aware of the fitness. IMO older horses need to be warmed up and cooled down more than younger horses. They will find it more difficult to keep their muscles toned so be aware not to do too much with them if they are not ridden regularly.

sevenoceans

Visit site
I am NOT old (Yet!)!!!! look at me (in signature) I am 17 going on 2! I have done alot racing when i am younger but busy lifestyle hasn't stopped me I now hunts, have odd broco, gallops in the fields, I rule the roost in the fields, still spook at odd wheelie bins. My friend Old'malley was TB and he passed away at 34!, my neighbour Doyle another TB is still alive and kicking at 24 but used for hacking now days

Bess

Visit site
I've hacked out four times this week with a friend who has a 24 yo Anglo Arab, he's very fit and pretty cheeky, he enjoys a good spook or two. He lives out and looks great, no-one looking at him would guess his age.

ruscara

Visit site
Marius (in sig) is 20. He was winning showing classes (not veteran) last year, and is a handful to hack out, loses his head with excitement when facing a jump, and generally behaves like a three year old.
Whoever said that older horses are quieter should take Maz out sometime!
grin.gif

seza

Visit site
If all you do is hack there is no reason why most don't go on until their late 20s. Our old boy is 29 and he loves going out for a pootle round the lanes.

peapod

Visit site
I'm in two minds about this. For hacking, I would say there isn't really a limit for "Old" - it's how the horse feels - my old pony Horace was approximately 42 when he died, I was still riding him when he was 39, and he was still bucking me off!!

However, for showing, the trend seems to be that more and more horses HAVE to acheive wonders whilst still in single figures - my boy is 5, and I know of many many others his age competing in Open classes - they do extremely well, but I do wonder what they'll be like aged 15.

hairycob

Visit site
Bobby is 24 & won a family pony class this summer. Also still loves to SJ. Son is happy with 2' & 2'3" so no problem. And he loves a full on canter on a hack, but does save energy by dawdling in walk.