What is Stringhalt?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Have just been up the yard and was turning out my boy, and as we walked to the field, someone mentioned that he looks like he has stringhalt in one of his back legs. I have heard of it, but have no idea what it is or what it means. Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

icemaiden113

Visit site
Stringhalt is an abnormal gait that involves exaggerated flexion of one or both hock joints, resulting in a rapid elevation of the hind limb. The abnormality might be subtle--such as minor upward jerking of the hind leg, or so severe that the canon bone and fetlock are pulled violently against the horse's belly. Some severely affected horses have difficulty moving forward because of the over-flexion at every step. Signs could be exaggerated in nervous or agitated horses, or when they are backed.
Just found this on another site for you, i used to have one with string halt, and it doesn't usually affect them in anyway.

tinker512

Visit site
One of Grade A SJers had it at a old yard I used to work at...as I said Grade A so didnt really affect her, hocks just pinged up over jumps!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Stringhalt: Horses affected by stringhalt have an odd hindleg action, lifting the legs over-high and slamming them down hard. In some countries, dandelion poisoning may be implicated. Muscle relaxants can be an effective treatment; surgery is sometimes used.

As lifted of the internet.