What is selling at the moment?

Skhosu

Visit site
What type of horses do you think are best for buying to sell?
Project horses?
Event types?
Showjumpers?
Games ponies?
Cobs?
RC?
Ponies in general?

Needs to be able to be picked up cheap, and sold in in 2-3 months ish?
confused.gif

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
Anything picked up too cheap, unless your very lucky is very very likely to have something wrong with it so i suggest you spend as much as you can - obv if you want to sell it, you dont want to pay loads but if you see a REALLy cheap horse, beware.

Cobs sell well, but are expensive to buy. Safe all rounders, and im finding well bred foreign horses are in much demand.
You are best off with a safe horse in bewteen 15 and 16hh suitable any rider. No tbs, no vices, no blemishes etc

Skhosu

Visit site
That's what I was thinking.
We have been offered the oppurtunity to do a bit of low level buyin g and selling by dad, am thinking small ponies=cheap to buy, would be looking at something easy to do.
A 15-16hh was my next thought, maybe not a superstar but RC material?
Cobs would be ideal but as you say the initial outlay is quite steep!

Also, if buying to sell, would you vet? I'm thinking maybe do a basic two star?
Not on the table until feb./after really but we'll see!

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
we dont bother with vettings.
A vetting only is valid for day of vetting.
If your chosen horse goes chronically lame the lext day, as long as there was no bute in the blood sample taken you are still stuck with alame horse.
I think vettings are a waste of time to be honest as also you could have it vetted and anopthervet could fail it

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
In the last 12 months, I have sold 1) very talented 14.2 mare (FEI/BSJA) for £5k, 2) a plain average 16.2 gelding for £4k and cant give away the safest most fantastic childs pony 13.2, because everybody wants something that would look like a show pony! I cant make sense of the market but I for one would certainly not like to be dealing in ordinary horses, but the special ones incur more risk for higher rewards!

evsj

Visit site
at my yard they do a bit of buying and selling on the side and have been importing relatively cheap irish horses. None of them particularly special - one was a 9 yo hunter that I was helping to school the nervousness out of - but all six have been sold within two months of them arriving at the yard. They haven't even tried particularly hard to advertise them and at this time of year it is meant to be harder to sell them on.

metalmare

Visit site
I believe that natives (esp connemaras) X arabs are selling well at the mo as endurance is picking up more followers.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we dont bother with vettings.
A vetting only is valid for day of vetting.
If your chosen horse goes chronically lame the lext day, as long as there was no bute in the blood sample taken you are still stuck with alame horse.
I think vettings are a waste of time to be honest as also you could have it vetted and anopthervet could fail it

[/ QUOTE ]

Vettings are designed to pick up more than just 'general lameness'. I agree that on that basis a horse could pass one day and fail the next......but a vet is also looking at heart, lungs and various other internal organs that 'ordinary' people simply do not have the equipment or often the knowledge to pick up on.

filly190

Visit site
I am not so sure, I know three people who have been trying to sell decent all rounders since the summer. I suspect they are asking too much though

siennamum

Visit site
The only thing I wouldn't touch is smaller children's ponies. Unless you can put a small child on board and send the pony off to PC & local shows for a few months then people simply won't touch it for much money. There are so many noce small ponies about which won't sell because they are an unknown quantity with a child on board and as people are risk averse when it comes to their own children, they will pay more for a sure thing.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I think safe all-rounders. The type that can do a bit of everything without getting over excited about it all! The Coloured Gypsy cobs, i think are the way to go!

Skhosu

Visit site
see, we have a very small, okish 10yr old who could be a 'dummy' rider, plus sister has played mounted games to a reasonably high standard (windsor) so thinking a games pony might be a possiblity.'
Perhaps anything 12.2 up to about 15.2/16hh I think we would feel confident working with/bringing on.
Thanks for the thoughts.I'm reckoning if it's safe, can see a few bits of the world and quiet there shouldn't be a problem selling really?
Any suggestions on whats not selling?