What IS proof of ownership?

ridefast

Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I always thought passports were proof of ownership, however I've heard several people say (and read on here) that a passport is not proof of ownership. So... what is?
Beetroot for you all

Puppy

Visit site
I have a sale contract/receipt for all three of our current horses, which I do not have for the companion pony we have on loan, even though I have her passport.

dressedkez

Visit site
All previous messages correct - it has to be a receipt - the passport has to go to whoever is looking after the horse - which includes trainer et al - most passports make it clear, that it is not proof of ownership - but don't ever take delivery of a horse without the passport - except of course unless you are me! The horse I currently have does not even have a passport, despite being 5 years old....arghhhh!! But we will sort, hopefully....

Mike007

Visit site
Ownership is a concept in law. Proof of it is what the courts decide is proof. No document passport or receipt is "proof" they are merely evidence supporting the claim of ownership.They can all be challenged in court. The more evidence you have ,the easier it is to prove ownership,but ultimately it is what the courts decide.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
With so many horse thefts you would have thought the means of proof of ownership would have been sorted out by now... its not like owning a horse is a new concept is it :rolleyes:

PandorasJar

Visit site
Which is why it's a trauma plus the loaner usually has the passport.

And insurance.

I still maintain receipt (I've always been advised for any purchase - this includes bank statement showing purchase funds as accepted by trading standards in lieu of receipt) and any additional proof. For homebreds I've got covering certs and if they want to come DNA test the broodie to confirm they're welcome to try and get past her legs!

All this means nothing if horse is stolen though.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Think doing some kind of test in court would be good. Two possible owners shout the horse from opposing sides of court & see who it goes to.
Seriously, as mike said. For my two I have receipts, passports, papers for one, & loads of other evidence, photos, witnesses, comp details for my mare from years ago etc.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Think doing some kind of test in court would be good. Two possible owners shout the horse from opposing sides of court & see who it goes to.
Seriously, as mike said. For my two I have receipts, passports, papers for one, & loads of other evidence, photos, witnesses, comp details for my mare from years ago etc.

One of mine would see who had the best food offering and the other would have a meltdown that she was in court. OH could probably win his over though!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lol pan. One of mine would just assume it was a room full of admirers & prance about accordingly while they worshipped her. The other would go & play with things, probably the judges wig, & drink from peoples water glasses.

SpruceRI

Visit site
But a receipt from a private sale is often just a slip of paper saying 'sold, the chestnut horse called Fred' - that's what I've received in the past.

What's to stop someone stealing a horse and producing a piece of paper like that?

If the passport isn't a proof of ownership then you've got no proof that you actually bought the horse off the owner, have you?